A Mighty Wind - Puntarenas to Valparaiso

highplanesdrifters

A delightfully uneventful journey to the SS Hotel Hacienda Belen. Living at 7200 feet in a semi arid climate one welcomes sea level moist air. Ahhh, to breathe in that peaty smell of moist vegetation. We overnighted at DFW to catch our 9am flight to SJO. Civilized and stress free. Grand Hyatt at DFW delivered a great stay and delicious dinner. Most importantly no 3am wake up and missed connections fears. This is our 4th post Covid cruise. First time we will not need a Covid test to board.   What a relief. I do not miss the anxiety of waiting the twenty minutes hoping for no additional red line. 

Our TA arranged private transfer from the airport which was a bit of a Zoo. Good call.  SS check in was not bad, but by the time we finished the queue was very long. Those folks didn't fare as well. Hacienda  Belen is charming. Staff is happy and helpful.  Cocktails and dinner at the Hacienda Kitchen were excellent out on the terrace overlooking the mountains. Highly recommend the hotel, 15 minutes from SJO. In the interest of avoiding crowded poorly ventilated busses, our TA has arranged private transfer to the ship today.  Let's have some fun.  Off we go!Screenshot_20221025-180116_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.fdd0b45427add42e577accd59fc1b837.jpg

Screenshot_20221025-180051_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.d6a3acc78b7a71d59ec5fd252943b100.jpg

20221026_192208.thumb.jpg.f0b096dc177f1b1267c6f52e10704b34.jpg

20221026_192123.thumb.jpg.7a9461fe92d3dfa4d5b99082fa7d28e2.jpg

20221026_134809.thumb.jpg.b951839bbae113a903dc807f0de84939.jpg

20221026_172319.thumb.jpg.05aba044337474b854940ba47140cf55.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking us along your Wind expedition journey.  Would have like to book these voyages, but dear wife is recoving from major shoulder surgery.  Instead booked, the Wind next June for Helsinki to Hamburg.

So, will enjoy your trip from my office chair vs a Wind deck chair.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Thanks for taking us along your Wind expedition journey.  Would have like to book these voyages, but dear wife is recoving from major shoulder surgery.  Instead booked, the Wind next June for Helsinki to Hamburg.

So, will enjoy your trip from my office chair vs a Wind deck chair.

Wes, so sorry you're wife is on the injured reserve. Will polish the deck chair for you! Helsinki to Hamburg should be interesting. 

• Like 1

The Darien Jungle stop (October 2013, on Explorer) claimed our cameras, when we got caught in a somewhat unexpected rainstorm. Luckily our cell phones were more waterproof... Looking forward to your visit and pictures.

• Like 1

Thanks @jpalbny& @rkacruiserfor the well wishes!

JP, hope the camera dried out.

Darien bungle in the jungle. Can't wait.

Had a great ride to Puntarenas.  Our driver/guide Carlos was top notch.   Big chip manufacturering here along with software support and tech industry.  They abandoned the military and threw the money into education and health care. Travel medicine is a big industry, especially with Canadians.  Who knew?

On our way we had to stop at a fruit stand and buy some baby bananas and Mangos.  They grow 7 different kinds of mangos here. We also bought assorted local snacks and jared picante vegetables. Coals to Newcastle? Nah, A little local flavor takeaway fun.

Check in was a breeze. Suite problems, but we'll save that for another day.

20221027_124707.thumb.jpg.2e63970121eaa1e9477903e37a610df3.jpg

20221027_124725.thumb.jpg.b30a66f2b064deeea83efa8e289d0382.jpg

My happy place.

20221027_124733.thumb.jpg.a5a1f5339246ae96014db49343d08418.jpg

20221027_133640.thumb.jpg.c884343ee44236d023d9ca116a8d6460.jpg

Carlos our amazing guide. A wealth of local knowledge. He had our ride full of cold drinks and local snacks.20221027_134429.thumb.jpg.c98b9fd8e3f60df066e3fda75ee9bcbc.jpg

Wind vs Monster of the Seas

20221027_135056.thumb.jpg.f968d460b3bca477f4d44a80beaa9155.jpg

Welcome committee. 

20221027_135250.thumb.jpg.1ab623171739a8e0bcaf9a3eea825320.jpg

The new rear end.

• Like 4

Would you mind providing the name and contact information for your guide Carlos?

I am taking notes for a future voyage that will involve that port again, and of late, I have been concerned about the quality of included excursions and transfers (not just on SS, however)

12 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Would you mind providing the name and contact information for your guide Carlos?

I am taking notes for a future voyage that will involve that port again, and of late, I have been concerned about the quality of included excursions and transfers (not just on SS, however)

20221028_064851.thumb.jpg.6663b0755c704be3e7b863b7191faf4e.jpg

Hopefully I'm not violating and rules. 

I wish we had come in a day or two earlier and spent more rime with him.

• Thanks 1

highplanesdrifter; more robust Wind posts chock full of nice detail, paired with very nice photos (liked the fruit market and the Aft shot of the Wind)

Have a ? please.  Fizook in a thread above yours has titled his thread Sewage and Cigars and says on the Wind now there are sewage smells around the entire ship from time to time.  Luv2Cruise2016 chimed in and said on her Wind voyage earlier this month there were sewage smells in cabins and corridors much of the time.   Do you detect any sewage smells in the corridors or cabins?  We were on the Wind in 2016 &2017 last and then there were no sewage smells.  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

highplanesdrifter; our friends Bill and Linda from Toronto are on the first leg of your cruise. If you meet them, please say "hello" from David and Gail.

