Wheelchair Storage? Tiny Inside Cabin

curtdesilets

My wife and I are on an upcoming Koningsdam California Coastal Cruise, but we have a very very tiny inside cabin (perhaps the 143 sf one!) 

She has limited mobility and we use a folding wheelchair about half of the time when needed.

Looks like there really is nowhere to stow the wheelchair, the room is so small. Aisleways are inches wide! 

Will there be space outside the cabin?  Any ideas will be appreciated.  Thanks! 

No place outside the cabin.  Perhaps the cabin steward can store it for you at night.  I gather your cabin is not an accessible one?  I think if you have the beds separated you could store the WC at the foot of the bed and still access the bed, especially if the nightstand can be moved to between the beds.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Is there room in the shower to store it overnight? 
Could the one who doesn't use it keep it in the aisle on that side during the night, then move it out of the way as needed? 

You might also be able to make arrangements for the non-disabled person to have the Front Desk keep it overnight. Just bring the disabled person to the cabin for the night, bring it to the Front Office, then pick it up in the morning when the disabled person is ready to leave. Inconvenient, perhaps, but it would leave room inside the cabin. 

Remember, though, even when the disabled person goes to the cabin during the day, the wheelchair cannot be left in the passageway. 

• Like 2

I looked at plenty of pics of inside cabins on cruisedeckplans and it can be stored at the foot of the bed if separated, and there is space between the nightstand and the desk, as long as it is folded.  It will have to be folded to get into the cabin, anyway.  EM

I use a small scooter. We spent 50 days in a small inside cabin. The scooter fit between the desk and foot of the bed with room to get to the bathroom, the beds were together. I know a collapsed wheelchair will fit.

FYI I left the scooter out occasionally during the day with no complaints. Even housekeeping has room for their carts.

40 minutes ago, jettaleea said:

FYI I left the scooter out occasionally during the day with no complaints. Even housekeeping has room for their carts.

It may depend on which class of ship a scooter is left outside whether or not there is room. On one cruise there was someone a few cabins down who routinely left a wheelchair outside their door during the day. I could not get by in my scooter, as there wasn't enough room. 
Same is true when people leave their meal trays in the passageway---not enough room to get by in a scooter. 

You may not have heard any complaints, but that doesn't necessarily mean no one was inconvenienced. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, jettaleea said:

You may have gotten away with this on your particular sailing, but it's certainly not allowed. If there were an emergency, all passageways need to be entirely clear for unencumbered transit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

please be kind and considerate.

I use a power wheelchair and likely could not get past a folded wheelchair left outside a cabin and in the passageway. 

I keep my equipment in my cabin, unless I’m using it. I expect others to do the same, consistent with the ship’s policy.

• Like 3

HAL has size limits on their site for all handicap equipment. If everyone abides by the rules there is plenty of room in the hallways. I am currently on the Westerdam and the room steward has urged me to leave the scooter out since it is so difficult to get into the cabin. As I said originally it is very small and only weighs 47 pounds.

If I leave it out it is for a short period of time, not hours.

56 minutes ago, jettaleea said:

HAL has size limits on their site for all handicap equipment. If everyone abides by the rules there is plenty of room in the hallways.

Someday you may find out the hard way that not all passageways have the same width. 
A little consideration of others goes a long way. 

I know on the Pinnacle ship I was on my scooter cleared the stewards' cart with very little room to spare. His cart was much narrower than a wheelchair. 
I have had trouble getting past a parked wheelchair on other classes, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Directly from the HAL website: 

For the safety of all guests and crew, scooters and other mobility equipment need to be securely stored and charged in the guest’s stateroom and not in hallways or elevator lobbies.  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

Wheelchairs are “other mobility equipment.” Passageways are not wide enough for two chairs to easily pass each other. Keep your equipment in your cabin.

1 hour ago, jettaleea said:

HAL has size limits on their site for all handicap equipment. If everyone abides by the rules there is plenty of room in the hallways. …

If I leave it out it is for a short period of time, not hours.

• Like 5

On 10/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, FOPMan said:

No issue with door it's getting it around the bed.

OP here. Thanks for all the advice.  We can manage. Our disability is rather new so practice makes perfect.  The chair is quite advanced and will separate into parts.  Under the bed makes the best sense so we will not trip over it. Again, she only uses it sparingly.  I wholeheartedly agree that their should be no obstructions in the public aisleways!  - Curt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is not even an issue for debate.  There are international safety rules (SOLAS) that dictate much of what must be done (at a minimum) to ensure the safety of passengers and crew.  One requirement is that items such as wheelchairs/scooters cannot be stored in the corridors since they are a constant hazard to the fast egress of folks in an emergency and an even bigger obstacle if, God forbid, there is a corridor with smoke obscuring the view (crawl along the floor and follow the floor-level emergency lighting).

