Bringing a case of wine question

oskidunker

4 hours ago, Jeff in Torrance said:

We just brought 9 bottles onboard for a R/T cruise to Hawaii.  Paid "corkage" of $15 per bottle.  No problem with trying to collect a second corkage in the MD.  The guy at the "wine table" affixed a sticker on each bottle.

Curious... The boarding passes still list a corkage fee of $15 per bottle but Princess has stated that the fee is now $20 per bottle. Are you saying that you very recently paid only $15 per bottle corkage?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Curious... The boarding passes still list a corkage fee of $15 per bottle but Princess has stated that the fee is now $20 per bottle. Are you saying that you very recently paid only $15 per bottle corkage?

I paid only $15 Sept 17 boarding in SF on the Ruby. 

• Like 2

Before Princess Plus made the price of drink packages reasonable, I did this once. The crew collecting corkage looked at me like I was crazy, but paying corkage on a case of mass market wine (equivalent to what I'd get now get for $12 a glass with Princess Plus), paying corkage on it, ordering a bottle of whiskey to the cabin, and buying an occasional cocktail by the pool was still several hundred dollars cheaper than buying a drink package or a week's worth of drinks a la carte.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 9:58 PM, Thrak said:

That's correct.  We actually paid the $15 corkage on October 4 in San Pedro on only 5 bottles.  Not paid on the two free ones, plus I guess two more just made it onboard somehow.

Edited by Jeff in Torrance

On 10/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, jwattle said:

This is still the case, regarding a case 😀

Y & N.  If arriving for check-in early, there may be no ship personnel manning said desk.  That said, any new bottle brought to DR or a bar for opening - without a sticker - is subject to the corkage fee (which I know YOU know).  

And for the other folks - the corkage fee is now $20.  But I wonder if delayed implementation???  (On Regal, my first waiter did an odd thing and charged me $12 plus gratuity - like a drink).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, uncleboo said:

You bring on your own wine and they charge you $20 per bottle to store it? That seems pricey

Corkage = the cruise line's lost profit for you bringing your own wine and not buying theirs, not a fee for a service of any real value (e.g., storing or opening your bottle of wine).

• Like 5

I'm not a wine drinker & have zero wine knowledge. Please don't flame me. My question is sincere. What makes wine worth the original cost & then an an extra $20 a bottle? Probably because I'm a retired teacher on a really careful travel budget, that seems expensive, especially for those who bring aboard multiple bottles. 

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

I'm not a wine drinker & have zero wine knowledge. Please don't flame me. My question is sincere. What makes wine worth the original cost & then an an extra $20 a bottle? Probably because I'm a retired teacher on a really careful travel budget, that seems expensive, especially for those who bring aboard multiple bottles. 

Depends on the wine you like and if you purchase it OB.  If I buy a wine I really like, say it’s on sale for $20….if I add a corkage fee of $20…that’s $40 total and if I buy it OB, the price is $73.  Quite a savings and I have the wine I want.

Sometimes, people can’t get their favorite wine OB, or they want it for a special occasion too.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Auntiejo said:

A $15-$20 corkage fee is standard at any restaurant if you bring your own wine. 

In Ontario - (big) IF the restaurant even bothers to amend their liquor license to add the option - $25 is the minimum typical and I run into $30 now when asking.  For the most part, many restaurants are non-cooperative in this regard.  (CAD of course).

Edited by Steelers36

I live in LA and bringing your own wine is allowed at almost any restaurant as long as they don't offer the wine you bring on their menu. As to why you'd pay, I've found the wine selection on board to be mediocre at best, even pre COVID, so I'd rather bring my good stuff from home and be able to enjoy it - even with the corkage fee I end up spending much less than what I'd pay for that bottle in any restaurant. Wine markup in restaurants is massive!

• Thanks 1