Encore gangway collapse in Panama

shof515

37 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Look at the skin of an airplane the next time you board one.  It looks very thin but it's hardly 'garbage.'  I'm sure the authorities will consider other possibilities like if the gangway was set up properly, damaged in some way or overloaded.  Things are not always what they seem.

I know all about the skin of an airplane..it's the frame underneath that does the work.  Something was amiss here for sure...not sure what the point is arguing about what.  

4 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

deck six,

This is the part that I'm trying to figure out.  The "embarkation deck" (where the lifeboats are and where you board the ship at the beginning of the cruise) on the Bliss and Joy (nearly identical) is deck 7.  The gangway in ports without the gantry like in the embarkation ports is deck 4.

Look at a picture of the side of any of those ships - you won't see an opening at that level.  Deck 7 seems awfully high for them to be walking out, but that ramp looks really long for walking off at deck 4.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I wish they (whoever "they" are!?) would give an update about the injured.  It's going to come out anyway at some point...

Why? Morbid curiosity of someone else's suffering?

Our thoughts and prayers are for the injured and their families. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hallux said:

This is the part that I'm trying to figure out.  The "embarkation deck" (where the lifeboats are and where you board the ship at the beginning of the cruise) on the Bliss and Joy (nearly identical) is deck 7.  The gangway in ports without the gantry like in the embarkation ports is deck 4.

Look at a picture of the side of any of those ships - you won't see an opening at that level.  Deck 7 seems awfully high for them to be walking out, but that ramp looks really long for walking off at deck 4.

When I was on the Joy last month they was a few ports with the gangway on Deck 6. The door was next to Q steakhouse. Behind the crew only door is the outside door that looks like this

20221016_190109.jpg

18 minutes ago, shof515 said:

When I was on the Joy last month they was a few ports with the gangway on Deck 6. The door was next to Q steakhouse. Behind the crew only door is the outside door that looks like this

20221016_190109.jpg

Thanks, I guess I missed that.  When I was on the Joy in March we had to go up a deck on disembarkation when I met in Q for a post-cruise excursion.

45 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Our thoughts and prayers are for the injured and their families. 

Huh?

At least for us (and I assume for at least some others...), it would be very nice to learn that there were not any very serious injuries.

That's all.

Obviously, you feel differently,  That's fine, too.

GC

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I suppose that's one way to look at it.  I was hoping to learn the injuries were all minor and maybe even all were able to rejoin their cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Our friends are on board — sure @mianmikewill post at some point.  He and his wife boarded via that gangway about 30 minutes before it collapsed.  Details they relayed briefly to us are: the dock is new, and not completely finished.  Main gangway was not ready, so this one was used instead.  In the morning, they restricted it to two passengers at a time to get off the ship, and it took hours for people to get off for their excursions, and outings.  In the afternoon, for re-boarding the ship, they didn’t restrict the number of passengers on the gangway at the same time — and you see the result.  They were aware of/saw many ambulances taking passengers away, luggage being offloaded, etc.  

• Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

here is a picture of the gangway:
image.thumb.png.2dcf571a43510f6c1317a0bb4abe3565.png

i somewhat hate to say but it kind of looks like a fun slide to get off the ship. that could be a neat way to leave the ship

Wait - that isn't STAIRS???  That's a ramp?  

32 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Our friends are on board — sure @mianmikewill post at some point.  He and his wife boarded via that gangway about 30 minutes before it collapsed.  Details they relayed briefly to us are: the dock is new, and not completely finished.  Main gangway was not ready, so this one was used instead.  In the morning, they restricted it to two passengers at a time to get off the ship, and it took hours for people to get off for their excursions, and outings.  In the afternoon, for re-boarding the ship, they didn’t restrict the number of passengers on the gangway at the same time — and you see the result.  They were aware of/saw many ambulances taking passengers away, luggage being offloaded, etc.  

Whoa!

So they even recognized there was, or at the least might be, a hazard...!?

And then they ignored it?

What was wrong with the lower ramps, showing off to the side of the collapsed one?

We've used low ramps like that sometimes, especially returning to get back "on" the ship.

It is often labeled for "crew", but can be used by anyone who needs an easier entry, or for those with scooters/wheelchairs/etc.

Why didn't they use one of those!? 😠

GC

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:
17 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Whoa!

So they even recognized there was, or at the least might be, a hazard...!?

And then they ignored it?

What was wrong with the lower ramps, showing off to the side of the collapsed one?

We've used low ramps like that sometimes, especially returning to get back "on" the ship.

It is often labeled for "crew", but can be used by anyone who needs an easier entry, or for those with scooters/wheelchairs/etc.

Why didn't they use one of those!? 😠

GC

I guess if you want to know why this particular gangway was used vs any other options, you would need to direct that question to NCL. 

Edited by 3kidsncats

I am currently on the Encore.

The incident has not been formally announced to passengers here, and to my knowledge neither to the crew (at large).  Because of this, it is extremely difficult for anyone to gather factual  information unless you were an eyewitness or at least close to the source.

