On Beyond TA……Issues

Sascol

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Service over the ocean will always be a bit more of a challenge.  Again, these are LOW Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites, and as a result, the distance they view to the horizon is very limited compared to the higher, MEDIUM Earth Orbit (MEO) satellites spread around the equator that have been used for this purpose.

With a limited horizon, LEO satellites over the ocean have no line-of-sight access to the ground stations that provide the terrestrial link for the service, and in such cases, messaging would have to occur between satellites (eating up bandwidth) to reach a ground station that can service the requests for data.  Without massive data servers in space <g>, all of these satellite comm systems rely upon links to ground based systems to complete the connection.  Only a small fraction of the current Starlink constellation have the new laser intersatellite communication capability that would make this possible.

A bit of digging along the lines described above would uncover the fact that Starlink isn't capable of being used for mid-ocean communications just yet, and that the original system is being used in parallel as needed.

This is a case where it's going to take a while for the full constellation build-out to bring the kind of service that one could hope for mid-ocean. 

Here's a snapshot taken just now.  Clicking on it will bring up a big enough image to make sense of it.  Note the little orange markers on land.  These are ground stations that provide the terrestrial links to 'the internet'.  Notice also the green hexagons, indicating where service could be expected to exist, and that none of these are present out in the ocean.

Starlink.thumb.jpg.ff86b5d79539579f2dff852f9258027e.jpg

For any who doubt, here is Starlink's own maritime coverage map.  As you can see, only areas near shore are covered for the reasons explained above:

107239892_StarlinkMaritime.thumb.jpg.67412c9f915244427daa1fb6cca8c9e1.jpg

Thanks for the Starlink maps.  Glad to know that service will be in place for our Feb 2023 AU-NZ crossing on the Eclipse, assuming Starlink is installed in November on the Eclipse as set in Celebrity's current schedule.

33 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Thanks for the Starlink maps.  Glad to know that service will be in place for our Feb 2023 AU-NZ crossing on the Eclipse, assuming Starlink is installed in November on the Eclipse as set in Celebrity's current schedule.

If you look carefully at the map, you'll see there's going to be two at-sea days between Sydney and NZ and the reverse trip where you'll be on the old provider's system, but NZ should be great.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, jelayne said:

The Retreat Lounge is generally busy between 5-7-7 30.

it is not not a bar that you can sit at.  You can walk up and order a drink and carry it to where you are sitting or the servers will take your order and bring your drink.  I can’t really say how well stocked it is, but they have had the things we like.  The Retreat Lounge is on Deck 15 forward, Luminae is on 16 forward so you could carry a drink there. We haven’t felt it necessary as the wine/drink service in Luminae has been fine

As to carrying a drink elsewhere from the Retreat  ,it would be a long way as most other restaurants and bars are on 3,4, and 5 mid ship or aft.

I love the entire Retreat concept.

The Retreat Lounge but , and it's a big but , I really miss the bar setup on the S class in Michaels Club.

I always enjoyed sitting at the bar for a cocktail or 3 waiting for my wife to get ready for dinner.

The bartenders were always friendly and the concierge was right inside the door.

The retreat lounge is not the same level of personal "bartender" service.

Found myself going to the Retreat sundeck bar last time on Edge but heading there in dressy dinner clothes when it's 90 degrees is different.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmdlv1 said:

The Retreat Lounge but , and it's a big but , I really miss the bar setup on the S class in Michaels Club.

I always enjoyed sitting at the bar for a cocktail or 3 waiting for my wife to get ready for dinner.

The bartenders were always friendly and the concierge was right inside the door.

Found myself going to the Retreat sundeck bar last time on Edge but heading there in dressy dinner clothes when it's 90 degrees is different.

First world problems 🤣

• Haha 2

On 10/23/2022 at 12:11 PM, hcat said:

Could not track back to the "Karen" comment by bsticks(sic) And the post may be gone???

Having sailed more than once on E Class, we know some of the issues first hand..

Not sure what that poster knows ...or their history on Cruise Critic..,or on X

Fair criticism and  is always welcome on Cruise Critic...hoping BEYOND will improve as things go forward....they did their best on EDGE to quiet down music during Fine Cut dinner hours..., and did some acoustic softening in BLU after we were there

I’m right here. Not backtracking on my Karen comment.  I have been on four celebrity cruises.  I see this as complaints of nonsense.  That’s my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

We all pay thousands to sit and eat on a boat for a week. Not a lot of 3rd world issues here. 

and what about the forgotten 2nd world ??

They're sailing on NCL??

🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪🥸

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, jmdlv1 said:

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. For me I've never seen the appeal of sitting at a bar and having a drink. Didn't do it when I was younger, and there's absolutely no appeal for me now either. Having experienced both Retreat experiences on the Apex and the Reflection, I much prefer the Airport private lounge model vs the Gentleman's Club model. I have no issues sitting at a club chair and having a server come take my drink order vs sitting on a barstool at an actual bar in Michael's Club. Even in that venue on the Reflection we sat in club chairs setup for two, so for us it's no different in the revised Retreat Lounge concept. By the same token I have never enjoyed sitting at the Martini Bar on any Celebrity ship and prefer sitting in a club chair away from the bar 

• Like 4

We like sitting at a bar but with the bar on the Beyond you can at least go order a drink to explain to the bartender how you want your drink made.  We ordered at the bar on our way in for about 2 days and then the servers and bartender knew what we wanted.

