Looking for recent experiece with Princess insurance

PaperSniper4

On 11/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks. That's my understanding also. My TA is usually very knowledgeable about such things, which is the only reason I am pursuing this. I'd hoped that maybe my TA had some "special knowledge" or offer from Princess to offer that reduced $69 cost. I'm temping to have him quote in writing that cost includes CFAR as outlined at Princess Vacation Protection at Princess.com. If so, that CFAR IMO would be a real bargain. I already have excellent insurance for our trip, but there is no CFAR clause like the PVP has. At my age CFAR becomes more important every year. Alternately I could get the PVP insurance at 8% of the cruise's cost JUST to get the CFAR coverage. However, that would add about $280 to my insurance for this trip.....is that worth it just to get the added CFAR protection? I'll have to think on that one.....🤔

Doug

I think it is worth it.

47 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We had an odd situation. I canceled our Feb 2022 Princess cruise which gave me a FCC good until December 2022. I figured I could not use it based on our existing schedule. Then September 2022 we got an email extending that FCC until the end of September 2023. That added 9 months allowed us to schedule a Princess cruise next March.

Doug

And another "odd" situation....I paid for my cruise mostly with FCCs which have/had expiration dates but were not expired yet.  So I am CFAR and expect to get the FCCs back so I am wondering if they existing expiration dates apply or the "one year" that everyone is referring to will be the expiration date.  Time will tell.

Edited by suzyed

On 11/20/2022 at 2:02 PM, cemolly said:

I can share my personal experience from earlier this year, although I'm not sure how typical it is. I canceled my cruise on March 24 and submitted a claim to the insurance on March 25, under the CFAR clause from the Platinum level vacation protection. My FCC was issued on April 11 and it states I must sail by end of 2023. 

image.thumb.png.bd1ac17ebc703b13a91288919bbbf1f0.png

That would be fine with us!  Just not sure if the FCCs would go back to the dates they had when submitted or a "new" length of time.

IMO the flexibility and CFAR clause makes Princess Protection worth purchasing for any cruise. This has become even more so since covid became such a problem when the odds of a trip being cancelled or postponed has increased significantly.Yes the medical and evacuation limits could be more but having the airfare be included under the coverage can be significant. The ‘no questions asked’ aspect of cancel for any reason ensures peace of mind to us when booking a cruise. 

Many don’t know airfare is covered even when flying long before or after a voyage as long as one uses easy air to purchase flights. I believe the limit is 30 days before and after the voyage. Try buying a trip insurance plan that covers a 70-80 day vacation and for the price of the PP insurance!

If someone knows of comparable coverage for the same or less cost I’d like to know about it. We’ve looked at many insurance plans and have never found one that wasn’t much more expensive.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gottagocit said:

IMO the flexibility and CFAR clause makes Princess Protection worth purchasing for any cruise. This has become even more so since covid became such a problem when the odds of a trip being cancelled or postponed has increased significantly.Yes the medical and evacuation limits could be more but having the airfare be included under the coverage can be significant. The ‘no questions asked’ aspect of cancel for any reason ensures peace of mind to us when booking a cruise. 

Many don’t know airfare is covered even when flying long before or after a voyage as long as one uses easy air to purchase flights. I believe the limit is 30 days before and after the voyage. Try buying a trip insurance plan that covers a 70-80 day vacation and for the price of the PP insurance!

If someone knows of comparable coverage for the same or less cost I’d like to know about it. We’ve looked at many insurance plans and have never found one that wasn’t much more expensive.   

I believe it's 45 days.

Doug

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:31 PM, Babr said:

There is no basis for that advice.

Incorrect statement and this thread has some "not good" advice..  Would I have used the term "never buy from.." that Bigeagle12 used?  ? No as I think the Platinum from Princess is decent - especially if you are a Platinum / Elite cruiser and get it for the regular rate. 

Like Bigeagle12, I've been in the insurance industry forever (30+) - not on the agency side but with carriers. Currently I am a C Suite Exec for a group of carriers. So I pretty much know this stuff.  

The cruise lines just take something that a carrier has and slaps their name on it. Just like any affinity insurance program in any industry. The cruise line has little say in it and wants it to be zero touch. It's free money for the cruise line and the true insurance carrier has "free marketing" although they pay a ton of commission for it... 

