Jump to content

Encore gangway collapse in Panama


shof515
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

A few pictures posted on Twitter that the gangway on deck 6 collapse with a few people hurt :

 

 

OMG in the worst way!

 

I don't have a clue what that structure looked like when it was being used, before the collapse, but from what is visible, it looks mighty fragile.

 

Any news about the condition of the injured?
Is the ship still in Panama, or have you sailed on now?

 

I hope no one has any truly serious injuries!

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-news-today-november-9-2022-video/
 

How sad. I expect more details will emerge shortly.

 

This report:

 

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-ship-gangway-collapses-in-panama/87126

 

indicates the ship has left and is in transit through the Canal.

I wonder if they offloaded family members of the injured and put them up at hotels??

Or...?

 

I wish they (whoever "they" are!?) would give an update about the injured.  It's going to come out anyway at some point...

 

GC

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks- I just peeked at their roll call and nothing was posted. Hopefully no one actually needed to be removed and the ambulances were used in an abundance of caution.

 

Nothing on the Panama Port of Call sub-forum, either.

 

That collapsed gangway looks awfully fragile... no support underneath?  Or not enough even to show out from under the thin walkway?

Even the railings look fragile, for something that isn't starting almost at ground level.

 

I'm trying to think back on what the walkways looked like "in person" on previous cruises (various lines).  I don't remember much being that high.

However, when there is, and especially heading back, we'll take a lower ramp (often the crew ramp) so I can use the elevator and not have to walk up something relatively steep (broken foot that never healed right... and I just broke it again 2 months ago; at least it was the same foot, and I still have *one* good foot! 😉).

 

I'm not sure I would have wanted to set foot (both of 'em!) on that walkway if we were heading "out".  It just doesn't look very suitable.  But it's easy to second guess after the fact.  Still... it DOES look fragile.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Hard to believe this is the ships gangway. I believe its one supplied by the cruise pier?

based on the pictures it appears this is a port gangway. the ship gangway is always on the lower decks like 4 or 5

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twitter now has a few updates, and not good.

 

Something like 9 (elderly?) were taken to hospital.

I can't imagine all of them were "fit to continue" after a drop like that, unless they were ALL at the "shallow end".  And the way it buckled suggests (NON-expert here!) there was at least someone/something of weight at/near a high or medium point.  Hard to think there were not some significant broken bones (or worse).  GAAAK!

This is a time I would love to be very wrong!

 

Is it even possible there was no substructure to support it, especially at the higher points!??

 

GC

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the twitter feed that posted those photos:

"The 9 elderly passengers I saw taken to ambulances were in various states of pain and distress, in slings and/or bandaged up. One woman was in tears as she was stretchered into an ambulance while being comforted by a travelling(sic)  companion, who was also injured in a wheelchair."

Good god.  Why on earth would they hang a gangway 2 stories up?  I mean, the physics of it become obvious now unfortunately. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

From the twitter feed that posted those photos:

"The 9 elderly passengers I saw taken to ambulances were in various states of pain and distress, in slings and/or bandaged up. One woman was in tears as she was stretchered into an ambulance while being comforted by a travelling(sic)  companion, who was also injured in a wheelchair."

Good god.  Why on earth would they hang a gangway 2 stories up?  I mean, the physics of it become obvious now unfortunately. 

 

I'm wondering about that "2 stories up".

Look at that photo, where the sharpest angle of buckling is, next to the steepest portion of the gangway remaining.  See that man?  Look again at how high the gangway is likely to be attaching (it can't even be seen fully).  How many heights of that person would it take to get to the "door" there?

 

Who is responsible?  Does the Captain have the ultimate authority to approve anything that could affect safety of passengers (or crew, of course!)?  Assuming it's as fragile as it looks (and, uh, as it actually performed - or failed to!?), and especially if there was no substructural support, WHO gave the approval for this apparatus...???

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

I'm wondering about that "2 stories up".

Look at that photo, where the sharpest angle of buckling is, next to the steepest portion of the gangway remaining.  See that man?  Look again at how high the gangway is likely to be attaching (it can't even be seen fully).  How many heights of that person would it take to get to the "door" there?

 

Who is responsible?  Does the Captain have the ultimate authority to approve anything that could affect safety of passengers (or crew, of course!)?  Assuming it's as fragile as it looks (and, uh, as it actually performed - or failed to!?), and especially if there was no substructural support, WHO gave the approval for this apparatus...???

 

GC


Well it's reported to be coming from deck six, and going down to the pier two decks below.   It's not the height, or even the length of the gangway.  It's the garbage aluminum the thing is made from. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:


Well it's reported to be coming from deck six, and going down to the pier two decks below.   It's not the height, or even the length of the gangway.  It's the garbage aluminum the thing is made from. 

 

Could you tell us what alloy it is since you seem to know all about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

 

Could you tell us what alloy it is since you seem to know all about it?

I'm not a metallurgist, but I see failure for sure.  

 

I'll say one thing, I will be taking a harder look at gangways and how far off the ground they are now.  I'd much rather see the ships much shorter gangway for sure.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CruiseHive website now includes a statement from NCL:

 

“On Nov. 8, 2022, during Norwegian Encore’s call to Panama City, Panama, a guest gangway collapsed. Several guests sustained injuries and were immediately sent for treatment at a nearby medical facility. We have dispatched our CARE Team to Panama City to offer additional support to these guests. This is all of the information we have to share at this time.”

 

This doesn't add much.  And doesn't suggest how serious some of the injuries might have been.  (We don't know that for sure, either, but from the photos/height and the description.... 😞 )

 

GC

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

 

Yes, but can you tell that it was because of 'garbage aluminum' like the post I quoted was asserting?

It appeared to be garbage of some sort for sure. 
 

I hope all those folks are ok..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

It appeared to be garbage of some sort for sure. 
 

I hope all those folks are ok..

 

Look at the skin of an airplane the next time you board one.  It looks very thin but it's hardly 'garbage.'  I'm sure the authorities will consider other possibilities like if the gangway was set up properly, damaged in some way or overloaded.  Things are not always what they seem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...