Driving to Cape Liberty - Where to stop for the night????

teacherman

We will be cruising on Anthem of the Seas on Sunday, March 26.  It is a family cruise and considering the price of airplane tickets, we may be driving from the Detroit area.  We would leave on Saturday and stop for the night at some place that would give us a shorter drive ( 2 hours-?) on Sunday morning to the ship, where we would park at the terminal.  For those of you who either live in the area or may have previously done this, where would be a good place for us to stop?  We would have 3 cars and need 3 hotel rooms.   All information/advice is welcome.   Thank you.

41 minutes ago, teacherman said:

We will be cruising on Anthem of the Seas on Sunday, March 26.  It is a family cruise and considering the price of airplane tickets, we may be driving from the Detroit area.  We would leave on Saturday and stop for the night at some place that would give us a shorter drive ( 2 hours-?) on Sunday morning to the ship, where we would park at the terminal.  For those of you who either live in the area or may have previously done this, where would be a good place for us to stop?  We would have 3 cars and need 3 hotel rooms.   All information/advice is welcome.   Thank you.

I can't speak from personal experience in making this trip but based on some knowledge of the area if you're driving via Route 80, Stroudsburg, PA might be a reasonable place to overnight. It's about 1.5 hours from there to Cape Liberty . There are several chain hotel properties in the area including a Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn and Suites and Fairfield Inn and Suites, as well as some independent hotels.

Edited by njhorseman

43 minutes ago, teacherman said:

We will be cruising on Anthem of the Seas on Sunday, March 26.  It is a family cruise and considering the price of airplane tickets, we may be driving from the Detroit area.  We would leave on Saturday and stop for the night at some place that would give us a shorter drive ( 2 hours-?) on Sunday morning to the ship

If you are driving 80 east look at Parsippany, Rockaway and Morristown, all in NJ. The first two should be less expensive lodging than Morristown and offer numerous dining choices on route 46. You will be at most 60 minutes from Cape Liberty.

Edited by meadowlander

11 hours ago, teacherman said:

We would leave on Saturday and stop for the night at some place that would give us a shorter drive ( 2 hours-?) on Sunday morning to the ship, where we would park at the terminal.  For those of you who either live in the area or may have previously done this, where would be a good place for us to stop?  We would have 3 cars and need 3 hotel rooms. 

I've done the drive to Detroit a handful of times and frequently drive between Philly and Pittsburgh so have a little insight. You can take the slightly faster northern route on 80 and I agree with NJHorseman-- if you can make it all the way to Stroudsburg it puts you in a decent spot but its a long 8 hour drive from the D. 

You can also take the slightly longer southern route on 76, the PA Turnpike which gives some more interesting options. Some decent spots to stop there are Bedford (there is the Omni Bedford Springs Hotel which is very nice and family friendly, but also some more budget friendly options as well). That would be about 6 hours from Detroit and then 4 hours to Cape Liberty-- the shortest first day drive I would be comfortable with. The next option is stop in Harrisburg or Hershey-- plenty of great hotel options that run the gamut and 7.5 hours from Detroit and 2h 45m from Cape Liberty. If you pushed it the first day you could get to Allentown which is a little over 8 hours from Detroit and then only an hour and a half from Cape Liberty. That might be a big first day. 

11 hours ago, meadowlander said:

If you are driving 80 east look at Parsippany, Rockaway and Morristown, all in NJ. The first two should be less expensive lodging than Morristown and offer numerous dining choices on route 46. You will be at most 60 minutes from Cape Liberty.

The issue with that is Morristown/Parsippany is a 9 hour drive from Detroit-- that might be a bit more than a lot of people can handle. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I've done the drive to Detroit a handful of times and frequently drive between Philly and Pittsburgh so have a little insight. You can take the slightly faster northern route on 80 and I agree with NJHorseman-- if you can make it all the way to Stroudsburg it puts you in a decent spot but its a long 8 hour drive from the D. 

You can also take the slightly longer southern route on 76, the PA Turnpike which gives some more interesting options. Some decent spots to stop there are Bedford (there is the Omni Bedford Springs Hotel which is very nice and family friendly, but also some more budget friendly options as well). That would be about 6 hours from Detroit and then 4 hours to Cape Liberty-- the shortest first day drive I would be comfortable with. The next option is stop in Harrisburg or Hershey-- plenty of great hotel options that run the gamut and 7.5 hours from Detroit and 2h 45m from Cape Liberty. If you pushed it the first day you could get to Allentown which is a little over 8 hours from Detroit and then only an hour and a half from Cape Liberty. That might be a big first day. 

