LIVE from Discovery Nov. 5 - Nov. 14, 2022 - including Sky Suite experience

HBCcruiser

15 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I had water in my cabin and I just asked my cabin attendant (via note) if I could get the body lotion if they even have any. I’m not sure why the Suite amenities are lacking. On the Grand in April we had everything. Is this now fleetwide? I’m glad I bring my own shampoo and conditioner. 

I didn't ask about conditioner when we were there a couple weeks ago but there was a large dispenser filled with lotion.  We did get eye masks, a shower cap, Qtips, and a tube of "chapstick" wrapped in a washcloth then too.  As for the rest it's either supply chain or they are just plain phasing it out.

• Thanks 1

Currently in a balcony on Discovery, doing the short 4-day LA/SD/En round trip. Worst Wi-Fi slowness I've ever seen on a Medallion ship. Spoke to someone running the internet cafe (not the manager) and he said everyone on-board is complaining about the wifi. Luckily in port with T-Mobile speeds are acceptable but can't believe how slow Wi-Fi is.

image.thumb.png.225cfb5d7ba832cd7b73448ac9ca6129.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Garion said:

Currently in a balcony on Discovery, doing the short 4-day LA/SD/En round trip. Worst Wi-Fi slowness I've ever seen on a Medallion ship. Spoke to someone running the internet cafe (not the manager) and he said everyone on-board is complaining about the wifi. Luckily in port with T-Mobile speeds are acceptable but can't believe how slow Wi-Fi is.

image.thumb.png.225cfb5d7ba832cd7b73448ac9ca6129.png

Welcome to my world.😂 At one point last week my DH was joking that he’d get faster responses if he threw a message in a bottle overboard! “Help, send WiFi!” I’m in the Sanctuary getting mobile service as well. 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm on the Discovery now and don't care for this ship. We are in a full suite and didn't get invited to the 360 but our friend in a Balcony did. Princess isn't delivering what they advertise for suites.  There was no daily bottled water last evening. The bathroom has the pump shampoo and shower gel NO conditioner. No bathroom amenities like before, I had to ask for a nail file. The ship is too large for my taste. The service is functional but not personable like on other ships we've sailed on with Princess.  The ship is new and pretty. Last evening there were no seats for the 7:30  and people were standing in the aisles. There were seats for the late show.  

The ship is so long it's a very walk from end to end. I made a mistake not booking a more centered suite, I'm far forward. The suite is so small you have to move the chairs to get to the balcony door.  There are 2 small closets with double rods so hanging anything long is not possible. The closet is approx 36 inches wide, smaller then non suite cabins. 

I just cancelled my next cruise on the Discovery in July.  I am booked on the Grand to Alaska which I will keep  because I like the smaller ship with better amenities. This is my taste, you may the ship.

Hmmm... maybe there's mood sensors onboard and they base their invites on that ... eat more avocados.  

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm on the Discovery now and don't care for this ship. We are in a full suite and didn't get invited to the 360 but our friend in a Balcony did. Princess isn't delivering what they advertise for suites.  There was no daily bottled water last evening. The bathroom has the pump shampoo and shower gel NO conditioner. No bathroom amenities like before, I had to ask for a nail file. The ship is too large for my taste. The service is functional but not personable like on other ships we've sailed on with Princess.  The ship is new and pretty. Last evening there were no seats for the 7:30  and people were standing in the aisles. There were seats for the late show.  

The ship is so long it's a very walk from end to end. I made a mistake not booking a more centered suite, I'm far forward. The suite is so small you have to move the chairs to get to the balcony door.  There are 2 small closets with double rods so hanging anything long is not possible. The closet is approx 36 inches wide, smaller then non suite cabins. 

I just cancelled my next cruise on the Discovery in July.  I am booked on the Grand to Alaska which I will keep  because I like the smaller ship with better amenities. This is my taste, you may the ship.

Are you in one of the Vista suites? I saw pictures and was not impressed with the layout.  Did you get the minibar set up?

I would definitely talk to the concierge about 360.  We are boarding on Monday, and got a phone call this morning to invite us. We have an S5 suite.

I was on Discover a few weeks ago and the WiFi was basically useless.  I mentioned that in a mid-cruise comment card they gave us and recieved a phone call offering me $50 credit.  I didn’t ask, they offered- so they know that they are selling a sub-par product.

