Last minute cancellation

Long story short, my wife was admitted to the hospital tonight (nothing super serious) and our cruise is tomorrow.

We have already cancelled flights and are definitely not making the ship.

We did not get travel protection because this is our 26th Royal cruise and have never needed it. Obviously, that won't happen again.

Is there any way to get a future credit? Are there magic words I need to speak to the agent to get any recourse?

Or am I just getting back taxes, port fees, dining, wifi and excursions?

Taking all suggestions.

2 hours ago, Blackthorne said:

Long story short, my wife was admitted to the hospital tonight (nothing super serious) and our cruise is tomorrow.

We have already cancelled flights and are definitely not making the ship.

We did not get travel protection because this is our 26th Royal cruise and have never needed it. Obviously, that won't happen again.

Is there any way to get a future credit? Are there magic words I need to speak to the agent to get any recourse?

Or am I just getting back taxes, port fees, dining, wifi and excursions?

Taking all suggestions.

I'm guessing what you have saved in 26 cruises of NOT paying insurance would cover the cost of this cruise fare.  Call Royal to officially cancel so you receive the refund of taxes, port fees, dining, wifi and excursions, then consider the loss of this actual cruise fare what you paid to be self-insured for all your previous cruises.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Not to sound harsh,  consider to go without her if she is not in a serious condition or will need your help around the house for a couple days.

Just a thought.

That sounds extremely harsh and I couldn't imagine leaving my spouse regardless if it was serious or not.

As for the original poster, I would give a call and see what happens. With 26 cruises under you belt I would hope that Royal would work with you on some sort of resolution. Good luck. 

58 minutes ago, MichiganFisherman said:

Why would the cruise lines and travel insurance companies sell insurance if they were just going to give you a refund in any form as a reward for not purchasing it like everyone else who did?

Exceptions are made all the time...lighten up

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Not to sound harsh,  consider to go without her if she is not in a serious condition or will need your help around the house for a couple days.

Just a thought.

You are not married, are you?  In many households, saying "bye, money and a vacation is way more important than you" to your hospitalized spouse would be grounds for divorce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were due to fly to Italy on October 26 for the 6 night Italy/Croatia cruise, and staying onboard for the 15 night TA,  One week prior, I suffered a very significant stroke and was hospitalized for almost a week.    It was completely out of the blue as I'm fairly young (67) with no health issues.  Of course we had to cancel.  We do have travel insurance, so we are awaiting a refund for that.  United Airlines gave us a credit, and Royal refunded our port taxes.  I am slowly recovering, but no where near ready to cruise yet.  We've been on over 40 cruises, and we never go without travel insurance.  When our kids were little, I worried that something unforeseen could happen to them, necessitating our canceling.  As they become less of a worry, we had aging parents to consider.  This was a rather pricey trip, so I am so grateful we have travel insurance.  I will feel even better when I receive the reimbursement check!  Good luck and I hope your wife gets well soon.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, cured said:

You are not married, are you?  In many households, saying "bye, money and a vacation is way more important than you" to your hospitalized spouse would be grounds for divorce.

And if things are not serious, in many households the spouse would say, "Go, have a good time, I will be fine.  No reason for both of us to miss the cruise and lose the money."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1