Resolved: The schedule/ship order of when Starlink will be active on the fleet exist

NutsAboutGolf

8 hours ago, FourNines said:

Being Zeniths, don’t you automatically have access to premium internet?
If so, those numbers are horrible in comparison to the premium speeds on the Beyond.

I wonder if the backbone wasn’t upgraded to handle the additional bandwidth, thus the slower speeds?

Yes indeed that is the Premium speeds.    I would say it is marginally better than the older satellite.   Also we are only at about 60% capacity.

I noticed we have a repeater outside our room and a router in our room.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm chuckling a bit -  this morning I'm having trouble breaking 2.5 down and 1.5 up.   Watching news on PC using YouTubeTV on my laptop and it is stopping to buffer every 5-6 minutes.

Speed at 8:00 Am 3.2 Down and 2.09 up

Thanks for sharing, please share any more details you experience during the sailing

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm chuckling a bit -  this morning I'm having trouble breaking 2.5 down and 1.5 up.   Watching news on PC using YouTubeTV on my laptop and it is stopping to buffer every 5-6 minutes.

Speed at 8:00 Am 3.2 Down and 2.09 up

LOL.  To me any number with an Mb after it is way better than the sub 100 kb/s speed I experienced on a recent Princess Mexican Riviera cruise, which rendered Wi-Fi unusable.

14 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

We sailed b2b on Eclipse for AU/NZ…… disembarked on 11/14-

The internet was horrible

May be related to whether there is a sufficient quantity of Starlink satellites in that region.  I understand that Starlink is continuing to deploy more and more satellites, so hopefully the coverage improves for AU/NZ soon.

• Thanks 1

It seems that the Beyond speed was fairly low (sub-5Mbps) for many sailings but only recently shot up to 50+.  Just a starlink in the carribean datapoint...Cruise vlogger Jim Zim is on Carnival's newest ship now, the Celebration (we're boarding her this weekend) and is reporting 50ish; was rumored  Carnival was testing Starlink

9 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We will be on the Apex at the end of the month and hope that Starlink is available then.  Had no problems on the Oasis of the Seas this past August.

It was supposed to be installed this past weekend, so I'm not sure!

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It seems that the Beyond speed was fairly low (sub-5Mbps) for many sailings but only recently shot up to 50+.  Just a starlink in the carribean datapoint

We just disembarked the Beyond on Sunday and can confirm that basic wifi speeds were sub 5Mbps, but those on the premium package were experiencing upload speeds of +20Mbps.

What I found interesting was the amount of clients on one single gateway on the Beyond. I ran several scans of the Guest network and found on average 1500 clients connect at any one time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ben100014 said:

It was supposed to be installed this past weekend, so I'm not sure!

Just got off Apex. It is not installed and had crappy speed 1mb down .5 upload. Really bad just for basic, people with premium couldn’t even stream and kept getting disconnected.

• Thanks 1

Real time ---   I needed to download a software app on my laptop -   The file was 580 Megs and took 40 minutes to download using Starlink.    Speed tests are showing about 5 Meg/second but in real world is pretty slow.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Obobru said:

Sounds like Starlink is making no difference at all. The number of users connected onboard most likely has something to do with that plus like most Musk things it's overhyped. 

Have you seen the recent speed test screenshots from the Beyond?  It seems to start relatively slow then ramps up

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Have you seen the recent speed test screenshots from the Beyond?  It seems to start relatively slow then ramps up

I don't know what's causing the difference of experience, but I was on Edge a few weeks ago just after it had Starlink installed.

I never saw speeds break 5Mbps, and honestly speeds where only slightly better than it was without starlink just a few months ago on Solstice.

I even tried using it at 2AM, and there was no difference.

Maybe there's a difference in geographic areas and Beyond is somewhere with better coverage. Maybe Beyond has more satellite antennas installed. Who knows, but as it is, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal on their newest installation of Starlink (Edge).

• Thanks 1

Wow!!!!!!!

We are in Cabo’s San Lucas today.   Solstice -  She went live last week.

The ship only has 1458 aboard and was still only getting 5 Meg.  Last week we had 1,660 and was the same speed.

I connected to my home Plex server and was streaming. 

Most guests are ashore so decided to run a speed test. 

I spoke with our cabin attendant last week and he said before going live they let staff use for free to test. He said it was fast but slowed after going live. 

AFC6A2AC-52D5-491A-AD17-5801DB52F9BF.thumb.jpeg.782cbb5d37901afdaef6f5d6e17bf498.jpeg

80CE181C-C31C-4ABB-B8F4-54763C22B82A.thumb.png.91fe5a675b0abc6343ba488d2146df4e.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 10:31 AM, Obobru said:

Sounds like Starlink is making no difference at all. The number of users connected onboard most likely has something to do with that plus like most Musk things it's overhyped. 

As a Starlink user at home, I can assure the service is not overhyped. We average well over promised speeds and has been a godsend to us. 

We were on the Beyond a few weeks back, and speeds for those with Premium Wifi were north of 20Mbs. 

IMHO, cruise lines will throttle back the speeds on basic wifi so that they can upsell you on the Premium Wifi. Just another profit center for the cruise industry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow!!!!!!!

We are in Cabo’s San Lucas today.   Solstice -  She went live last week.

The ship only has 1458 aboard and was still only getting 5 Meg.  Last week we had 1,660 and was the same speed.

I connected to my home Plex server and was streaming. 

Most guests are ashore so decided to run a speed test. 

I spoke with our cabin attendant last week and he said before going live they let staff use for free to test. He said it was fast but slowed after going live. 

AFC6A2AC-52D5-491A-AD17-5801DB52F9BF.thumb.jpeg.782cbb5d37901afdaef6f5d6e17bf498.jpeg

80CE181C-C31C-4ABB-B8F4-54763C22B82A.thumb.png.91fe5a675b0abc6343ba488d2146df4e.png

Wow, now that is awesome.

On 12/15/2022 at 6:23 AM, 81Zoomie said:

Currently on the Apex nearing Grand Cayman.  Premium/stream internet is quite slow and quirky.  Even the Celebrity app and celebritycruises.com hangs up.

9C3773F7-8630-4825-B425-CD341491689F.jpeg

Edit, appears the Apex didn't get it until after your sailing

Edited by NutsAboutGolf