I am Sailing to Hawaii soon, and I am going old school-not buying internet.   Just not worth it. Actually , I am warming to the idea of unplugging for 2 weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, donswife said:

We got a phone call this morning inviting us for the next sailing (we have a forward suite). I'm excited!

Yup, I got a phone call invite this morning too. Very excited! I really appreciate the convenience of having it scheduled beforehand and not having to think about that once onboard. 

@HBCcruiser - Thanks so much for the trip report! I've appreciated the Patters, menus, and all the tidbits about Discovery Princess. I didn't have an interest in eating at Sur La Mer when I was on the Majestic Princess, but your positive comments make me want to give it a try. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redrobin said:

Yup, I got a phone call invite this morning too. Very excited! I really appreciate the convenience of having it scheduled beforehand and not having to think about that once onboard. 

@HBCcruiser - Thanks so much for the trip report! I've appreciated the Patters, menus, and all the tidbits about Discovery Princess. I didn't have an interest in eating at Sur La Mer when I was on the Majestic Princess, but your positive comments make me want to give it a try. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

When are you going? We chose 7:30pm seating on the 17th.  We have Sur La Mer for first night dinner.  We had already booked it, just to try something new, and after HB's review we are really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Loving the sanctuary this week. 
CA038450-BC18-44EC-ADF8-78AA32D12B21.thumb.jpeg.6854a10d3604195c874e36359202e76e.jpeg

8344CB66-CE63-4A4C-A224-64FFEFF75DD0.thumb.jpeg.3ed6cdc9d103531e60df1a6b57374f1f.jpeg

Have walk-up or day of reservations for the Sanctuary been available on your sailings? I think I may want to but don’t really want to commit too far in advance. I usually enjoy the busier pools when I can get a lounger. 

17 minutes ago, BelleEpoque said:

Have walk-up or day of reservations for the Sanctuary been available on your sailings? I think I may want to but don’t really want to commit too far in advance. I usually enjoy the busier pools when I can get a lounger. 

People were booking yesterday. It’s not very full though. I think it’s around $40 for the day if you book all 3 days. The first day (embarkation) it is not open. 

Edited by HBCcruiser

10 minutes ago, BelleEpoque said:

@HBCcruiser (or anyone else who might know): I am also curious whether or not they’ve been doing Chef’s Table Lumiere on these recent Discovery Princess sailings? And if so, what’s the current rate and is it difficult to get a reservation? 

Not on the short cruises but on the 7-day+ they are. That and my favorite- Winemakers dinner. 

• Like 1

The suite Experience manager is Anna this week and Vanessa is the suite Experience  concierge. Both are lovely ladies. Unfortunately they can't do anything about situations which are out of their hands like make room for us where there is none in the 360.  Many crew members seem frustrated with their jobs, probably because they are short staffed. The wait for GiGi's  3 PM   was over an hour and Anthony was snippy and didn't even say he's "sorry" there's a long wait. I just melted away and went elsewhere for a snack and this was way past lunch time at 3 PM. There was a long line, the norm for every where on this ship.

When we came into our room (after the late show) which is all the way forward and saw no daily water bottles I had to schlep all the way aft to the concierge lounge to get two. A lot of inconvenient considering the length of this ship.

As a point of reference I have 365 days with Princess so I have many cruises to compare this with. Post covid is not coming close to pre covid cruising. 

I will ask my steward for an individual lotion as suggested. He is more then happy to accommodate, a very nice gentleman. 

5 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I had water in my cabin and I just asked my cabin attendant (via note) if I could get the body lotion if they even have any. I’m not sure why the Suite amenities are lacking. On the Grand in April we had everything. Is this now fleetwide? I’m glad I bring my own shampoo and conditioner. 

Did you have a note pad in your suite?  I was on the 10/29 sailing in a penthouse suite and did not have a pad or pen to leave notes, which was frustrating because I saw my steward, the first day, and that was it.

19 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Did you have a note pad in your suite?  I was on the 10/29 sailing in a penthouse suite and did not have a pad or pen to leave notes, which was frustrating because I saw my steward, the first day, and that was it.

No, but I bring my own just in case. I’m wondering if you now need to request items to prevent waste. Not sure.

• Like 1