Does that concept sound familiar?  Kind of like shore excursions... For those who can think past the "I may miss the ship if I take an independent excursion," you know you usually (much more often than not) get a better excursion for less money with the independents. Why would you think the insurance is any different?  If anything, the cruise lines have more input with the excursions than the travel insurance.

The site that Bigeagle12 recommended is a good one and I can almost guarantee your independent TA uses it.   But then again, what do I know. 

Edited by Griff4AU
edited to make it more PG
  • Like 1

We are both on medicare and a supplement.  I get the princess vacation protection for the "injury" or "sick" and evacuation only.  I could care less about my luggage.

Most of our trips are out of LA going up the coast to San Francisco, or to Mexico.  Getting back to LA and being treated for an emergency is what I am concerned about.

We buy insurance and pay dearly every year for home insurance (have filed one claim in 40 years), car insurance (no claims), earthquake insurance (no claims) and umbrella policy to cover for the max amount.  

Insurance is something you need, but hopefully will never need to make a claim.  Cost of living and traveling.

1 hour ago, Griff4AU said:

Incorrect statement and this thread has some "not good" advice..  Would I have used the term "never buy from.." that Bigeagle12 used?  ? No as I think the Platinum from Princess is decent - especially if you are a Platinum / Elite cruiser and get it for the regular rate. 

Like Bigeagle12, I've been in the insurance industry forever (30+) - not on the agency side but with carriers. Currently I am a C Suite Exec for a group of carriers. So I pretty much know this stuff.  

The cruise lines just take something that a carrier has and slaps their name on it. Just like any affinity insurance program in any industry. The cruise line has little say in it and wants it to be zero touch. It's free money for the cruise line and the true insurance carrier has "free marketing" although they pay a ton of commission for it... 

Does that concept sound familiar?  Kind of like shore excursions... For those who can think past the "I may miss the ship if I take an independent excursion," you know you usually (much more often than not) get a better excursion for less money with the independents. Why would you think the insurance is any different?  If anything, the cruise lines have more input with the excursions than the travel insurance.

The site that Bigeagle12 recommended is a good one and I can almost guarantee your independent TA uses it.   But then again, what do I know. 

So what is incorrect about my statement? You said basically the same thing I did. 

Princess Vacation Protection is a cruise-line branded product underwritten by Nationwide and administered by AON. Princess sells it as another source of revenue with little effort or expense on their behalf.

Nevertheless, it is a legitimate product with appeal to some segments who find it appropriate for their needs. Even you said you would not advise against buying it.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:31 PM, Babr said:

There is no basis for that advice

This was your incorrect statement. And I had edited my post it to make it sound softer.

There was lots of basis behind Bigeagle12's statement. He's worked in the industry. I work in the industry. Even if I did not fully agree with his statement (which I did not), his advice was very good advice and he recommended a site that nearly every independent TA uses and those of us who work in the industry use. 

You wanted to show his advice was not solid. It actually was extremely solid.

Edited by Griff4AU

1 minute ago, Griff4AU said:

This was your incorrect statement. And I had edited my post it to make it sound softer.

There was lots of basis behind Bigeagle12's statement. He's worked in the industry. I work in the industry. Even if I did not fully agree with his statement (which I did not), his advice was very good advice and he recommended a site that nearly every independent TA uses and those of us who work in the industry use. 

You wanted to show his advice was not solid. It actually was extremely solid.

I contend that there is no basis for the advice never to buy cruise line insurance. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. It provides basic coverage from a nationally-known insurer at a reasonable cost.

The percentage-of-fare pricing favors older cruisers because age does not impact the premium. The CFAR provision provides fail-safe protection at no additional cost. Plenty of people are happy to accept FCC because they sail often enough to use it before it expires. Now there are third-party policies that recognize FCC as a form of payment so the subsequent cruise can be protected against cancellation as part of a comprehensive policy.

Those who express distaste for cruise line insurance probably do so because it does not meet their needs. They have plenty of options. And, yes, insuremytrip or squaremouth are valuable resources for researching and comparing policies. For those who still have questions or need more guidance, the Trip Insurance Store provides personal advice and assistance. It does not cost any more because insurance is regulated.

However, those who can be well-served by cruise-line insurance should not be dissuaded from considering or buying it - - - unless you insurance experts can explain the”lots behind” your advice and why mine is not “solid.”

