Chef's Table on the Crown advice

shiner6

I am looking for information on how to book the Chef's table on my Crown cruise in January.  Any advice from those who have partaken of this experience on the Crown would be helpful. This cruise will have quite a few sea days, so I am hoping to attend this on one of those days.  Thank you in advance. 

10 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

I am looking for information on how to book the Chef's table on my Crown cruise in January.  Any advice from those who have partaken of this experience on the Crown would be helpful. This cruise will have quite a few sea days, so I am hoping to attend this on one of those days.  Thank you in advance. 

Call the DINE line after boarding and request to be added to the list for an invite.  Mention it to your head waiter or restaurant manager that you are interested in participating.

• Like 1

We were on the Crown in May and inquired about the Chef's Table as soon as we got on board, we were advised by the dining staff that there would not be one.  Reading reviews and talking to passengers on board it sounds like it is not always offered on every ship or sailing.  But from what I gather you call the dine line and express your interest and they'll advise from there.  My understanding is there is no way to reserve pre-cruise.  Perhaps full suite guests and Elites get preference?  Not sure if that helps, I'm just speculating.

We just returned from the Discovery and were one of the first to board, we immediately called the dine line and they stated again no guarantees of a Chef's Table, asked us some food allergy questions and advised us of the cost and put us on a list.  We never received an invite and we know they had at least 2 nights that had the Chef's Table.  Maybe someone who's had personal experience with the Chef's Table can advise.  I'd love to try it on a future cruise, especially a Lumiere experience.

• Like 1

The Dine line opens at noon. So when we have done it in the past, we stand by a house phone and call right at noon.  They are more likely to choose you if you have no dietary restrictions.  We also tell them we will eat whatever the chef prepares.  Also, the Maitre’ D used to take requests in the dining room the afternoon on embarkation days, but that seems to have gone away.  

Keep in mind, since COVID, they no longer do appetizers in the galley, which was my favorite part. 

2 minutes ago, pppatpc2 said:

The Dine line opens at noon. So when we have done it in the past, we stand by a house phone and call right at noon

We actually were able to get to our stateroom on the Discovery at about 11:45 and called the Dine line right away and they answered. We said that we had no dietary restrictions. I just wonder how the selection process works, I feel like we were one of the first to be put on the list.  That’s why I speculated loyalty and suite guests have priority, but I have no idea.  We also inquired with our dining staff the first night, and with guest relations the next day, they both just advised to call the dine line. 

• Like 1

It also helps to be a b2b passenger, you can put your request in on the first leg, and if you get in fine but if not then chat up the DRO (Maître d') about leg 2.   Often if there is enough interest, they will also schedule an additional Chef's Table.

Once, when meeting in Vines the group included 6 very inebriated, loud, obnoxious people and we were delayed 20 minutes waiting for 2 more drunk members of their party.  We asked M d' to count us out, and if possible schedule another, he did, we had a much more pleasant group.  We heard later the drunks were "friends" of someone at Princess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

We just returned from the Discovery and were one of the first to board, we immediately called the dine line and they stated again no guarantees of a Chef's Table, asked us some food allergy questions and advised us of the cost and put us on a list.  We never received an invite and we know they had at least 2 nights that had the Chef's Table.  Maybe someone who's had personal experience with the Chef's Table can advise.  I'd love to try it on a future cruise, especially a Lumiere experience.

We really enjoyed the Winemaker's Dinner on Royal when we didn't get invited to Chef's Table Lumiere.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Papa Yoda said:

We really enjoyed the Winemaker's Dinner on Royal when we didn't get invited to Chef's Table Lumiere.

We kind of forgot about the Winemaker's dinner until the last day, is this done by calling the Dine line and putting in a request as well?