The issue with that is Morristown/Parsippany is a 9 hour drive from Detroit-- that might be a bit more than a lot of people can handle. 

i would suggest the Red Roof Inn in Mifflinville, PA.  An easy off/back on to I-80,  probably just under 7 hours from Detroit, and a bit under 2 1/2 hours from Bayonne.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

i would suggest the Red Roof Inn in Mifflinville, PA.  An easy off/back on to I-80,  probably just under 7 hours from Detroit, and a bit under 2 1/2 hours from Bayonne.

Having spent all too many nights on business travel in a Red Roof Inn in another Pennsylvania city I would not recommend that chain to anyone. Perhaps the one you're recommending is better than what I experienced but for me they're an automatic "no" unless they're the only hotel in a location, giving me no other choice.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Having spent all too many nights on business travel in a Red Roof Inn in another Pennsylvania city I would not recommend that chain to anyone. Perhaps the one you're recommending is better than what I experienced but for me they're an automatic "no" unless they're the only hotel in a location, giving me no other choice.

I have also suffered through a “Red Roof” past - but this was one that I seem to recall as being OK .  It’s ease of access is a plus, as is the number of (admittedly uninspiring) eating options nearby.  What really struck me was its close-to-ideal distance from each end.

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

At 2 of my kids’ colleges there are red roof inns right by campus. Folks are warned to sleep in their cars if that’s the only reservation available (at homecoming, family weekends and graduation that is often the case, this is in DE and SC).

On 10/21/2022 at 10:31 AM, princeton123211 said:

Great Info.  Thanks.  We will be driving from Detroit to Cape Liberty as well next month.  

5 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

Great Info.  Thanks.  We will be driving from Detroit to Cape Liberty as well next month.  

My personal way of attacking this trip would be to try and wake up early in Detroit and take 76 across to Hershey, Pa. There are some great spots to stay there not too far off the highway ranging from the very posh Hotel Hershey, more reasonably priced Hershey Lodge, and a whole host of newer more budget friendly spots like Hilton Garden Inn etc. There's also a whole bunch of good dining packed into a relatively small resort area. 

Then the next day you are a relatively leisurely 2.5 hours to the port. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, mjkacmom said:

At 2 of my kids’ colleges there are red roof inns right by campus. Folks are warned to sleep in their cars if that’s the only reservation available (at homecoming, family weekends and graduation that is often the case, this is in DE and SC).

Remember - OP is talking about sailing on Anthem of the Seas, and not some Oceania or other premium line - so low cost might outweigh lack of posh accommodations - we’re only talking about a convenient part way stopping point here.

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Remember - OP is talking about sailing on Anthem of the Seas, and not some Oceania or other premium line - so low cost might outweigh lack of posh accommodations - we’re only talking about a convenient part way stopping point here.

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’m not talking old towels, I’m taking prostitution and drug dealers, dirty, police arrests. Someone mentioned the Hotel Hershey which is $$$$ and a nice vacation, there are literally hundreds of clean and affordable and safe places to stay along the way. No need to start a vacation with scabies and bed bugs.

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m not talking old towels, I’m taking prostitution and drug dealers, dirty, police arrests. Someone mentioned the Hotel Hershey which is $$$$ and a nice vacation, there are literally hundreds of clean and affordable and safe places to stay along the way. No need to start a vacation with scabies and bed bugs.

I am not advocating all Red Roof Inns - I happen to have stayed at this one about two years ago. Clean, quiet, inexpensive and helpful staff. No signs of “scabies and bed bigs”.

Is that what you experienced at Mifflinville - or at those you know in DE and SC?

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am not advocating all Red Roof Inns - I happen to have stayed at this one about two years ago. Clean, quiet, inexpensive and helpful staff. No signs of “scabies and bed bigs”.

Is that what you experienced at Mifflinville - or at those you know in DE and SC?

Not me, but definitely others, year after year. Listen if RRI is your preferred brand if motel, that’s fine, but if I literally had a ton of other choices, I might stay somewhere else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Not me, but definitely others, year after year. Listen if RRI is your preferred brand if motel, that’s fine, but if I literally had a ton of other choices, I might stay somewhere else.