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

ive read thru this thread with hopes of finding how long FCC lasts for a cancelation with the platinum plan. however this begs a new question

i have 700 FCC to book by april 1 and use by next april . 

i booked a cruise for this sept and the deposit took 100 out of that. the rest will be used at final payment in june

but if i want any type of insurance what is my true amount i paid and need to insure. does the FCC negate any insurable amount since it's techincally 'free money' . i wouldnt wanna waste money paying for insurance for an amount that isnt insurable.  is the amount perhaps the cruise fare minus 700?

for the record princess on their website (also my TA confirmed). is charging me the 8% of my full cruise fare. not 8% of the fare minus FCC. this is before final payment. if fcc cant be insured then would i get a refund later when the FCC is applied

Not all policies cover FCC as a form of payment because it has no cash value; however, there are some that will allow you to insure the value of those that result from a cancelled cruise but not those that were granted as goodwill or bonus.

It is a complex issue. To be sure you are getting what you need, call the professionals at Trip Insurance Store to discuss your options.

i wonder if princess will speak to me about insurance since i have a TA? id love to know if i can get the cheaper insurance through them if i dont have to insure FCC. 

so does anyone know if you get back your FCC if you cancel a cruise booked with that FCC. 

10 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i wonder if princess will speak to me about insurance since i have a TA? id love to know if i can get the cheaper insurance through them if i dont have to insure FCC. 

so does anyone know if you get back your FCC if you cancel a cruise booked with that FCC. 

With Princess insurance you have to insure the FCC. This was a change that they made when FCC's came out.

Cancel a cruise with FCC - too many variables? Are you cancelling before final payment,  after final payment, when is the FCC good until, did you have Princess insurance?

Edited by Coral

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

With Princess insurance you have to insure the FCC. This was a change that they made when FCC's came out.

Cancel a cruise with FCC - too many variables? Are you cancelling before final payment,  after final payment, when is the FCC good until, did you have Princess insurance?

every variable. i like to know the rules of all . this is why i'm asking because i'm deciding between princess and private insurance. 

for example if i get my FCC back regardless of reason , even at date of the cruise, no point in insuring it. 

Edited by luckyinpa

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

every variable. i like to know the rules of all . this is why i'm asking because i'm deciding between princess and private insurance. 

for example if i get my FCC back regardless of reason , even at date of the cruise, no point in insuring it. 

It helps to know when your FCC expires. We really need more information to answer. You haven't provided all the information.

Just some simple insurance "words of wisdom."  CFAR and other trip cancellation/interruption coverage is for very "limited liability."  In other words, the most you will lose (or recover) is the cost of your trip which is an expense you can afford since you booked the trip.  However, your potential liability for medical expenses is unlimited and the cost of medical evacuation can be massive!

Why do I mention this?  Because many (not all) CFAR policies are inadequate when it comes to medical and evacuation coverage.  

Hank

" Princess may sometimes also elect to award a good-will FCC, or bonus FCC. FCCs issued in lieu of refunds are refundable (“Refundable FCCs”); otherwise FCCs are not refundable (“Nonrefundable FCCs”). 

well that really sucks. so if i had used the entire FCC today instead of just 100 out of it for the non refundable deposit,  even if i canceled before final payment and before april 1, they wouldnt refund the FCC! craziness. def doesnt pay to pay off your bill early. glad i asked my agent to only use 100 for the deposit.

------------

also since i have to book by april 1 and sail by april 1 next year. that means that even if i cancel my cruise before the window of final payment, which is this june, but after the april 1 booking deadline, i lose the FCC because i cant possibly rebook by april 1 2023, if it's after april 1. 

now i understand why they mandate you include FCC in the insured amount. 

now TA writes back to me:

Spoke with Princess and if you cancel with the Platinum insurance for the covered reasons you do not get an FCC but a refund. Except for FCC portions which would then go back to your account. As far as not insuring the FCC portion the price of the Platinum insurance is for the whole cruise so there isn’t separate portions that you can or cannot insure.

------------------------

so to me it's clear i would get the FCC back even though it's expired after april 1. which is great news. 

Does your FCC represent cash value from a refund or is it bonus/goodwill? I’m asking because Steve said not to insure it. That indicates it has no cash value.

Is the FCC that is returned in case of cancellation the same one you booked with that expires in April?  Look again at Paragraph 3 of the Terms & Conditions. 

Edited by Babr