Unusual/unpopular opinions

Drew B 58

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Sometimes there are no small tables available, so no choice

Very true. This can particularly be an issue on smaller ships. It has certainly become much less of an issue on larger ships since anytime dining became more widespread.

Edited by K32682

On 1/29/2023 at 8:24 PM, BallFour4 said:

8.) Four and five day cruises are a blast. We can sail from down the road in Galveston for a extended weekend and enjoy a nice getaway.

13.) Cozumel never gets old. My wife and I have done 3/4 of the excursions usually offered and we migrate back to Nachi Cocum almost every time.

The experienced cruisers here will often snub their noses at these. I agree with you. I love Cozumel. The port is fun. The beaches are nice. There are plenty of options to have a good time. It's a shame that going to a beautiful, fun, island like this maybe 10 times in your life is that excruciating. 

• Like 1

My unpopular opinions:

I like technology onboard.  I like seeing everything on my phone, and would prefer to book everything through it. Plus as a way to order food and drinks.

Wifi on ships is not that bad.  It should be better.  However it's not as terrible as some make out.

Entertainment is good, but nothing I've seen rivals Broadway or the West End.  That's fine as I'm not paying those prices.  Some cruise lines though should stop making those comparisons.

I like entrichment talks, but wish the subjects were overhauled.  I'm not interested in WW2, weapons, or ships

Staff onboard are friendly and providing good customer service.  They don't actually care that much about who you are, and definitely aren't interested in a present from your home town.

The worst thing about cruises are the handful of obnoxious people who think they're better than everyone.  

Type of cabin is itinerary dependent.  Always sticking to one type of cabin doesn't make sense to me.

Spending time in your cabin watching TV is a perfectly acceptable way to spend your holiday.

Loyalty programme's are pretty much pointless.

You should be able to pay for priority embarkation, like at an airport

Disembarking times should be possible to prebook before a cruise.

Edited by Meka3256
Typos fixed
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

They are indeed about amassing points - which is, in itself, a fairly pointless exercise; unless your sole goal in cruising is to have the cheapest, rather than the most enjoyable, time.

As you know, I was making what was intended to be a good natured comment.  

To me it is incredibly silly to think using perks from having done a lot of cruises is not compatible with having an enjoyable time.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Meka3256 said:

Staff onboard are friendly and providing good customer service.  They don't actually care that much about who you are, and definitely aren't interested in a present from your home town.

Now you're just trying to piss some people off🤣

On a more serious note..

17 hours ago, Meka3256 said:

Loyalty programme's are pretty much pointless.

Loyalty programs were perhaps the very first application of gamification to consumerism. 

On 10/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, K32682 said:

Shared dining with strangers is a non-starter. I have more than a sufficient number of friends and I have no interest in sharing my table or my life story with you. 

Formal nights are nonsense. I have no desire to play childish dress-up games on a cruise or relive my high school prom. 

Sea days suck. I cruise to see new and interesting places. Floating on a boat holds little interest. They are tolerable if I can find a quiet niche away from the crowds. 

Cruises seem to attract an assortment of people who act like children. Hanging stuff on their doors, hiding rubber ducks, wearing matching outfits and other juvenile behavior. 

Baked Alaska parades are stupid. There are few things dumber than underpaid servers from the Philippines marching around with flaming/sparkling desserts as the assembled diners wave napkins over their heads.  

I love rough seas. I could stare at a roiling ocean for hours but am not predisposed to motion sickness so have no need for magic amulets, silly glasses or various OTC and prescription pharmaceuticals. Being doped on a cruise is not my idea of a vacation.  

What is your idea of a vacation ? 

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Some people seem to like hanging out in cargo pants and hiking boots, ignoring requested dress standards, and resisting interacting with people they did not come on board with — and seem interested in calling fellow cruisers stupid.

Others like to have a good time with new experiences- and are not afraid of meeting people.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Some people seem to like hanging out in cargo pants and hiking boots, ignoring requested dress standards, and resisting interacting with people they did not come on board with — and seem interested in calling fellow cruisers stupid.

Others like to have a good time with new experiences- and are not afraid of meeting people.

Did we ever meet on a cruise ?

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My idea of a vacation is going interesting places, seeing and doing new things, eating local food, experiencing new cultures and doing so with the companions of my choice. There are times when a cruise ship can be the best means to achieve those objectives such as when a destination is spread out over a large area (e.g. Tahiti, Alaska,) lacks suitable modern tourist infrastructure or is a place that I'm content to see briefly but not spend much time there (eg. Easter Island, Iceland.) The boat is a means to an end not an end in and of itself.

Does this answer your question?   

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

My idea of a vacation is going interesting places, seeing and doing new things, eating local food, experiencing new cultures and doing so with the companions of my choice. There are times when a cruise ship can be the best means to achieve those objectives such as when a destination is spread out over a large area (e.g. Tahiti, Alaska,) lacks suitable modern tourist infrastructure or is a place that I'm content to see briefly but not spend much time there (eg. Easter Island, Iceland.) The boat is a means to an end not an end in and of itself.

Does this answer your question?   

Yes,it does.Thank you for responding.

57 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I've met very many people - some interesting and some I would prefer to avoid -- but you will never know if you are unwilling to interact with people you did familiar with before boarding the ship.

I have made friends with people that I met on every cruise I have been on .I have also met people who were despicable.

I believe that I was on a cruise with you sometime between 2011 and 2015.

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have made friends with people that I met on every cruise I have been on .I have also met people who were despicable.

I believe that I was on a cruise with you sometime between 2011 and 2015.

Am I one of the despicable ones or one of those with whom you might have made friends?  Without focussing on time frame (I have been cruising since 1980 - so things tend to blur), I believe have sailed Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, Holland America, Celebrity, Cunard, Azamera, and Oceania --on itineraries from Harwich, Southampton, Barcelona, Civita Vecchia, Pireaus, San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York (Manhattan), New York (Brooklyn), New York (Bayonne), Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Quebec, and San Juan (plus possible others)

Edited by navybankerteacher

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Am I one of the despicable ones or one of those with whom you might have made friends?  Without focussing on time frame (I have been cruising since 1980 - so things tend to blur), I believe have sailed Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, Holland America, Celebrity, Cunard, Azamera, and Oceania --on itineraries from Harwich, Southampton, Barcelona, Civita Vecchia, Pireaus, San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York (Manhattan), New York (Brooklyn), New York (Bayonne), Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Quebec, and San Juan (plus possible others)

I believe it was on a HAL ship .No ,you were not despicable.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Rule #1:  never commingle alter ego and secret identity.   

We were once on a cruise with a very small roll call. The person who started the roll call posted pictures from a previous cruise including her very cute children. I had commented how cute the children were.

Anyway, I was half out of our cabin holding the door open for DW when the cute kids walked by followed by her and her husband. I said what cute kids, and then her screen name. She stopped in her tracks, and said "Ontheweb?" I said "Yes, in the flesh." (though I was actually in clothes 😊, but I meant not virtual.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Did you introduce yourself as Len Quixote or just Lenny. And did he use Navy Bank Teacher as his name?

When I am on a cruise If I am at the Meet and Greet I normally wear an ID that has Lenquixote and Lenny on it.If I get into an extended conversation with a person I will tell them my first and last name.

I believe that NavyBankTeacher so identified himself .