Texting from my phone on the ship

luvs to cruise

54 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Have them install whatsapp and get the cheap wireless plan onboard the ship. You will be able to use Wifi on Whatsapp and text home to them as long as they also have Whatsapp. Unlimited, instead of 50 cent a text. 

Carnival's social plan is now $10+ per day and you can't buy the social plan for just one or two days, it must be for the whole cruise. So depending on how many texts you need to send/receive and how long the cruise is, paying for Cellular at Sea may be cheaper. It's up to each individual person what works best.

Edited by mz-s

In the past, I bought just the value plan which is a little more than the  social plan.  I was able to text my people as well as send photos. 

As far as my friends, only some were able to get texts and photos,  I’m guessing because they’re not in our phone plan. 

Basically I was told that Carnival doesn’t support texting in any plan.  It’s gravy.  

10 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

On my June cruise, I was surprised that I could send and receive I-messages and Messenger messages while connected to the ship's free Wifi to other I-phone back in the US. I was afraid there would be charges but there wasn't. (I have AT&T) 

Some people have success with this, others don’t.  There’s no tips or tricks and it’s not about your carrier since cellular is turned off.  

On most of my cruises, I get select push notifications and a random iMessage or two but that’s it.  

Make sure your phone off!!  be aware Cellular At Sea is expensive, and even more expensive if you don’t get a package via your phone carrier.  My wife left her phone on for a day (not even 24hrs) and we got hit with $60 in charges, all push notifications.

13 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Some people have success with this, others don’t.  There’s no tips or tricks and it’s not about your carrier since cellular is turned off.  

On most of my cruises, I get select push notifications and a random iMessage or two but that’s it.  

Make sure your phone off!!  be aware Cellular At Sea is expensive, and even more expensive if you don’t get a package via your phone carrier.  My wife left her phone on for a day (not even 24hrs) and we got hit with $60 in charges, all push notifications.

My phone was on airplane mode but remember these days you cannot turn your phone off since you need it for the Futtimes, schedules, menus, and messaging others with the ship's app.

11 hours ago, WildBlueYonder64 said:

I have an Android phone, and while connected to the WiFi onboard, I've found that I can send text messages the regular way, but it won't send pictures or attachments. So, I communicate with family back home using FB Messenger. I can send both texts and pictures through Messenger.

This is the best way we've found to text and send pictures to family at home.  The Messenger app works fine with the lowest level social media plan.

• Like 2

We are not technically inclined AT ALL.  Recently we just paid for a single 24 hour internet connection for $13 half way through our cruise then used their internet cafe to check emails, email our family and surf the internet.  It was enough for us since our phone service provider didn't have an international plan.

I've been able to I-Message friends and family back home who also had an iPhone while connected to any of the ships wifi plans & in airplane mode with no issue.   I was unable to send any (text) messages to non-iphone carriers unless through WhatsApp or other social app.