N=1 here, but I have a serious allergy to crustaceans, some of the mainstays of Chef’s Table dining.  We’ve requested to join in three times (different ships, different executive chefs and maitres d’hotel) and been graciously received each time.  Based on what other people have posted from either the same or adjacent sailings, the only visible change it’s caused for other guests is that cross-contamination procedures are used and the crustaceans are served from separate platters.  They’ve very thoughtfully provided alternative hors d’œuvre  (halibut ceviche instead of king crab leg cocktail, for example) and it’s all been handled like it was No Big Deal.  Obviously, not all food allergies are created equal, but it’s definitely not a prima facie disqualifier for participation.  

As to the how, definitely make the request of the Dine Line promptly upon boarding, but also put the touch on the dining room managers and headwaiters those first nights - they know who will make good dinner companions and can definitely put in a good word on your behalf.   

I look forward to the (eventual) return of hors d’œuvre in the galley before we resume attending.  I am endlessly fascinated by how the whole operation works.  

• Like 2

We were able to experience our first Winemaker's Dinner on a transatlantic cruise.  We were not familiar with this but the organizer of our Roll Call just happened to be doing a B2B and the TA was to be their second half.  She "took names" via the roll call spreadsheet and turned in the entire list during that first leg.  As far as I know, everyone got in on that dinner!   They very well may have had more than one WD given it was a TA...but it sure was nice to have it pre-arranged by someone already on board.  Note: This was *after* the pandemic restart...

We were the first to board the ship on a cruise within the last 2 years. I went first thing to guest services and called to get on the list.  When I asked if since we were the first to board, we would definitely get in, they told me they were already full from passengers continuing on from the last cruise.  We did get to attend on a cruise this year as the ship was just coming out of dry dock so no one was already in line!!

5 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

We kind of forgot about the Winemaker's dinner until the last day, is this done by calling the Dine line and putting in a request as well?

Yes and it is not "by invitation only" more like first come.  There are 2 venues - one in each of the midship dining rooms labeled Wine Cellar on deck plans.  Likewise let your Head Waiter or the DRO know you want to do the WM dinner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

We were on the Crown in May and inquired about the Chef's Table as soon as we got on board, we were advised by the dining staff that there would not be one.  Reading reviews and talking to passengers on board it sounds like it is not always offered on every ship or sailing.  But from what I gather you call the dine line and express your interest and they'll advise from there.  My understanding is there is no way to reserve pre-cruise.  Perhaps full suite guests and Elites get preference?  Not sure if that helps, I'm just speculating.

FYI…I’ve done many of these & yes you can’t reserve pre-cruise & nobody has any preference.  I have submitted a list of people from CC & many times we have had a dinner just for us. If you do submit a list, remember it’s for 12 people,  have some extra names incase someone canceled. Make sure you have their stateroom number.

Tom😀

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

Anyone that has recently done the Chef’s Dinner what was the charge with wine?

Thanks!

Tom😀 

It's $95 on pre-Royal Class (ex. Island & Coral) and $115 on Royal Class and newer.

I think it has been $20 less ex wine.  

(Of course the WMD doesn't have a "no wine" option - $40).

45 minutes ago, jeno said:

Does the Island have a winemakers dinner? I was under the impression they don’t. 

No (and same for Coral).  My earlier post had "ex" which I had meant to mean "excluding" and not "example" and I probably didn't do it correctly). 

"Sometimes", Island has been known to host (for a price) a special dinner similar to a WMD by selling it in Sabatini's for an evening.  IDK if this will continue, but typically done one the really long voyages like around South America or a WC, etc.

I have done the chefs table twice....called the dine line once on board, and was contacted to confirm a couple of days later.. this was 11 years ago, so Im sure there have been changes, but I enjoyed it a lot. Both times the fee was $75.00 per person and included wine pairings for each course.  My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so Chef's Table was not for him, so I went ahead on my own. This was fine as our group of 12 included another solo  diner, and everyone was very nice.   Im glad I experienced it, but on more recent cruises, have gone to the Crown Grill and enjoyed that just as much. If you have an interest, I would go for it

image.thumb.jpeg.fa210180bbb59a28540828be840934a1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e2600e194426bf36138ff23de74f01e6.jpeg