Beware: Molton Brown refillable bottles of toiletries in suite!

CanAmBrit

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

For any who might judge the above comment as elitist. We do our own laundry and house cleaning when at home but our cruises are an escape from reality and that is part of the joy.

Julie

Yes I heard what went on between your housekeeper and your Butler.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
25 minutes ago, Atlavon said:

National Institutes of Health cite bacterial contamination in soap dispensers - just what the ships need….

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126420/

And yet I visit high end hotels and they use the same refillable bottles and after a few years I haven't experienced any issues. 

I am a nurse and I remember my lectures on bacterial contamination during my training and as much as I respected my professor's knowledge but her idiosyncratic ideas re some topics made me wonder. Disclaimer I have travelled to Asia and Bali multiple times and eaten in local warnings.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

Bas just wants a very large S, C and G so he can find what he wants without glasses!

He finds it very frustrating - colour coding doesn’t work. That would require short term memory 😂 

Gel rather than soap also cuts the cleaning time and the need for scum removing chemicals which is why cruise companies are large adopters (under the green banner of course). 

I'm just waiting for fragrance free alternatives and until then have to hump my products across the globe. (Later life allergies from lifetime exposure to crazy synthetic additives) 

• Like 2

This is a storm in a bath tub. Last year on Sojourn we had a choice of multiple Moulton and Brown refillable shower products in our cabin. Much better than small fiddly tubes, indeed advantageous as Mrs. Nops liked one fragrance while I preferred another. It also enabled me to try several different fragrances. So rather than cost cutting I would call it a welcome enhancement.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Also prefer the large bottles.   The study cited is from 2011 and was about hand soap in public rest rooms in elementary schools.

Seriously, how did you guys fit the large bottles in the shower? There’s just those two flimsy and small shelves. Or do you put them on the floor? I am in favor of the large refillable bottle concept, but I wish they would put them on the wall of the shower. A large refillable bottle on the counter does me no good.

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Also prefer the large bottles.   The study cited is from 2011 and was about hand soap in public rest rooms in elementary schools.

I noticed that.  Hand soap in a public restroom is very different from bottles of shampoo, condition and soap in a ship suite or hotel room.  And I avoid the public restrooms on the ship if at all possible.  

3 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

Seriously, how did you guys fit the large bottles in the shower? There’s just those two flimsy and small shelves...

Two big bottles can easily fit on each of the 2 wall-mounted shelves in the shower, with room to spare for my own small bottle of face wash, at least on the Odyssey.

2 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

Two big bottles can easily fit on each of the 2 wall-mounted shelves in the shower, with room to spare for my own small bottle of face wash, at least on the Odyssey.

Hmmm, maybe we just have too much of our own stuff. I only use my own cleansers and hair products and have 4 or 5 small travel bottles, and hubby has shaving stuff. We couldn’t fit the big bottles, so our suite attendant brought us the small ones with no problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, lisa6191 said:

Seriously, how did you guys fit the large bottles in the shower? There’s just those two flimsy and small shelves. Or do you put them on the floor? I am in favor of the large refillable bottle concept, but I wish they would put them on the wall of the shower. A large refillable bottle on the counter does me no good.

huh?  Had no problem with one bottle and my shampoo on one shelf and my wife's bottle and shampoo on the other

For reference, we were on the Encore a month ago. We had 2-3 large M-B bottles of gel (not shampoo or conditioner) of various "flavors in our "normal" veranda cabin. Those bottles, maintained  by our wonderful room attendants, were in addition to the regular small sizes that were continually being restocked. We were fine with the smaller sizes as it allowed both my wife and I plenty of space in the small shower. Personally, I would prefer that SB move on from M-B, to something like Le Labo or Aesop, but I doubt that will happen.

Best, jdk