Drink tip question

jc foster

12 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Please explain how the cruise line earns back the lost and more expensive product which they could have sold but was instead pirated away from them. 

Oooo, that was a good one.  Arrrgh.

What difference does it make?  It's not "bribery" or "stealing" as some were quick claim.  I  almost always have the Plus package on Princess and on RCI I use the Diamond+ vouchers.  I never, ever get close to reaching my drink limit on Princess or using all of my daily vouchers on RCI.

In addition to a coffee drink or two in the daytime, I enjoy a few drams of Scotch in the evenings and my extra tips have produced better pours and better Scotches as I have stated.

So, how did I pirate anything away and how is there any wrongdoing on the part of the servers and bartenders?

Edited by SargassoPirate

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

wrongdoing on the part of the servers and bartenders?

Because they are giving you something which you have not paid for. They are therefore stealing from the company.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

See my post above wowzz.

You have paid for drinks up to a maximum of $12 with the PP package. If you are given a drink in excess of $12 you should pay the extra plus 18% . Your server is therefore complicit in defrauding the company by not charging you the extra.

Stating that you do not reach the 15 drink daily limit is pure obfuscation. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I may be in the minority here, but I always tip the server a little extra.  It pays off in spades.  Soon the servers recognize me, I'm getting a better grade of Scotch, better pours, and in other venues such as listening to strings or a guitarist my drinks seem to magically appear at my elbow.  

It's not a life changing amount of money to me and it may make a difference in that person's life - especially just recognizing them for their service.

Do you have any hard evidence that this is true.  You could check by doing one cruise where you tip and another cruise where you do not and keeping track of your pours and delivery times.  Perhaps you are deluding yourself.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Do you have any hard evidence that this is true.  You could check by doing one cruise where you tip and another cruise where you do not and keeping track of your pours and delivery times.  Perhaps you are deluding yourself.

DON

Maybe so, Don.  But I'm a happy cruiser and it works for me.  

I don't see it as stealing and I don't ask the server and bartender to do anything extra - it's their choice.  A ready smile and a bit if chit chat helps - especially with some of the rude to and/or entitled people they have to deal witb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Thrak said he had conducted such an experiment and it had had no effect.

37 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Maybe so, Don.  But I'm a happy cruiser and it works for me.  

I don't see it as stealing and I don't ask the server and bartender to do anything extra - it's their choice.  A ready smile and a bit if chit chat helps - especially with some of the rude to and/or entitled people they have to deal witb.

Bars keep track of the amount of alcohol in bottles just as seriously as retail operations keep track of cash in the register drawer. Everything is rung in. And inventories are taken on a regular basis. I’ve watched managers using a dipstick type device to measure the millilitres of liquid in the alcohol bottles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Thrak said he had conducted such an experiment and it had had no effect.

Sample size of one isn't a valid scientific study.  I don't want to argue with Thrak or Pirate, but I am willing to agree with both of them that what they experienced was true for each of them.  This thread started out as a question about tipping (always dangerous!) and I have seen a few answers why it might be a good thing, or not, that have nothing to do with the size of the pour.  (Poor wowzz could throw his back out lugging around all those heavy Euros!  A hard-working waiter might be able to send an extra couple of dollars home to his family.)

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

I would bet that thieves would say the same thing. 🙄

Why don't you explain why you think it's stealing if, as I stated, I don't ask the server and bartender to do anything extra?  If I tip a little extra and receive what I perceive is a better pour and a better Scotch should I jump up and dial 911 on the house phone and report a crime in progress? 

Better yet, what would you do if you receive a little something extra that you didn't ask for?

If I am sitting by the pool and order a drink, and the next time through the server stops and asks me if I would like another then that in my mind is good service and they will get a tip.  If the next day I sit down and the same server stops the next day and says.. “Coors Light Miss Liz?” then yes they are again getting a tip, for being on the ball, responsive and alert.

• Like 5

I used to bar-tend. I'll guarantee those extra strong drinks have a bit of a float added to the straw.  You know, hold back a couple of drops from the jigger when mixing, then it's poured into the straw. Or if there's no straw, same thing, but mix it with half the jigger and pour the rest on top.  First drink is going to taste very strong!