The bar in the Beyond Retreat Lounge.757E91A4-6B88-4AE4-9495-F5A93190A451.thumb.jpeg.d7c2337a914e6cf8ee6587947c340b2b.jpeg

Edited by jelayne

54 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We like sitting at a bar but with the bar on the Beyond you can at least go order a drink to explain to the bartender how you want your drink made.  We ordered at the bar on our way in for about 2 days and then the servers and bartender knew what we wanted.

The bar in the Beyond Retreat Lounge.757E91A4-6B88-4AE4-9495-F5A93190A451.thumb.jpeg.d7c2337a914e6cf8ee6587947c340b2b.jpeg

Ya in the retreat. But in the bar’s on the rest of the ship it was sometimes are to find a bartender.

One last thought on this topic before I leave it...

This may not be entirely on Celebrity but the cherry on the sundae happened upon disembarkation.  We have disembarked at Cape Liberty several times so we know the process of getting a cab to the airport.  Get off the ship, go across the street to the taxi/shuttle area and hop in a cab.  Usually takes 10 minutes.  Not so this time.  After we disembarked we waited in the on and off rain, uncovered for TWO HOURS waiting to get a cab along with hundreds of other people.  We made the flight from Newark that we booked through Celebrity literally by the skin of our teeth.  Not sure what the issue was but there was NO flow of cabs or shuttles in and out like there usually are.  

3 minutes ago, Sascol said:

One last thought on this topic before I leave it...

This may not be entirely on Celebrity but the cherry on the sundae happened upon disembarkation.  We have disembarked at Cape Liberty several times so we know the process of getting a cab to the airport.  Get off the ship, go across the street to the taxi/shuttle area and hop in a cab.  Usually takes 10 minutes.  Not so this time.  After we disembarked we waited in the on and off rain, uncovered for TWO HOURS waiting to get a cab along with hundreds of other people.  We made the flight from Newark that we booked through Celebrity literally by the skin of our teeth.  Not sure what the issue was but there was NO flow of cabs or shuttles in and out like there usually are.  

Why would any of be on Celebrity 🤔

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why would any of be on Celebrity 🤔

Well...just a thought....it would be in Celebrity's best interest to work with their local ports to assure a smooth flow of transport for their passengers.    I am sure they have some type of business arrangements with local businesses.

Did x offer transport to airport? Best bet if they do.

Bayonne is a lousy port for taxis and limos..we  have driven there to/ from LI..not a great trip but best of the choices for us!  Rather fly to Fl to cruise....taking Beyond from there Nov 3rd.

24 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Well...just a thought....it would be in Celebrity's best interest to work with their local ports to assure a smooth flow of transport for their passengers.    I am sure they have some type of business arrangements with local businesses.

Would it be in the taxi companies best interest to know which ships would be in ports so the can make money 

38 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Would it be in the taxi companies best interest to know which ships would be in ports so the can make money 

FYI- this has literally NOTHING to do with the cruise lines.  The nyc cabs are all regulated and controlled by the cab companies and the city. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Did x offer transport to airport? Best bet if they do.

Bayonne is a lousy port for taxis and limos..we  have driven there to/ from LI..not a great trip but best of the choices for us!  Rather fly to Fl to cruise....taking Beyond from there Nov 3rd.

Yes Celebrity offered transfer to the airports.  We book the transfer to Newark with Celebrity and when we got off the ship the line for the bus was long but moved quickly and we were on the bus and at in less than 15 minutes.  We saw the long lines for those waiting for taxi's, the debarkation was initially slow because of backups at immigration.  We were among the last group of luggage tags called and when we got to immigration the line was long but moved extremely fast. They had agents at every window by then but it seems that they may not have had enought agents initially.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, IZZYDAD said:

Ya in the retreat. But in the bar’s on the rest of the ship it was sometimes are to find a bartender.

The  Martini bar you normally had to wait for a drink.  However we had very little wait at the WCB, Sunset Bar and Craft Social.  We didn't go to the Club or order drinks from al Bacio.

On 10/24/2022 at 2:25 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

First world problems

15 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Yes Celebrity offered transfer to the airports.  We book the transfer to Newark with Celebrity and when we got off the ship the line for the bus was long but moved quickly and we were on the bus and at in less than 15 minutes.  We saw the long lines for those waiting for taxi's, the debarkation was initially slow because of backups at immigration.  We were among the last group of luggage tags called and when we got to immigration the line was long but moved extremely fast. They had agents at every window by then but it seems that they may not have had enought agents initially.

Good news is that a new group of pax is now on board..

Hope they have good things to report.

There will be at least 2 live from blogs.. diff staterooms, diff perspectives!

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My guess would be on a busy weekday morning the money is near the airports and closer to the city. No reason to drive empty 20+ minutes out of your way.