Ocean Cay

tofubeast

The last time my wife and I were at Ocean Cay was immediately prior to the pandemic. Meals on the Yacht Club area were prepared and served from mobile kitchens. Is that still the situation, or are they prepared in a hard facility now?

52 minutes ago, Safe77 said:

The last time my wife and I were at Ocean Cay was immediately prior to the pandemic. Meals on the Yacht Club area were prepared and served from mobile kitchens. Is that still the situation, or are they prepared in a hard facility now?

This is the kitchen facility next door to Ocean House. The white doors are restrooms the door on the far right (open) is the kitchen. Also showers. And a 360 degree video from the veranda of OH.

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2331.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

"What will happen with Ocean House and the Yacht Club Beach, when they visit Ocean Cay?"

An added mystery...

What will be available to Explora cruisers when they are on OC? Stops at the island are mentioned in some Explora itineraries.

Thanks for all the replies to my

post. We had a lovely and relaxing day on Ocean Cay. Despite our sailing being sold out, there was still plenty of space on the island if you wanted to be away from crowds. Gorgeous weather this time of year as the humidity is going down. 

Sharing a couple pics from this past Sunday. 

B9538041-B972-4C9C-91FA-7ACC89AE93E6.jpeg

5441505E-5347-40B1-BAF5-890D3020BB06.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were at Ocean Cay on Friday (10/21). For such a relatively new facility, MSC has done a great job so far. It will take time for planted trees to grow large enough to provide useful shade. Likewise, it will take time for corals to grow on live rock that has been placed in the waters in various places around the island. That being said, it will be interesting to see how this place develops in another 10 years.

Tips:

1. Take a few minutes to look at the map (see post #33 in this thread). Note that there is no bridge connecting Bimini Beach to Paradise Sands/The Spa/Wedding Pavilion. So no 'circle' walk. You'll either have to walk or ride a tram around the long way to get from one spot to the other. 

2. Wander around the island. It's not too big and the remote beaches are usually much less crowded. 

3. When walking on the paved paths, be alert for approaching vehicles.   

4. Umbrellas and chairs at Lighthouse Beach are first-come, first-served. Get there early or they will already have been claimed by others.

5. The shower/restroom facilities located further away from the ship are far less crowded. Often nobody waiting, so you can take your time and do a thorough job washing off sand and salt before you head back to the ship.

6. No diet sodas available at Lighthouse Bar.

7. It was very windy at Bimini Beach and Sunset Beach when we stopped by in the afternoon. There was a lifeguard on a jet ski at Bimini Beach. I don't recall whether there was one at Sunset Beach.

8. If you're wearing open toe shoes, beware there are plants with burrs on the island. We first noticed the burrs while walking around Bimini Beach after one had worked its way into my wife's water shoes. When I attempted to remove one of my shoes to check, I jabbed myself on a burr; several were imbedded into the sole of both shoes. These things are really sharp! We don't think the burrs came from the sandy beach area, but rather where the paved path ends and becomes a hardpack area sporadically covered by small vegetation. After leaving the area, no further issues with burrs.

9. Enjoy the beautiful setting.  

• Thanks 2

So are drinks & food included on the island? 

Most private islands are on other lines but we were surprised at Great Stirrup Cay on NCL that they weren't.

I am on a 7 day that includes a stop at Ocean Cay. I am considering adding a 5 day cruise immediately prior as the price is so great with the current promo plus no solo supplement.

3 days total at Ocean Cay over 12 days seems excessive, but I've been known to stay on the ship on port days too so no worries.

1st time on MSC...looking forward to it!

Edited by KKB

22 minutes ago, KKB said:

Most private islands are on other lines but we were surprised at Great Stirrup Cay on NCL that they weren't.

I am on a 7 day that includes a stop at Ocean Cay. I am considering adding a 5 day cruise immediately prior as the price is so great with the current promo plus no solo supplement.

3 days total at Ocean Cay over 12 days seems excessive, but I've been known to stay on the ship on port days too so no worries.

So you're trying to get away from Nebraska football, huh? Sorry, I couldn't resist, lol. 

Your MSC beverage package (if purchased) is available at Ocean Cay. If you didn't purchase a MSC beverage package, drinks will be an additional cost at the various bars/coffee bar on the island.

Seakers Food Court (buffet) and food trucks are complimentary. The ship's buffet should be open for lunch while at Ocean Cay but might have limited hours.

Seafood Shack and Smiling Fish Ice Cream Parlor are additional cost.

Ocean House Restaurant is Yacht Club only.

11 minutes ago, dwc13 said:

So you're trying to get away from Nebraska football, huh? Sorry, I couldn't resist, lol. 

Well cruising in Feb...so long over. But I've been OVER NE football for awhile...now, I'm still a lifelong fan & we have season tix, but GEE WHIZ.

Our 2 oldest went to TCU so they are keeping our football fun alive this year! 

Good to hear food & beverages are included--it's a lot nicer that way!

Edited by KKB

8 hours ago, KKB said:

Well cruising in Feb...so long over. But I've been OVER NE football for awhile...now, I'm still a lifelong fan & we have season tix, but GEE WHIZ.

Our 2 oldest went to TCU so they are keeping our football fun alive this year! 

