Port of Monterey ca

azgrandmax3

I'd like to know if Princess has added back Monterey.  According to the city's information, they stopped ships from arriving into Monterey during covid.  It looks like the Discovery will return in March 2023.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/monterey-ca-port-1025

To answer your question, yes, Fisherman's Wharf.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'd like to know if Princess has added back Monterey.  According to the city's information, they stopped ships from arriving into Monterey during covid.  It looks like the Discovery will return in March 2023.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/monterey-ca-port-1025

To answer your question, yes, Fisherman's Wharf.  

We are booked on a cruise that is supposed to stop in Monterey in March. What is recommended to do there?

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We are booked on a cruise that is supposed to stop in Monterey in March. What is recommended to do there?

The most popular choices will be the aquarium (world class, one of the best).  Cannery row which is mostly tourist shops and restaurants, scenic drives like 17 mile drive, whale watching during certain times of the year, golf, scuba diving (cold water, kelp, and a bit of a rough shore entry so you shouldn't try this on your own if inexperienced), wine tasting, and beaches.

• Like 1

So much to do and so little time.

My first priority would be the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I am a charter member and never get up there anymore, but have watched it grow.  You could spend the whole day there.  I would skip the 17 mile drive since there is an entry fee and "all" you see is water and the lone Cypress Tree.  

You would walk through old town Monterey with the jail and what used to be the Capitol of California.

Carmel is several miles south but a nice place to shop.

Renting a car is nice but parking is expensive.  Hopefully a free shuttle will be running.

My favorite place to eat is the "First Awakenings".   Just above that is a quaint town called Pacific Grove.

If the monarch butterflies are in town, that is a marvelous sight to see.

• Like 2

I don't recall there being a dock large enough for a cruise ship to dock in Monterey, but I could be wrong.  I've gone deep sea fishing there and so I assume that is an option depending on the time you have in port.  The Monterey Bay Aquarium is probably the best choice.  The 17 mile drive is beautiful and I can smell cypress trees just thinking about it.  If you are a golf fan you can see Pebble Beach golf course which is on the 17 mile drive as well.  A drive to Carmel-by-the-Sea is a great idea too.  It's just a little ways down the highway from Monterey.  No matter what you choose to do, you can't go wrong.  The entire area is so scenic!  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roatanfans said:

The most popular choices will be the aquarium (world class, one of the best).  Cannery row which is mostly tourist shops and restaurants, scenic drives like 17 mile drive, whale watching during certain times of the year, golf, scuba diving (cold water, kelp, and a bit of a rough shore entry so you shouldn't try this on your own if inexperienced), wine tasting, and beaches.

Some nice breweries there too! All within walking distance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So much to do and so little time.

My first priority would be the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I am a charter member and never get up there anymore, but have watched it grow.  You could spend the whole day there.  I would skip the 17 mile drive since there is an entry fee and "all" you see is water and the lone Cypress Tree.  

You would walk through old town Monterey with the jail and what used to be the Capitol of California.

Carmel is several miles south but a nice place to shop.

Renting a car is nice but parking is expensive.  Hopefully a free shuttle will be running.

My favorite place to eat is the "First Awakenings".   Just above that is a quaint town called Pacific Grove.

If the monarch butterflies are in town, that is a marvelous sight to see.

I think I might disagree with your about the views along the 17 mile drive.  However, while the 17 mile drive is popular and very well known,  I find the drive along the coast in Pacific Grove to be enjoyable too. That would be basically from the Monterey aquarium along the coast to Asilomar.  There are lots of places to pull over as well as some parking areas.

I sure agree about Carmel-By-The-Sea.  It is a terrific place just to take a stroll.  I have no idea what transportation options might be available.  

• Like 1

It is sad that California coastal is not a popular itinerary with only 2 or 3 cruises each spring and fall. Not sure why they cannot do it in winter also. There are way too many Mexican Riviera cruises in winter. Maybe the weather in Northern California is not permitted?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurawynne said:

Monterey and especially its neighbor Carmel are my favorite places to be in the world.  Everyone has their favorite beach but I could spend days sitting on Carmel river beach, carmel beach, or asilomar.  

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think I might disagree with your about the views along the 17 mile drive.  However, while the 17 mile drive is popular and very well known,  I find the drive along the coast in Pacific Grove to be enjoyable too. That would be basically from the Monterey aquarium along the coast to Asilomar.  There are lots of places to pull over as well as some parking areas.

I sure agree about Carmel-By-The-Sea.  It is a terrific place just to take a stroll.  I have no idea what transportation options might be available.  

Yes,, yes, yes.  And I forgot about the lighthouses.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, laurawynne said:

Monterey and especially its neighbor Carmel are my favorite places to be in the world.  Everyone has their favorite beach but I could spend days sitting on Carmel river beach, carmel beach, or asilomar.  

I agree totally.  It is just an appealing place to be.  And, while it is a different vibe, we enjoy the Santa Cruz area too.  For whatever reason, we have found Monterey County to be much more dog friendly.  Of course, that won't be an issue for a cruise excursion.   

PS: I like that place that sells fresh pretzels on the main drag in Camel-by-the-Sea.  

Just thinking about the Monterey/Carmel area and reading everyone's posts is making me want to go there.  However, I'm boarding the Discovery on Saturday to Mexico.  I need to plan a trip to the coast soon.  We are spoiled here in CA with so many beautiful places to see.

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

The entire area is awesome, I live in the area and use to work down town Monterey. It was an awesome sight driving on Highway 1 and seeing the cruise ship anchored in the bay. My understanding is cruise ships are limited in visits due to offshore marine protected areas. Its a nice walk from the pier down to Cannery Row.