I will only say what I know to be fact and not speculation. I speak based on what I personally witnessed and the eyewitnesses I personally spoke to.

Of course the news agencies don’t have many details—m many passengers and crew members don’t even know that it HAPPENED. (But word is spreading.)

I did not get off the ship at this port. On the second day, while eating lunch, I heard an announcement over the speakers (Code Alpha) and asked my friend what in the world that meant because I hadn’t ever heard an announcement like it. 

The gangway was Panama’s (not NCLs).

It was off deck 6, by the Q, such like “shof515” described above.

At least initially, on the morning of the first port day, the NCL staff was concerned enough about the gangway that they were only letting a small number of people go down the gangway at a time. (There was an extremely long line to get off the ship because this was the only exit, and they were restricting the number of people who could be on it at once.)

I have spoken with many people who told me the same thing- which was when they first stepped out, they thought something to the effect of hoping it was safe and could hold them, seeming rickety, kind of nervous about it, etc.

When it first collapsed, early afternoon on the second day, at least some of the people were actually hanging off of it holding on for dear life, until they finally couldn’t hold on any longer and slipped off, crashing onto the pavement below. It sounded horrific, and at least one of the eyewitnesses was hysterical. Later, another eyewitness said that several people had apparent bad injuries but two “were unresponsive.”

I do not know if anyone died. I have not spoken to anyone who knows whether anyone died or not.

After the accident, victims were immediately taken to the onboard medical center and ambulances were brought. 

There were also members of the Panama military, Panama police, and officers from the ship.

I did not see nor hear of anyone with only minor injuries. To my knowledge all victims had serious injuries and were hospitalized in Panama. (Again, unknown if any died. The ships do all have morgues.)

As other passengers were returning to the ship from touring, and getting off the shuttle bus, they used NCL gangways to get back on. You can see them in the photo.

I do know of one crew member that stayed behind in Panama with the injured. 

I personally saw crew members put lots and lots and lots of luggage onto elevators (I saw two FULL elevators of luggage). About an hour after this, the ship left. This was on time.

There have been no announcements about this incident or anything related to it since it happened, nor changes to the itinerary.

May you all never have to experience a tragedy like this, travel or otherwise 🙏

9F14ADF0-F5DB-4D3C-A888-844EA6AF5A73.thumb.jpeg.86c4c1ebe222cb1d7bc4fdae7fa8869f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

My unprofessional view in this is there's 3 factors in play here.

The gangway appears to be close to 10m in length. That's a long span to be unsupported.

Which leads to the engineering and construction needs to be spot on

Which leads to the safe load weight needs to be known and properly supervised.

IMO the people that need to answer questions are whoever built the gangway and the people monitoring the number of passengers on it.

6 hours ago, grozzy1 said:

My unprofessional view in this is there's 3 factors in play here.

The gangway appears to be close to 10m in length. That's a long span to be unsupported.

Which leads to the engineering and construction needs to be spot on

Which leads to the safe load weight needs to be known and properly supervised.

IMO the people that need to answer questions are whoever built the gangway and the people monitoring the number of passengers on it.

These were my thoughts also. And certainly both Panama and NCL had failures here. 

When determining specific fault, and responsibility($$$), it takes time for a detailed investigation to be carried out..

15 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Looks like a free cruise or FCC for those involved.  NCL just can't catch a break.  If it is a sandbar, iceberg or mechanical failure.  Ship happens.

Can you please explain this comment?

At face value this comment lacks consideration, compassion, and even the slightest hint of intelligence.

I must be reading it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you please explain this comment?

At face value this comment lacks consideration, compassion, and even the slightest hint of intelligence.

I must be reading it wrong.

Yes, I will.  First, I hope no one was seriously injured.  Was I supposed to start my reply this way. Second, I hope all involved were able to continue on their cruise.  If someone wasn't able to continue, I know it will be extra burden on the family. Third, when ship happens someone is usually held accountable.   

Now I'm sorry at face value my reply didn't satisfy to you. But like all of us on CC we hope for best for all involved

12 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

That explains it....very poor job by everyone. IMHO.

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

I have always had an irrational fear of the gangways on ships. Apparently it's not so irrational.

Not irrational at all. I didn't know this, but there have been several people killed in gangway collapses.

15 people died when a gangway collapsed on the QE2 and another 

https://www.deseret.com/2003/11/16/19796038/13-killed-in-gangway-collapse-on-cruise-ship#:~:text=NAZAIRE%2C

This one just happened last month in Georgia

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-gangway-collapse-injures-17-people-6-sent-hospital

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

That explains it....very poor job by everyone. IMHO.

If what was reported is true, it's possible people complained about the long process of getting off the ship (by restricting it to just two people at a time), so the decision was made to allow many more people on the gangway at the same time. With this being the result. The cynic in me says the same people who might have said "this isn't fair, it's taking too long!" are now blaming NCL for the results of their own impatience.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

In the morning, they restricted it to two passengers at a time to get off the ship, and it took hours for people to get off for their excursions, and outings.

• Like 1