Of course it’s not.  I generally prefer Hilton brands - but the topic here was a motel about two hours short of Bayonne, NJ for someone (presumably on a budget) driving from Detroit.  

But, I have to ask: why is it a matter of having experienced them “year after year” if your opinion of the brand is so low?

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course it’s not.  I generally prefer Hilton brands - but the topic here was a motel about two hours short of Bayonne, NJ for someone (presumably on a budget) driving from Detroit.  

But, I have to ask: why is it a matter of having experienced them “year after year” if your opinion of the brand is so low?

Year after year of reading complaints. Just for fun a checked some reviews of their properties near me, and yikes. There are plenty of budget properties to choose from.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

but the topic here was a motel about two hours short of Bayonne, NJ for someone (presumably on a budget) driving from Detroit.  

I just don't know why we're assuming a strict downmarket hotel budget on a ship where suites can go up to $4-5000 a person for a week. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I just don't know why we're assuming a strict downmarket hotel budget on a ship where suites can go up to $4-5000 a person for a week. 

Someone preferring to drive from Detroit to Bayonne rather than flying strikes me as someone interested in trading his time to save some dollars.

Someone suggested checking out the numerous properties by Hershey. We’ve dropped $$$ on the Hershey lodge in the past, but decided it’s just not worth the money when there are so many places to stay in the area much less expensive. https://www.hotels.com/Hotel-Search?adults=2&d1=2022-11-08&d2=2022-11-09&destination=Hershey%2C Pennsylvania%2C United States of America&endDate=2022-11-09&latLong=40.284809%2C-76.652496&regionId=8338&selected=&semdtl=&sort=RECOMMENDED&startDate=2022-11-08&theme=&useRewards=false&userIntent=

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Someone suggested checking out the numerous properties by Hershey. We’ve dropped $$$ on the Hershey lodge in the past, but decided it’s just not worth the money when there are so many places to stay in the area much less expensive.

Their properties fluctuate a lot. I have some business there from time to time so have a bit of experience with it. The rates in the middle of their season, namely when Hershey Park is operating, are insane-- $500-800 a night at the Hotel Hershey and not much better at the Hershey Lodge (which I agree with you is not fantastic value for $ but is less expensive than the Hotel Hershey). 

That being said Hotel Hershey can be had for the low $200s on nights out of the season and it is a tremendous value when you can get it for that-- a true 4 star hotel, great restaurants, nice indoor pool, and not very far off the highway. 

But that was an example-- the real point of my response is that Hershey itself is not far out of the way on that drive (if you take 76) and there are a ton of nice options ranging from Hotel Hershey at the top end down to some newer build Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, etc for more of a budget. There is also a significant range of restaurants and it is much more upscale than most exits you'll find along that drive. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 10:31 AM, princeton123211 said:

Agreed. While I could have and did drive more than 9 hours in the 70's & 80's, I would not attempt nor enjoy anything more than 6 hours in a car today. My suggestion was if they do make it to Jersey. Too many drivers spend the night pre cruise in the Newark area whereas Parsippany  is a much better choice imo.

I thank everyone for the suggestions.  We are not necessarily on a budget, but this is kind of a "Christmas gift" from me to my children and grandchildren.  We have reserved 4 balcony rooms next to each other, with 2 being adjoining.  I guess I am somewhat "shocked" that flights at convenient times are over $500 pp for a relatively short flight.  I continue to monitor the air prices, but am just wondering what we might be able to do IF we decide to drive.  There is also a real possibility  (based on our own personal experiences) that our departing flight could be cancelled, which would mean we have to go back to our vehicles and start driving.  I always "over plan" in case something goes wrong.  I am not anxious to drive anywhere over 4 hours at a time, but the others in the group are much younger and don't really mind.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just reporting back that we have booked 3 rooms for that Saturday night at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Stroudsburg.  Plan is to drive about 8 hours from Detroit on Saturday and then on to the ship on Sunday morning.  We will have 3 cars and park at the garage or lot at the port.  When we disembark the following Sunday, we will get our cars and start driving home.  One couple has to be home by Sunday night, but the other two cars can take our time and even stop for the night if we choose.  Now, just hope there  will be no late spring snow storm.  Thanks for all of your suggestions.