12 Nights of Luminae Food Photos - Celebrity Edge

QM2 Cruiser

On 11/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, hcat said:

Great job of presenting the photos with names of the dishes.

Tasting is the Ultimate test.

We just had our fIrst experience in Luminae on BEYOND. Sorry to say,   it was sub-par and disappointing...otherwise we truly loved BEYOND  and  the Retreat .

In Luminae, a beautiful venue,  the shrimp cocktail shrimp were  small & mushy, the sauce was like ketchup.. We only ate there 3 out of 5 nights.  Overall the menu was uninspiring... For 2  nights, I had the aways available salmon, onion soup or salad. ( all excellent) .  The chic night menu was okay  I had the scallops and two of the tiny lobster tails which were  succulent and sweet.   The vegetables sparse on the plate  were mostly burned and not edible.   Desserts look great but we don't eat  them very often.? We decided not to return to Luminae.

We also ate on Raw in Five which was outstanding..lots of non sushi chouces..  The last night we went to  BLU (our old favorite) Had nice fresh shrimp cocktail, filet mignon to perfection..  very impressed! There was a full bread tray on the table..not doled out liked in Luminae..and the  nice butter and veggie spreads...we prefer that over the amuse bouche...

Tastes differ but we know many others who wish the BLU menu was served in Luminae.  We will probably book Retreat/ Beyond again but would try to avoid Luminae as much as possible...unless we hear the menu and  food  improve.

We had hoped to be impressed, but unfortunately were not!

Thanks for these wonderful photos.  Very kind of you to post them.  I agree that the desserts are the best part of the meal in Luminae--I love that Boulud Vacherin!  But I also prefer Blu to Luminae in general.  Their bread tray is excellent with those nice spreads, I love their drinks menu and the service is so welcoming.  

Edited by quicklabs
  • Thanks 1

I was in The Retreat on  Silhouette for the recent transatlantic from Southampton to Miami. Since the invention of Luminae, this was, by far, the most disappointing experience. Many of the foods I received were at best lukewarm- soups, main courses,  and then one breakfast disappointment. Completely cold and undercooked Belgian waffles. I sent several courses back; they were returned somewhat warmer, but never hot.. I was not alone in my opinion. It was a frequent discussion in The Retreat Lounge- food temperature, over or undercooked foods.

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

One of the things we like about Luminae is the portion size.  We prefer the smaller size. 

While I agree smaller size is typically fine- not a great fan of tapas.  I  Like a fist sized portion of most foods, appetizers can be smaller, but not a tiny shrimp on a cracker.

10 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

While I agree smaller size is typically fine- not a great fan of tapas.  I  Like a fist sized portion of most foods, appetizers can be smaller, but not a tiny shrimp on a cracker.

I am not sure what you received that was a tiny shrimp on a cracker, unless it was an amouse-bouche which precedes the appetizers.   All of the appetizers and main dishes I have found to be adequate portions and if it is something I have enjoyed in the past and would like more of, I simply ask the waiter for two servings on a single plate.   

This thread shows  pictures of the dishes from Luminae that shows the portion size.  I would not consider any of them 'tapas'. 

Edited by DaKahuna

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

...appetizers can be smaller, but not a tiny shrimp on a cracker.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:06 PM, QM2 Cruiser said:

233D2AA6-0426-454B-8B1E-4445A563D6E0.thumb.jpeg.28b8ab383778372f0bf8c05443aeb8aa.jpeg

Grilled Shrimp with Lavosh Cracker

The "tiny shrimp on a cracker" is not an appetizer. It's an amuse bouche, a small bite intended to wake your taste buds. 

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

The "tiny shrimp on a cracker" is not an appetizer. It's an amuse bouche, a small bite intended to wake your taste buds. 

I understand about amuse bouche, but the entree's have been reduced in size- maybe cost cutting measures.  I am not a dessert person and like a respectable portion of fish, poultry or beef for dinner and a big salad.  I feel like a pest if I say may I please have another.  I also am not a fan of a buffet- 

9 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I understand about amuse bouche, but the entree's have been reduced in size- maybe cost cutting measures.  I am not a dessert person and like a respectable portion of fish, poultry or beef for dinner and a big salad.  I feel like a pest if I say may I please have another.  I also am not a fan of a buffet- 

I can see where you might miss a 'big salad', I have not seen big salads really offered, except when ordering a 'dinner salad', but the portion sizes for their protein dishes are on par with the size we receive at restaurants where we live.   Then again, I never order a t-bone or porterhouse steak at steak restaurants.  Maybe they serve larger portions where you live. 

Just now, DaKahuna said:

I can see where you might miss a 'big salad', I have not seen big salads really offered, except when ordering a 'dinner salad', but the portion sizes for their protein dishes are on par with the size we receive at restaurants where we live.   Then again, I never order a t-bone or porterhouse steak at steak restaurants.  Maybe they serve larger portions where you live. 

A New York Steak house serves such large portions, you bring home half for the next day!  I am not very thin nor overweight, but I enjoy a nice dinner- I would order a ribeye!  lol!  I have family in Richmond VA. But they are mostly vegan's.

3 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

A New York Steak house serves such large portions, you bring home half for the next day!  I am not very thin nor overweight, but I enjoy a nice dinner- I would order a ribeye!  lol!  I have family in Richmond VA. But they are mostly vegan's.

Vegan relatives, my condolences. 

I guess I am just so use to ordering a 6 - 8 oz filet or a 10 oz strip that the portion sizes seem normal to me.   I have, on occasion, even ordered the small filet that is on the children's menu when I was not very hungry.

Just now, DaKahuna said:

Vegan relatives, my condolences. 

I guess I am just so use to ordering a 6 - 8 oz filet or a 10 oz strip that the portion sizes seem normal to me.   I have, on occasion, even ordered the small filet that is on the children's menu when I was not very hungry.

When I have family over for dinner it is a nightmare- We now either take everyone out for dinner so they can all eat what they want or order in separate for each.  My DH eats less then me and is happy with the small filet like you.  

• Like 1