PS- I sailed with my late brother Gary on the Silver Wind in 1995. I'm sure it looks a little different today!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WesW said:

highplanesdrifter; more robust Wind posts chock full of nice detail, paired with very nice photos (liked the fruit market and the Aft shot of the Wind)

Have a ? please.  Fizook in a thread above yours has titled his thread Sewage and Cigars and says on the Wind now there are sewage smells around the entire ship from time to time.  Luv2Cruise2016 chimed in and said on her Wind voyage earlier this month there were sewage smells in cabins and corridors much of the time.   Do you detect any sewage smells in the corridors or cabins?  We were on the Wind in 2016 &2017 last and then there were no sewage smells.  Thanks.

My friend onboard reports smells

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WesW said:

I'll check the thread out. Thanks for the heads up. 

YES, the sewage smell is disgusting. It's all over. In our room last night. Couldn't sit at the pool today. Most were gagging during boarding. Also they can't get our air to work properly. We need to keep our lights off and curtains drawn.  A number of other issues. At this point it's clear the Wind is not ready for prime time. Have a meeting with hotel manager soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I'll check the thread out. Thanks for the heads up. 

YES, the sewage smell is disgusting. It's all over. In our room last night. Couldn't sit at the pool today. Most were gagging during boarding. Also they can't get our air to work properly. We need to keep our lights off and curtains drawn.  A number of other issues. At this point it's clear the Wind is not ready for prime time. Have a meeting with hotel manager soon.

Not good.  I would struggle more with the broken  AC in your suite than the sewage smell, but I am likely in a minority (but would still worry if the smell is just a lead-in to more than just smell  😳). I thought it was only the Cloud that had had sewage smell problems last season -- now also the newly refurbished Wind.

• Like 1

Update:

HAPPY PART

CHEF PIA = Culinary jackpot YIPEE

Alfredo is tinkling the ivories.

We are at sea with good friends and other guests are lovely.

No service issues and Silversea staff are as as wonderful as always.

Refreshing cold beverages are everywhere.  Well except for the Observation Library unless you carry it up the stairs or wait for delivery.

We are not on The Monster of the Seas.

NOT SO HAPPY PART 

Coming to Smithsonian Channel

Silversea Wind at Sea - Remodel or scrap HEAP?

Unlike our Cloud trip in June, staff and  CD are treating us with respect and earnestly trying to solve our problems. Engineering trying multiple approaches for our AC. They have offered to move us. It would be a smaller suite. We are considering it. I suspect this may not be a problem they can easily fix.  Last night we slept in the suite next door which was one degree cooler. 

@Catlover54 we have but a bowl of ice in front of the fan and it seems to be helping.🤣

The sewage smell is also complicated. They have been flying parts in, swapping them out, and trying different types of bacteria. TMI.

The cigar smoker is a problem. We were told he refuses to stop smoking in unauthorized areas and is belligerent with staff and other guests. Staff have been told to call security. Guests have been issued nerf guns and rubber bands to shoot at him.  Practrice and prizes on the Lido deck. They are expecting a crowd and it is waitlisted.

We now have robe and towel hooks in our bathroom. Seriously. What did the people do before us? Just leave them on the floor?  And why weren't they there in the first place?

It's raining. Well I guess we are going to the RAINFOREST.🤣

Working on the smelly app for @fletcher. Using last nights tiger prawn curry and tandoori chicken as the Beta . 

Did I mention we have Chef Pia.  Oh Joy!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Update:

HAPPY PART

CHEF PIA = Culinary jackpot YIPEE

Alfredo is tinkling the ivories.

We are at sea with good friends and other guests are lovely.

No service issues and Silversea staff are as as wonderful as always.

Refreshing cold beverages are everywhere.  Well except for the Observation Library unless you carry it up the stairs or wait for delivery.

We are not on The Monster of the Seas.

NOT SO HAPPY PART 

Coming to Smithsonian Channel

Silversea Wind at Sea - Remodel or scrap HEAP?

Unlike our Cloud trip in June, staff and  CD are treating us with respect and earnestly trying to solve our problems. Engineering trying multiple approaches for our AC. They have offered to move us. It would be a smaller suite. We are considering it. I suspect this may not be a problem they can easily fix.  Last night we slept in the suite next door which was one degree cooler. 

@Catlover54 we have but a bowl of ice in front of the fan and it seems to be helping.🤣

The sewage smell is also complicated. They have been flying parts in, swapping them out, and trying different types of bacteria. TMI.

The cigar smoker is a problem. We were told he refuses to stop smoking in unauthorized areas and is belligerent with staff and other guests. Staff have been told to call security. Guests have been issued nerf guns and rubber bands to shoot at him.  Practrice and prizes on the Lido deck. They are expecting a crowd and it is waitlisted.

We now have robe and towel hooks in our bathroom. Seriously. What did the people do before us? Just leave them on the floor?  And why weren't they there in the first place?

It's raining. Well I guess we are going to the RAINFOREST.🤣

Working on the smelly app for @fletcher. Using last nights tiger prawn curry and tandoori chicken as the Beta . 

Did I mention we have Chef Pia.  Oh Joy!

Perhaps the Cigar smoker is being tolerated as a way of reducing the sewage smell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1