Anyhow, I'm also someone who brings a pile of $1's.  If I get faster service so be it and if I don't, $100 extra per cruise isn't going to break me. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Sample size of one isn't a valid scientific study.  I don't want to argue with Thrak or Pirate, but I am willing to agree with both of them that what they experienced was true for each of them.  This thread started out as a question about tipping (always dangerous!) and I have seen a few answers why it might be a good thing, or not, that have nothing to do with the size of the pour.  (Poor wowzz could throw his back out lugging around all those heavy Euros!  A hard-working waiter might be able to send an extra couple of dollars home to his family.)

I don't tip people doing what they are paid to do on a daily basis. Why should I ? Throwing dollar notes about is just crass.

But, at the end of the cruise, we give certain individuals a "something" if we think that they have gone over and beyond their job description. The bar staff in Vines who know our favorite wine,  the waiter who brings my drink without being asked, etc. But, most importantly, we make sure to mention those individuals on the post cruise questionnaire,  as that is far more important than a few dollars. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't tip people doing what they are paid to do on a daily basis. Why should I ? Throwing dollar notes about is just crass.

I know you don't tip.  You follow the customs of your country.  Nothing wrong with that.  You do you.  I'm curious, though, about "throwing dollars notes about" being "crass."  Do these people toss the money at the waiter?  Do they stand up and announce "I'm tipping extra"?  How do you know who is tipping and who isn't?  If the customer hands the server a dollar bill quietly, who would know other than the customer and the server?  I would agree that making a scene about one's largesse might be tacky, but is that what's happening?

In the old days of cruise cards, it was necessary to sign for each drink.  There was a spot on the receipt where one could add a tip (or not).  DH always added a tip.  He certainly didn't stand up and announce it, but he was always happy to do it.  He's a generous person.  He's also an American.  He does him.  Now he slips the waiter a bill, and he does it quietly because he is afraid of the harsh judgement of people like you.  I think he's wonderful and I think the world needs more kind people just like him.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I know you don't tip.  You follow the customs of your country.  Nothing wrong with that.  You do you.  I'm curious, though, about "throwing dollars notes about" being "crass."  Do these people toss the money at the waiter?  Do they stand up and announce "I'm tipping extra"?  How do you know who is tipping and who isn't?  If the customer hands the server a dollar bill quietly, who would know other than the customer and the server?  I would agree that making a scene about one's largesse might be tacky, but is that what's happening?

In the old days of cruise cards, it was necessary to sign for each drink.  There was a spot on the receipt where one could add a tip (or not).  DH always added a tip.  He certainly didn't stand up and announce it, but he was always happy to do it.  He's a generous person.  He's also an American.  He does him.  Now he slips the waiter a bill, and he does it quietly because he is afraid of the harsh judgement of people like you.  I think he's wonderful and I think the world needs more kind people just like him.

Actually,  I do tip, but only if the service requires it. 

Just a different culture. 

I go to a pub, go to the bar, order a beer, it is poured and handed to me.  Why should I tip ?

No different on a cruise ship, especially as I have paid 18% service charge.  

Edited by wowzz

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Against my better judgement,  I tip in the US. However,  I tip a fixed amount, not a percentage.  

But, it is customary in the US. Servers make nothing, and depend on the tips. They are taxed on a certain amount of tips, whether they receive them or not.  Minimum of 15% is what you should tip, up to 20% if your server went 'above and beyond'.  Just making sure you know our tipping practices. When in Rome...

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

But, it is customary in the US. Servers make nothing, and depend on the tips. They are taxed on a certain amount of tips, whether they receive them or not.  Minimum of 15% is what you should tip, up to 20% if your server went 'above and beyond'.  Just making sure you know our tipping practices. When in Rome...

Thankyou for the lesson. I've travelling to the US regularly since 1990, so do have some experience! 

I tip around $10 to $15 for every meal under $50. I just can't be bothered to work out all the percentages.  And, in all honesty, even on more expensive meals,  I dont tip much more, as the work involved is the same. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Yep, when in Rome indeed. A policy certain foreigners ignore. For their own benefit, obviously. 

When I travel in foreign countries, I don't force my American cultural ways on the locals. I do my best to be a respectful guest in their country and follow their cultural norms. I am disappointed how many of those people don't reciprocate when they visit the US or cruise on a US owned ship. 

• Like 1