Bottom line is that folks who have equipment need to make sure they book a cabin of sufficient size to handle their chair or scooter!  It is their responsibility since the cruise line cannot know the individual requirements of each soul aboard!  

One other thought.  Ships do sometimes have real emergencies when folks need to change locations in a hurry!  While every ship has procedures to help folks with mobility limitations, the best plans can easily fail in a real emergency!  Folks need to be prepared to help themselves!  If I were relying on a chair or scooter, I would certainly want it in a location where I have immediate access.... which means inside my cabin/suite! 

Hank

• Thanks 1

A disabled colleague of mine went on a cruise and booked a room across from her parents, instead of booking an ADA room.  She did not disclose that she had a motorized wheelchair.  She was physically incapable of folding her chair by herself, so when she went out late without her parents, she would leave it parked outside her room, and every morning, she would find her chair folded up and/or moved.

Not to get into a philosophical debate...but I questioned why she just didn't book an ADA room.  And she questioned why a newer ship was so ADA unfriendly.  Anyway, just sharing a story.

20 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

A disabled colleague of mine went on a cruise and booked a room across from her parents, instead of booking an ADA room.  She did not disclose that she had a motorized wheelchair.  She was physically incapable of folding her chair by herself, so when she went out late without her parents, she would leave it parked outside her room, and every morning, she would find her chair folded up and/or moved.

Not to get into a philosophical debate...but I questioned why she just didn't book an ADA room.  And she questioned why a newer ship was so ADA unfriendly.  Anyway, just sharing a story.

ADA = American's with Disability Act.

Your colleague needed an accessible cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

This is not even an issue for debate.  There are international safety rules (SOLAS) that dictate much of what must be done (at a minimum) to ensure the safety of passengers and crew.  One requirement is that items such as wheelchairs/scooters cannot be stored in the corridors since they are a constant hazard to the fast egress of folks in an emergency and an even bigger obstacle if, God forbid, there is a corridor with smoke obscuring the view (crawl along the floor and follow the floor-level emergency lighting).

Bottom line is that folks who have equipment need to make sure they book a cabin of sufficient size to handle their chair or scooter!  It is their responsibility since the cruise line cannot know the individual requirements of each soul aboard!  

One other thought.  Ships do sometimes have real emergencies when folks need to change locations in a hurry!  While every ship has procedures to help folks with mobility limitations, the best plans can easily fail in a real emergency!  Folks need to be prepared to help themselves!  If I were relying on a chair or scooter, I would certainly want it in a location where I have immediate access.... which means inside my cabin/suite! 

Hank

Thanks Hank. OP here.  I was thinking more along the lines of storing it with the front desk and utilizing it while necessary. Wife is partially disabled and uses the chair occasionally . Oceania did the same recently for some cruisers, but it was a much smaller ship (Regatta). I think we have it figured out.  

7 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

Thanks Hank. OP here.  I was thinking more along the lines of storing it with the front desk and utilizing it while necessary. Wife is partially disabled and uses the chair occasionally . Oceania did the same recently for some cruisers, but it was a much smaller ship (Regatta). I think we have it figured out.  

A few years ago, we recall being on a cruise (not sure if it was HAL or Celebrity) where they did park some of the chairs/scooters in an alcove at the end of the corridor (completely out of the way of any foot traffic).  But if you were able to get your cabin steward/stewardess to take the chair away, you might find it difficult to get it delivered when you need it (the staff on ships are a bit thin/overworked and not always on-call).   We are in a new era when some cruise lines do not even service cabins twice a day!   Like most cruisers/travelers this all means one has to assess the situation once you get aboard and find the best solution for that particular ship/cruise.   I know this sounds so darn obvious, but it we have long been amazed at how many folks are unwilling or unable to adapt to current situations.   Just came off a cruise where we heard a guy "whining" that the bacon was not like the bacon he used to get on that same line (I think it was actually better).  The man actually "demanded" the "old kind of bacon."

Hank

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

ADA = American's with Disability Act.

Your colleague needed an accessible cabin.

Unfortunately ADA rooms are not always available.  My husband uses a wheelchair. Last year we sailed 30+ days and used a vista suite, which worked out ok. It was a slow, tight squeeze getting thru the cabin door.

This year we lucked out. I kept checking with our HAL PCC and just before final payment a full ADA cabin came available. We will be on Rotterdam for 45 days. We do need to move one time from deck 5 to 8 but that's fine.

We also got an ADA cabin on K for our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in Feb. It makes a world of difference for the comfort of my sweet husband. 

• Like 2