Wish Royal would adopt something like Carnival's new chair hog policy

When I was on Anthem in March there were attendants removing items from chairs. It was so nice for us actually wanting to sit at the pool. The only issue I had was a woman screaming at me about how I was in her chair, but I told her when I got there, there was nothing there, and the nice couple next to me told her that the staff had removed her items hours ago. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, smokeybandit said:

It'd be a bear of a process, but it'd be nice if they had a chair reservation process. Free for an hour, then a charge if you want it more than an hour at a time.

Oh great, even more nickel and dining! Don’t give RC ideas 😂

20 hours ago, AtSeaAlways said:

I used to game a system like this on yacht charters. You got one bath towel per berth.  The office would trade dirty for clean.  I would go in the marina shower on turnaround day and gather for trade abandoned used towels and we could leave on our trip with a few extra clean ones.    

Having guests do this vs crew could cut down on bad survey scores- such a nightmare.  

Isn't this stealing?   That one handed out to each person, didn't they expect that back at the end of the trip?    Maybe I'm not understanding 'turnaround day' and you didn't take towels home with you.  

5 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Isn't this stealing?   That one handed out to each person, didn't they expect that back at the end of the trip?    Maybe I'm not understanding 'turnaround day' and you didn't take towels home with you.  

So ten yachts arrive Saturday 9AM. The guests leave towels from random yachts on the floor in the big shoreside locker room.  I grab a few and trade them in- we leave Sunday for a week and then come back with our six issued and the extra towels.  The base is towel neutral.  The towels per boat were counted the moment you return not after you got cleaned up and left for the airport.  

This is the problem on a cruise - if you offer a 2$ bounty to turn in any (chair hog)  towel - no one knows who the towel belonged to.  If the towels are bar coded, if Ms. Smith checks out a towel, reserves a prime lounger and then goes ashore for the day,  a band of kids can turn in her towel, buy ice cream and she gets her towel deposit back.  

Edited by AtSeaAlways

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I seriously hope that Royal Caribbean doesn't do anything like Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc.  

You've heard the saying:  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I seriously hope that Royal Caribbean doesn't do anything like Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc.  

If it solves the chair hog problem then why would you be against it?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AtSeaAlways said:

So ten yachts arrive Saturday 9AM. The guests leave towels from random yachts on the floor in the big shoreside locker room.  I grab a few and trade them in- we leave Sunday for a week and then come back with our six issued and the extra towels.  The base is towel neutral.  The towels per boat were counted the moment you return not after you got cleaned up and left for the airport.  

This is the problem on a cruise - if you offer a 2$ bounty to turn in any (chair hog)  towel - no one knows who the towel belonged to.  If the towels are bar coded, if Ms. Smith checks out a towel, reserves a prime lounger and then goes ashore for the day,  a band of kids can turn in her towel, buy ice cream and she gets her towel deposit back.  

As long as there are ways to game the system, there will be changes to stop it at some point.   Some people spend way too much time trying to do so.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

If it solves the chair hog problem then why would you be against it?

It won't. I'm all for things that make things better.  But, I've been around the Customer Service/Hospitality industry long enough to know that all the new and hi & mighty thing/policies in the world won't work as long as the "Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease".  And believe me, the Squeaky Wheel ain't the people that play by the rules.  I don't know how long the Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc., has had that policy, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that if it's relatively new, after a couple Squeaky Wheels get the megaphone, looking the other way will be the order of the day.  Once someone gets away with ignoring or defying a policy, it is broadcast/spread and it turns into a thing.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

It won't. I'm all for things that make things better.  But, I've been around the Customer Service/Hospitality industry long enough to know that all the new and hi and nighty thing/policies in the world won't work as long as the "Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease".  And believe me, the Squeaky Wheel ain't the people that play by the rules.  I don't know how long the Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc., has had that policy, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that if it's relatively new, after a couple Squeaky Wheels get the megaphone, looking the other way will be the order of the day.  Once someone gets away with ignoring or defying a policy, it is broadcast/spread and it turns into a thing.  

Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc. That's so clever. 

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc. That's so clever. 

I've been using it for a long time now.

Incase no one has noticed, I have a distain for Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc.  I tend to get angry when a business leaves a person (me) who happens to be disabled to fend for an elevator for over 2 hours with a suggestion to take the stairs knowing of the disability.  So, when it comes to Rustbucket Cruise Lines Inc., I'll be very clever as often as I can.

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Carnival has started a new policy that's actually supposed to address the chair hog problem.  Simple:  Staff members will place a note with the time on a chair.  After 40 minutes, the items on the chair will be removed:  https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-makes-a-move-thats-firm-with-guests/84384 

It's a great step.  I'd love to see Royal do something similar. 

Sounds like a good idea for lido deck.  But chair hogs also do their thing in the theater too.  They'll need a different idea in the theater.

I once saw someone reserve an entire row.  Many people tried to sit, only to be shooed away.   As it turned out, only a few of her party showed up.  Wow.

So here's the solution to this problem.  Go up to the pool deck during the late MDR seating.  No one will be there so you will be free to do this.  Grab a deck chair, and take it back to your room.  Yeah, for those in inside rooms, it's going to be a tight fit, but it will be worth it.  The next day, take it with you back up to the deck.  Problem solved.  

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, mpk said:

I once saw someone reserve an entire row.  Many people tried to sit, only to be shooed away.   As it turned out, only a few of her party showed up.  Wow.

We've seen this also,  we simply ignore whoever is trying to shoo us away and sit where we want to.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, ccletzgo said:

The key is to always have an attendant take the belongings off the chair.  When chair hog returns, if they ever do, you have one statement.  "the pool attendant took your stuff after watching your chairs for a while" 

I have no issues with removing items from an unused chair myself

• Like 3

How about you can only check out a towel for the number of people in your cabin?  This will stop one person getting 10 towels and reserving multiple seats for their "group".    If we really want a seat in a specific area, we go early.  I don't get the people who think they can sleep til 10 or 11 and then just go find a seat in a prime location.  I've seen several in the Solarium with baffled looks on their face at 11 am.

Because I don’t want to go up to the solarium at the butt crack of dawn on vacation?  And why is it ok for those who do to leave it empty for 4/5 hours?  They don’t actually want the chair til 11-12-1pm but it’s occupied, move on.

I just can't see a resolution to this age old problem.  Other than, "NO RESERVATIONS", period.  If you leave the area/neighborhood/venue for other than to go to the bar to get a drink or use the restroom, your chair/lounger is forfeited at that time.  You go to eat at the WJ or MDR, sucks to be you!  You leave to go back to the cabin to get your kids moving, you're out.  You leave to go watch the show, bye bye.  

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.  ONE AND DONE!  YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY PERSON WALKING ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, soremekun said:

How about free deck chairs/loungers..... however, they snap shut like a clam if you don't swipe/waive your badge every 60 minutes.

I can imagine the user falling asleep for 61 minutes and waking up in a panic, clutching his badge, furiously trying to get to the reader before they are swallowed by a terminator chair. A slow and painful digestive process for the hydralics. 😵 I do not want to be part of the washdown crew after one of those accidents. 😁 That will serve as an example to others. Be afraid, very afraid.......😱.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Carnival has started a new policy that's actually supposed to address the chair hog problem.  Simple:  Staff members will place a note with the time on a chair.  After 40 minutes, the items on the chair will be removed:  https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-makes-a-move-thats-firm-with-guests/84384 

It's a great step.  I'd love to see Royal do something similar.  

OMG, there is so much of this going on, it was the first thing I thought of for the Prima Indulge Hall outside HA HA.  I'm not a sun worshiper but it still comes to mind.:-D