Ventura Dry Dock Feb 2023

JG&Lcruisingnewbies

So husband and I have booked a 4 night Amsterdam cruise on the Ventura for April next year 😃 

we understand she’s in dry dock for 2 weeks next year, but will we know before the dry dock what they are planning to do?

I keep hearing how tired she’s looking but maybe they’ll do some refurbs like new carpets, while in dry dock, which will help 🤷‍♀️

I know we’ll enjoy ourselves regardless, & I know a lot of dry dock is just routine maintenance 

but I was curious to know if we’ll find out the plans for dry dock before she’s in it

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

P&O don't tend to give any info out before a refit and tell you precious little about what they have done afterwards. Maybe the occasional post on social media...

Ok thanks. I shouldn’t be surprised

Seeing as P&O don’t even tell you arrival & sail away times for any port, pre-cruise, either

information giving is not P&O strong point is it 😂 

Nor technology

I’ve only sailed once with P&O so far, but my word they are rubbish at it 🙄😂

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

P&O don't tend to give any info out before a refit and tell you precious little about what they have done afterwards. Maybe the occasional post on social media...

Probably because they have nothing to brag about

• Like 1

Been on a couple of cruises immediately after a refit, or immediately prior to one.

The only thing noticeable on the post refit cruises was that carpets had been replaced.

There will probably be some contractors on board on the pre and post refit cruises as well.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Been on a couple of cruises immediately after a refit, or immediately prior to one.

The only thing noticeable on the post refit cruises was that carpets had been replaced.

There will probably be some contractors on board on the pre and post refit cruises as well.

Thanks for the info

we were looking at booking the feb immediately pre refit cruise. Same itinerary. But changed it to after refit, April, just incase there were problems post or pre refit

good to get our suspicions confirmed. We’ll avoid in future too!

We are just back from the 1st cruise following the refit of Emerald Princess.  We were on this ship in July so can remember her well pre-refit.

We couldn't see any differences on the ship so I asked what had been done and was told that it was mainly a clean and touch up of the outside, removing barnacles etc off the hull, cleaning off rust, replacing marked and stained soft furnishings.

We had the same cabin on both cruises and I can say that the carpet in our cabin had been definitely been replaced because it was very worn by the clothes rail in July but it is clean and not worn now.

Just now, Josy1953 said:

We are just back from the 1st cruise following the refit of Emerald Princess.  We were on this ship in July so can remember her well pre-refit.

We couldn't see any differences on the ship so I asked what had been done and was told that it was mainly a clean and touch up of the outside, removing barnacles etc off the hull, cleaning off rust, replacing marked and stained soft furnishings.

We had the same cabin on both cruises and I can say that the carpet in our cabin had been definitely been replaced because it was very worn by the clothes rail in July but it is clean and not worn now.

I forgot to say that the refit over ran by 2 days so the cruise so missed out Cadiz and Lisbon.

11 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Be grateful for small mercies. Major "upgrades" on P&O ships tend to include the loss of public space in favour of additional revenue raising. So Ventura lost the large lounge area next to the Exchange to create additional cabins, and the front of the top deck area to create a Retreat. And Oriana lost the small Crystal Room (?) lounge, formerly the venue for classical music recitals (remember them?) to create a pay extra restaurant. Such is progress, P&O style.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Denarius said:

Be grateful for small mercies. Major "upgrades" on P&O ships tend to include the loss of public space in favour of additional revenue raising. So Ventura lost the large lounge area next to the Exchange to create additional cabins, and the front of the top deck area to create a Retreat. And Oriana lost the small Crystal Room (?) lounge, formerly the venue for classical music recitals (remember them?) to create a pay extra restaurant. Such is progress, P&O style.

Curzon Room became Garry Rhodes.   Both excellent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

And Arcadia gained additional cabins - firstly at the aft end and then forward behind the Crows Nest...

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Vendepac said:

For anyone interested. Ventura arrived in Hamburg last night for refit.

She's due to resume service with N305 late February.. Were on her for the next cruise N306 .

https://www.hamburg.de/livecam-michel/  Link is the webcam where she can be viewed 

Interesting. We are on her in the Autumn. Do you know what they are doing? Given the very short time window, other than any mechanical bits and bobs, I doubt it’s anything more than upgrading some soft furnishings (carpets etc).

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Its largely the MOT style jobs to meet the 5 year requirements.

Moley, are P&O ever going to.undertake a full refurbishment of their older ships. RCI and Celebrity seem to lead the way in this field, and even Princess have sharpened up some of their older ships, but I cannot remember any such work being done on a P&O ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Moley, are P&O ever going to.undertake a full refurbishment of their older ships. RCI and Celebrity seem to lead the way in this field, and even Princess have sharpened up some of their older ships, but I cannot remember any such work being done on a P&O ship.

I'm glad someone else was having similar thoughts to me. I was wondering if I was being unfair...

• 2 weeks later...

Ventura still occupying dry dock in Hamburg.  She wont be back in Southampton for tomorrows 3 day cruise, which I guess has been cancelled. Hopefully all will be well for our 2nd March 35 nighter to Bahamas, Miami etc.   Link to webcam attached

https://www.empire-riverside.de/en/around-the-hotel/#live-view-at-the-port-of-hamburg

2 hours ago, Vendepac said:

Ventura still occupying dry dock in Hamburg.  She wont be back in Southampton for tomorrows 3 day cruise, which I guess has been cancelled. Hopefully all will be well for our 2nd March 35 nighter to Bahamas, Miami etc.   Link to webcam attached

https://www.empire-riverside.de/en/around-the-hotel/#live-view-at-the-port-of-hamburg

According to Southampton VTS she's now expected at 1830 on 1st March.

• 4 weeks later...