The Garden Cafe — The Best of It

New2cruise2022

I know this isn’t as sexy a topic as Specialty Dining, but are there items that stand out on the buffet that you seek out? Any hacks for stopping in at the buffet? What action stations are favorite? 

(If this is a long or often discussed post, please direct me to the right thread. Thanks for your opinions!)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Carver's Station: Whatever the special of the day is

Indian: Papadums with mango chutney 

Breakfast: British Breakfast (British bacon, bangers, beans, grilled tomatoes)

Hack: At breakfast, there are multiple omelet stations,,,, the one by the main entrance = long line; stations further back = no line

Hack: Sit near the bar for frequent refills. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For seating, we always go as far to the back as we can - it gives me a chance to check out one side all the way, but also gets me a better shot at a less crowded spot.  Plus, the view is great!!  

Eating at nonstandard times helps avoid the traffic, too - the most peaceful meal we ever had was on a port day at 2 pm. 

As for food...they had a cream of cauliflower soup I have remembered and sought out since 2014.  I'm praying they make a gluten free version.  Muesli in the buffet is my first-morning meal, even if I end up in the MDR later.  And strangest of all, the best prime rib I ever had came off a buffet on the Getaway.  I like a sit down meal, but for breakfast and lunch, I'm a buffet girl.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Prime rib. I’m not even that picky about prime rib. How often can you typically find it in the buffet?

I can't remember.  It used to be that they'd do prime rib in O'Sheehans, too, but it has been a while since I have cruised - a more recent traveler will know better.  

On the Getaway recently I enjoyed the rotating lunch selection of noodle soups.  There were pre-portioned bowls of rice noodles and usually some veggie like thin cabbage or mushrooms which they would dunk briefly in boiling water to reheat and then add broth (chicken, beef, spicy Thai depending on the day) plus meat and garnishes based on your preference.  

• Like 2

Tip…get your coffee or juice then head to the back for a table by the windows.  The two-tops turn over pretty quickly.  Once you are seated…get the attention of the bus staff and let them know not to clear your table as you’re going for food.  I also sometimes tell the people sitting next to me. I’ve found they are usually most helpful in making sure no one clears/takes your table.  Of course, know what you want and don’t dilly dally around the buffet.

We also get a second plate and use it as a cover to help our food stay warm and not exposed to the crowd.

Even though we wash our hands upon entry, we also use a wipe or sanitizer before eating as you have just touched a lot of serving utensils (personal preference).

enjoy😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you don’t see cookies out at night, just ask at the dessert station.  They keep the cookies hidden!

For breakfast, I toast my own English muffin then top it with a freshly scrambled egg from the omelette station and a fresh tomato slice from the Nordic station then drizzle some hollandaise sauce on top . So much better than the eggs Benedict that have been sitting out.  Plus I don’t get undercooked poached eggs (I can’t stand runny egg yolk.)

The Indian food station on all NCL ships is my go-to for lunch.  Yum.  I have been known to prepare a plate for myself then take it up to the  Haven restaurant since the Haven does not have a good vegetarian selection at lunch (or dinner in my opinion.) Make sure you take some raita to cool down the spice.

Every ship on NCL on which I’ve sailed has had a crepe station.  Sometimes it’s every night and sometimes it’s a few nights only.  I like blueberry filling, whipped cream on the side then some butterscotch sauce from the ice cream station on top.

The Bliss has homemade doughnuts at the late night buffet!  Not every night, so you may need to ask.  I also like nachos from the Garden Cafe for a late night snack.

NCL does theme nights for the Garden Cafe.  It will be listed in the Freestyle Daily in the part where the restaurant hours are printed.  Themes include American night, Italian, Mexican, Asian, seafood extravaganza, BBQ and sometimes regional such as a Greek night when in Greece or a Hawaiian night when cruising the Hawaiian islands.

If you like veggie burgers, NCL has delicious ones.  Just ask at the grill station and they’ll make you one.

For people who love the cauliflower soup, it is now an appetizer selection on the rotating dinner menu in the main dining rooms.  You can ask which night it will be served and it will also be served in the buffet on that night.  Same goes for all soups.

On ships with an Observation lounge (there is an Observation Lounge on the Bliss) there will be a delicious selection of food available throughout the day.  The quiche is amazing!  They will heat it up if you ask. They also often have red velvet cake and these yummy guava pastries.  This is the place to get potato chips if you want a salty snack.

My advice for staying healthy and avoiding germs is to carry a mini bottle of hand sanitizer in my cruise purse.  I use it before eating since there is so much touching of shared serving tools.  NCL swaps out their serving utensils in the buffet every 15 minutes now but I still use my sanitizer.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

At breakfast, on the Encore, I found bagels, bread, a toaster, cream cheese and smoked salmon toward the very front of the buffet on the starboard side.  There was much less jostling and crowding for coffee at this area, too. It was a nice way to start the day off simply and easy.  Also, attendants came around with sweet muffins several mornings and we didn't even have to leave our table! (Except to get another bloody mary now and then. 😃 )