Question about pre cruise Covid testing

jadedhart

@Flatbush Flyer  ‘let’s hope not’ is it an answer to my question. And I don’t know why you say that anyway. It’s not like testing pre cruise makes a difference. Lots of people are testing positive post cruise despite vaccinations and pre cruise testing. Including me as I just got back two weeks ago and brought Covid home with me. 

1 minute ago, jadedhart said:

@Flatbush Flyer  ‘let’s hope not’ is it an answer to my question. And I don’t know why you say that anyway. It’s not like testing pre cruise makes a difference. Lots of people are testing positive post cruise despite vaccinations and pre cruise testing. Including me as I just got back two weeks ago and brought Covid home with me. 

Follow the science!
Requiring masks, vaccination, boosters, and social distance has already shown to lessen transmission significantly. Each person denied boarding due to a positive pier-side or w/i 48 hr test is one less disease transmitter. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:28 AM, jadedhart said:

Does anyone know if there are any cruise lines NOT requiring unvaccinated persons to test precruise?

Seems that many cruise lines are now allowing a self administered (not proctored) test.  Except for those itineraries with ports-call that have more stringent requirements.  

Does anyone else find the pre cruise "observed" testing as stressful as I do? It's starting to put me off cruising altogether. It's not that I mind the test - I'm quite happy to verify I'm covid free along with everyone else but why is it so difficult to arrange? It's about time the cruise industry looked after it's customers and started arranging the covid testing itself.

2 hours ago, Hapicrusa said:

Does anyone else find the pre cruise "observed" testing as stressful as I do? It's starting to put me off cruising altogether. It's not that I mind the test - I'm quite happy to verify I'm covid free along with everyone else but why is it so difficult to arrange? It's about time the cruise industry looked after it's customers and started arranging the covid testing itself.

We found a reliable company and booked it. Took a test before at home to see that we were clean.

Some say the 10 minutes are the most stressful to wait for the RN to read it and process the report by email. 

We were very confident that the test was Negative. We didn't mind the inconvenience of those 20 minutes for looking forward to 14 days on the Mary 2. 

5 hours ago, Hapicrusa said:

How is it difficult?

Pick a line that offers pier-side testing -either at no cost or for a fee. Alternatively, get tested at your departure or arrival airport. OR purchase a home test and contact On-Point Testing for online proctoring of approved tests (proctoring reasonably priced at <$50).

Still too stressed? Contact the concierge at your pre-cruise hotel and s/he will arrange a test for you.

The Cruise Line I work for required pre-cruise testing until a few weeks ago.

Up to that point we were finding 6 - 8 positives every week. These positives were denied boarding. They were very disappointed and had to settle for a local hotel instead of a cruise.

Now, without pre-cruise testing, those 6 - 8 sick people are making it onboard every week. Some of them know they have the illness - some do not know. All of them are spreading it to other passengers and the crew.

When we find positive passengers, they are confined to their cabins for the remainder of the cruise. The responses from these passengers has been extremely negative.

At the same time, the infected passengers are infecting the crew, who must also be quarantined. This is resulting in reduced services for ALL passengers.

It also results in the illness being carried from one cruise to the next by the crew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Up to that point we were finding 6 - 8 positives every week. These positives were denied boarding. They were very disappointed and had to settle for a local hotel instead of a cruise.

Now, without pre-cruise testing, those 6 - 8 sick people are making it onboard every week. Some of them know they have the illness - some do not know. All of them are spreading it to other passengers and the crew.

When we find positive passengers, they are confined to their cabins for the remainder of the cruise. The responses from these passengers has been extremely negative.

At the same time, the infected passengers are infecting the crew, who must also be quarantined. This is resulting in reduced services for ALL passengers.

It also results in the illness being carried from one cruise to the next by the crew.

But even with pre-cruise testing, Covid was still rife on cruise ships. 

Stopping testing has made negligible difference.

Plus, of course, the moment passengers go ashore,  any pre cruuse testing becomes irrelevant. 

4 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Thank you for sharing an insider's perspective.

I'd be very interested to know how big an embarkation pool was being tested.  There's quite a difference between embarking 300 a week and 5000 a week.

My hope is that everyone tests before embarking on their cruises 🙏, but based on data points here and elsewhere, my hopes are being shattered on a regular basis. ☹️

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

My hope is that everyone tests before embarking on their cruises 🙏, but based on data points here and elsewhere, my hopes are being shattered on a regular basis

The problem in the UK, is that if you were to test positive, and therefore cancel your cruise,  some cruise companies will not give you a refund or FCC.

You have to claim on your insurance policy, which requires an in person medically supervised test. Good luck trying to get one of those at short notice.And even then, other nembers of your party will in all probability not be covered.

In those circumstances,  given the likely financial losses involved, it is of no surprise that people will not test prior to boarding, or if they test positive, ignore the result. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

But even with pre-cruise testing, Covid was still rife on cruise ships. 

Stopping testing has made negligible difference.

Plus, of course, the moment passengers go ashore,  any pre cruuse testing becomes irrelevant. 

With pre-cruise testing (and denying boarding to 6 - 8 people) my ship was seeing 1 or 2 positive passenger cases per week - and zero positive crew cases.

Now with no pre-cruise testing we are seeing 20 positive passengers in quarantine and 8 positive crew in quarantine every week.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BruceMuzz said:

With pre-cruise testing (and denying boarding to 6 - 8 people) my ship was seeing 1 or 2 positive passenger cases per week - and zero positive crew cases.

Now with no pre-cruise testing we are seeing 20 positive passengers in quarantine and 8 positive crew in quarantine every week.

That's an amazingly low number.  How many pax and crew are on your ship ?