Alaska cruise in September, what to expect with weather?

swdke

We have done 3 Alaska cruises in either August or September.  The very first cruise was in late August and they were literally having a "heat wave" according to the locals.  Temps into the mid to upper 70s.  Now, of course that's not to be expected...just pointing out that it *can* happen.  The other 2 cruises were (I think) more to the norm being around 65-70 for highs.

Weather (other than the usual rain) is not what you should be concerned about.  Sept. is getting late in the cruise season and you just may find some local businesses pulling the plug for the winter.  If there's something that you just *have* to see I would do your research.

20 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sept. is getting late in the cruise season and you just may find some local businesses pulling the plug for the winter

Nah.

I've done several Alaska cruises in September. Everything that's open in July is open in September. Ships bring $$ and $$ means open.

Hubby and I returned recently from a cruise and land tour in Alaska.   We started the journey in Vancouver, Canada on August 31st.   Out trip was 21 days long so we were in Alaska and Canada through most of September.  It was beautiful and warm in Vancouver.  We had a 3 day cruise of the inside passage and then a stop in Juneau.   It rains much more than it has sunny days.   It was a bit misty but it cleared a little by the end of the day.   On to Skagway where we took a train ride .... again a bit misty and cool ( high 50's).   We then left that ship and headed to the Yukon Territory in Canada by Coach.   The weather was lovely!   The leaves were changing and we were able to see the Northern Lights at most of the stops.   Again high 50's but just a long sleeve and a light Jacket.    We had a 2 day  stop in Denali and saw the sun a bit.   It was probably the coolest of the temperatures ( 40's at night ) and just cloudy days but no rain.  Fairbanks and Anchorage had beautiful weather as well.  (high 50's/low 60's ).   The trip ended with a 7 day cruise back to Vancouver.   Lots of rain for our 2nd day in Skagway and pretty chilly too.   Juneau and Ketchikan were sunny and warm ( mid 60's ).  Overall, September has it's positives.   It is chilly sometimes and can rain sometimes but with Alaska, that can be at any month.   We saw lots of wildlife preparing for their hibernations in the winter, the changing leaves for the Fall season,  less crowds since the kids are back in school, and the Northern lights.  The negatives would be the cooler weather and the fact that the college students start to head back to school and we saw some of the places struggling with staffing.   But that is everywhere right now.    I vote for September travel ever time!    Hope this helped!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swdke said:

For a cruise to Alaska in September, what can we expect for weather?  Thanks.

Done it twice in September. Expect the unexpected.  First time it rained a lot second time they had the best weather of the entire summer. Enjoy every minute of it. 

3 hours ago, swdke said:

For a cruise to Alaska in September, what can we expect for weather?  Thanks.

Can be cold foggy and rainy, can be warm and sunny.  Have experienced both during September.

Sometimes on the same cruise.

Its Alaska,  the cruises take place in what is a rain forest

3 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Everything that's open in July is open in September.

Not always.  Our first Alaska cruise was mid September.  Most ports had at least 1/4 of their shops "closed for the season".  But, there were still stores that were open, just not as much.  And the sales were pretty good, for what remaining merchandise there was.

As to the weather that year - basically overcast and misty most days.  With rain in some places.  Temperatures were high 50- low 60s most days.

It will definitely be either:

Cold or Warm

Foggy or Clear

Rainy or Dry

Our first cruise was a 10 day Alaska round trip out of San Francisco. It was exceedingly rough weather the first night and the second day. After that it was fine. It was cold in Glacier Bay. In Ketchikan I wore a tee shirt and the locals said they hadn't seen the sun for two weeks. It was very mild for the entire time we were in Alaska. There is really no way to know what the weather will be for your cruise.

• Thanks 1

I did a RC cruise last September. I'm a local, so I canceled 3 before I found out with decent weather, otherwise it was lots of rain, and the Royal Princess that left 2 days after us spent the first day in Seattle, to avoid a major storm off Vancouver Island. On my cruise, we had heavy seas on the way back that made us arrive 4 hours late back to Seattle, but we missed hurricane-force winds off Vancouver Island the day before. So in September you have more rain, shorter days, the salmon have already spawned and died, and a higher prospect of rougher seas on the open ocean if you go out of Seattle. The advantages would be fewer people in port and less competition for excursions, fewer kids, and lower prices, and maybe less ice in the water so you can get closer to glaciers. Juneau gets 8 inches of rain in September, vs 2.5 in May. You also get 225 hours of sunshine in May, vs 125 in September. I went this year on last-minute deals the first week in June, July, and August, and had wonderful weather for all of them, other than a few showers. 

I love cruising to Alaska in September! But like others have pointed out, it's Alaska and the weather is always changing and you can't anticipate what it will be even a week out - but you can prepare for a variety of conditions.

This last September it was completely sunny and perfect in Ketchikan, partly cloudy at the glacier, rainy and cloudy in Juneau, and in Sitka it down poured for 5 minutes and was mostly sunny the rest of the day.  Of course I had a windbreaker on when it rained in Sitka instead of a rain jacket and was utterly soaked! So, be smarter than I was!

Since this is a Princess forum, I will say that Alaska on Princess is a great experience! They really know how to do it right, between enrichment programs and fun, you'll have a wonderful time, regardless of the weather.