Good to hear food & beverages are included--it's a lot nicer that way!

We passed through Nebraska last year on our way back from a long road trip out west. Stopped off in North Platte long enough for a Runza or 3 and a visit to the Golden Spike Tower. Priorities, right? February is a great time to get away from Lincoln. The wind off the plains that time of year can be brutal. Even better that you'll be going on a cruise.

Ocean Cay is very nice. My wife saw a decent size sting ray while snorkeling at Lighthouse Beach. If you look closely at the water while crossing the bridge connecting South Beach to North Beach, you can spot fish just hanging out. Consider arriving at the buffet on the island earlier. It's one of the few places that has shade on the island and the line gets longer as lunchtime approaches. 

12 hours ago, KKB said:

Hello 👋 

We had food and drink at great stirrup but not at harvest caye 🙂 

9 hours ago, dwc13 said:

We passed through Nebraska last year on our way back from a long road trip out west. Stopped off in North Platte long enough for a Runza or 3 and a visit to the Golden Spike Tower. Priorities, right? February is a great time to get away from Lincoln. The wind off the plains that time of year can be brutal. Even better that you'll be going on a cruise.

ANYTIME is a good time to get away from Lincoln & be on a cruise!😊

I'm taking that literally this year. 

I retired in May & have declared this "RETIREMENT YEAR" with the goal of a cruise/month.

June had a golf tourney in KC but July-Feb--CRUISES!

March hitting Vegas & April another cruise.

Now just looking at May.....

(DH has golf league May1-August 30 so I try to keep him to 1 summer cruise!)

Runzas--used to LOVE those things, but gluten isn't my friend anymore. 

Ah, well, they have great chili at least.

I have not driven out west since the tower was completed!

I've got cousins in Denver & a lot of free time so SOON. 

On 10/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, FireEater said:

Ahhh, another reason to go YC.  All are set up and available most of the day on their beach no extra charge.  Towels are already on the chair.

I think I am going to like my first time in YC in January.

Yup.  Love the YC Beach.

IMG_4243.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I briefly went snorkeling at sunset beach.  Visibility was great but nothing to see other than fish.  I swam out beyond the buoys to see if the dark area was coral (or just sea grass) but was quickly intercepted by a staff member on a jet ski saying I couldn't go out that far.  I looked around elsewhere but didn't see anything worthwhile.

Sunset beach is quieter but there is a LOT of rocks/coral when entering the water.  BRING WATER SHOES.  (I did but left them on the ship). 

The farthest beach was closed since our cruise was well below capacity (Bimini I think).

Overall the island is nice but it's big enough to discourage going back and forth to the ship.  The bars were a little chaotic and didn't have a big selection, but can use your drink package no problem.  If there was free food I missed it. 

Interesting that they have housing for the staff on the island.

9 hours ago, greg_atlanta said:

Overall the island is nice but it's big enough to discourage going back and forth to the ship.  The bars were a little chaotic and didn't have a big selection, but can use your drink package no problem.  If there was free food I missed it. 

There is. There is a lunch buffet closer to the lagoon beach.  Also a number of food trucks are parked around the island and they have free and paid options. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 5:34 PM, no1talks said:

An added mystery...

What will be available to Explora cruisers when they are on OC? Stops at the island are mentioned in some Explora itineraries.

Is there a chance two ships could be docked at Ocean Cay? Maybe a non-YC ship and an Explora ship could both be there at the same time.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, peder said:

Is there a chance two ships could be docked at Ocean Cay? Maybe a non-YC ship and an Explora ship could both be there at the same time.

I do not believe the dock is long enough for a ship like Meraviglia or Seashore and an Explora ship.  If you look at my zoom picture attached, Meraviglia extends the full length of the current dock.  They may decide to extend it in the future, but as others have mentioned, I am not sure how they would handle the Yacht Club beach if a regular ship and an Explora ship were there at the same time.

IMG_4266.JPG

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

I do not believe the dock is long enough for a ship like Meraviglia or Seashore and an Explora ship.  If you look at my zoom picture attached, Meraviglia extends the full length of the current dock.  They may decide to extend it in the future, but as others have mentioned, I am not sure how they would handle the Yacht Club beach if a regular ship and an Explora ship were there at the same time.

IMG_4266.JPG

And I think in another thread maybe? Someone ran the math on the number of YC rooms on the World Europa/World America type of ships, and the YC restaurant on Ocean Cay already can't accommodate that many YC guests, much less an entire Explora ship of YC-level passengers. So it seems likely that some changes will be made at OC, even if they are not able to or ever plan to add room for two ships at the same time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions..asked on the port of call board but perhaps here is better..

Will be our first time at Ocean Cay and we are staying late/overnight..wondering what there is to do for free (read a review of a parade/lightshow mentioned), and if its an organized thing/event?  Would the idea be you do the beach for the day then go back to ship for dinner/show then go back to the island for night activities?

Also, I have read there is a beach with a net, anyone know which beach this is?

And where the paddleboard/kayaks are, is that sectioned off from sharks etc, or open waters?  Can you rent on the spot day, or must be pre booked?

Finally, is there a beach volleyball net?

Thx!