Royal testing cutting dinner menu and charge extra for second Lobster.

Jim_Iain

37 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Is it too petty to complain that the butter is often frozen and is not spreadable on bread?

You should know by now that no topic is too petty for CC...😂🤣😂

(Disclaimer: the above is a joke folks...)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of frozen butter...I don't like my bread looking like a pair of fashion jeans...

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I am told all the best lobsters come from Atlantic provinces in Canada which are called the Maritimes 😁

Was recently on a New England and Quebec cruise.   I sat next to the Food and Beverage Director at a Zenith Lunch.   He said he sourced the Lobster with Canadian Lobster for Lobster Night for all venues.   He said tried to get NE but due to the quantity he needed and was out of season for NE had to settle on Canadian.  He said NE were tastier and larger but the Canadian ones were the preference by price.

I had both Canadian and New England Cruise.  All were whole lobsters and I would say that I found New England sweeter and more tender.  

I'm not an expert but when in University I spent a summer working at a Lobster Restaurant in New England and would prep upwards of 1,000 a day.   Definitely had a lot of lobster sandwiches that summer. Maybe I'm partial to New England. 

• Like 2

Just a comment about the "good ole days" of cruising with RCCL (now called RCI).  A long time ago it was our cruise line of choice (we have no interest in the current product) and I still recall being on the old Sun Viking when we had a terrific waiter (from England) named Gary Branch.  On lobster night, Gary would bring lobsters for everyone and than bring a platter (with at least 10 more tails) which he put down on the center of the table!  Gary eventually became a Dining Room Manager and later opened a training program in England for some RCCL dining staff.  I should add that in those days the lobster tails were cold water tails and large (at least 6 ounces).  How times change.

Hank

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dlh015 said:

You should know by now that no topic is too petty for CC...😂🤣😂

(Disclaimer: the above is a joke folks...)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of frozen butter...I don't like my bread looking like a pair of fashion jeans...

No worries. You won't get frozen butter on Celebrity in the MDR in the evening. 

Edited by davekathy

18 hours ago, OysterD said:

Yes, every single time. 

Although, just as taste is subjective, so is the ideal temperature of food. 

I know a couple of people who prefer food to be served on the plate at a temperature which to the majority of people would be far too hot to even contemplate trying for several mins. They also seem to be able to drink freshly boiled tea or coffee almost immediately, whereas I have to wait a good 5 mins or so!

Me too. In fact, we love the potatoes on the ship! Our food is also always hot. We usually eat in Blu or Luminae these days but dined many times in the MDR and rarely had issues 

On 11/15/2022 at 10:18 PM, prmssk said:

We will be on the Prima in about 25 days.  It's a short cruise so I'm sure we will survive but I'm not excited about the fixed MDR menu that never changes.  And reports are that they thought everyone would go to the Indulge Food Hall (food stall/truck style) that they may have mad the buffet too small.  NCL plans to extend this fixed MDR menu to all ships, after trying it out on the Prima.  I'm sure it is another cost saving measure for them and a way to get people to pay for specialty dining.   

Interesting. I’ll have to check out their forum to see the reactions to the new concepts 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:35 PM, Mike45LC said:

Is it too petty to complain that the butter is often frozen and is not spreadable on bread?

Iain often asks for a cup of hot water and just either drops in the water or under and thaws out quickly.

In Luminae they have it molded and if hard impossible to spread.

• Like 2

We unfortunately, we did a 14-night HAL Oosterdam cruise last August of Greece.  This cruise followed a fantastic cruise from Rome on the Reflection. There were no free lobster nights on the Oosterdam cruise, but for $30 extra, one of the Dressy nights you could get a 3oz frozen lobster tail and 5oz beef fillet. On other nights you could get a shrimp cocktail for $8.50 extra and a lobster tail for $15 extra, we were shocked at all the addons that use to be included on HAL cruises. On one of the dressy nights HAL's surf and turf offering was grilled shrimp and sirloin steak. We have never been impressed with the quality of lobsters offered on any cruise line, including Celebrity, so having to pay extra for lobster on the Oosterdam was not a problem or even an option for us. This was our last HAL cruise for many reasons other than the food.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

I have to say the lobster I've had on X are really not that good at all.  It does make since that with the quantity they need there is no way they can buy good, large, lobster to serve.   The last time I had them on X  they were so small that it was like, three bites worth.  Anyway, every time the lobster topic thing comes up on here you hear the same thing.    

I do not like lobster, so am waiting for the no-cruise cruise where dinner is limited, but includes paying more for quicker service, along with addition choice entrees!😬  Desserts would also be an add-on!  Paying more for less seems to be the new wave of the future...but you only live once.

Edited by Lastdance

Someone please let me know when Celebrity makes any changes.  If I want to read about changes on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, HAL, NCL, etc.. I'll go to those boards.   Until Celebrity changes I could care less what everyone else is doing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1