Ballroom dancing on Insignia

Carnevale

We love to do some ballroom dancing when we cruise and, from past experience, know that Cunard may be our best bet.  But we have found in itinerary on O that looks interesting but before we book we wanted to see if we could get info on whether there is any ballroom dancing (including Latin and Argentine Tango) and, if there is, about how much we should expect.  We would be sailing Insignia which is a smaller ship so it may not offer what we are looking for.

Any insights anyone can pass along will be greatly appreciated!

And, while I've got you, does anyone know if staterooms on deck 6 forward are noisy in the evenings since they are above the theatre?

Many thanks!

They do offer some dancing  in the evening before  the show  but  it is limited

Yes above & below the Theatre  will be noisy during show time & afternoon rehearsal

I would not choose O for the dancing  if that is you primary  reason to cruise

JMO

Many thanks LHT28.  Do you have any idea of how late the noise in the theatre ends?  I think the performances are usually around 9pm but am not sure and I don't know how long they tend to run (about 45 mins like many other lines??) or if they use the theatre for anything else after that.

When you have seen dancing in the evening, where on the ship did it tend to be offered?

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Many thanks LHT28.  Do you have any idea of how late the noise in the theatre ends?  I think the performances are usually around 9pm but am not sure and I don't know how long they tend to run (about 45 mins like many other lines??) or if they use the theatre for anything else after that.

When you have seen dancing in the evening, where on the ship did it tend to be offered?

Thanks again!

The show is usually 9:30 to 10:30 ish  & the band  will play prior to the show  for dancing  maybe 45 mins prior

Also at Tea there is  the string quartet or band  4-5pm  & people will dance  then as well but in Horizons 

We were on Insignia and like to sit in the theatre before the performances.  They usually had music and couples dancing.   I can't dance at all but do enjoy watching others dance.

Way  back when -- again, I think it was Renaissance, not Oceania -- there was a grand piano in the GDR with a small dancing area.  I remember a ballroom couple who were REALLY good dancing there. It was fun to watch them. I also rehearsed a recital program I was about to give in Denmark while the waiters were still working ...they didn't complain about the "noise".  (I did ask permission beforehand!)

That piano is long gone, however ... I think another best bet is going to Horizons on the smaller ships after dinner.  When we've been there at that time there was plenty of "danceable" music. Good music, too.  Also a larger area for dancing than the GDR had way back when.

Mura

• Thanks 1

I have been on Regatta and Sirena this year and neither of those cruises had the band playing in the theater before the evening show. Maybe the Insignia does, I don't know. 

The only dancing that I was aware of was a couple of afternoons when the band played on the pool deck at sailaway.  There was also dancing most nights in Horizons at 10:30.  Each cruise is different - check your Currents every day. 

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

I have been on Regatta and Sirena this year and neither of those cruises had the band playing in the theater before the evening show. Maybe the Insignia does, I don't know. 

The only dancing that I was aware of was a couple of afternoons when the band played on the pool deck at sailaway.  There was also dancing most nights in Horizons at 10:30.  Each cruise is different - check your Currents every day. 

We were onboard Regatta this year and agree, no band playing before evening show. Live music and dancing in Horizons at Happy Hour and in the evening.

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Maybe  it is covid times still

Pre covid  there was dancing   sorry for misleading people

Last month, on Sirena, it depended upon the show. IF, the cast was performing that night, then the band often set up early and played early and some danced.

If however, an outside entertainer was performing, not needing the band, such as a couple of the comedians, then no band playing in the Lounge that evening.

Seems to me the band played at ( after) the Cpt’s Reception, and the OCA repeater party where the CD encouraged people to dance after the main presentations.

The band did play at the Captain's Reception in the lounge where dancing was encouraged. We never went to Happy Hour in Horizons but that may have been another opportunity for dancing as someone mentioned.

Interesting...I was on Sirena last month too. My husband and I went to all of the cast performances. There were 4 on our 10-day cruise.  We also went to a couple of the guest entertainer shows where the band performed along with the guest. We were in the lounge at 9:00 for all those shows and the band did not perform before 9:30. There was recorded music over the PA.  The curtain opened at 9:30 and that was the first we saw or heard the band. 

The point is there are only a few opportunties for dancing. I wouldn't count on many if that's what someone is hoping for.

16 hours ago, Mura said:

Way  back when -- again, I think it was Renaissance, not Oceania -- there was a grand piano in the GDR with a small dancing area.  I remember a ballroom couple who were REALLY good dancing there. It was fun to watch them. I also rehearsed a recital program I was about to give in Denmark while the waiters were still working ...they didn't complain about the "noise".  (I did ask permission beforehand!)

That piano is long gone, however ... I think another best bet is going to Horizons on the smaller ships after dinner.  When we've been there at that time there was plenty of "danceable" music. Good music, too.  Also a larger area for dancing than the GDR had way back when.

Mura

People dancing is the last thing I want to see while dining. On the other hand I wouldn't mind some soft string quartet music. 

• Like 2

I checked through my daily Currents for a September Regatta cruise for a recent example of what you may encounter. Either the Regatta ensemble or the Regatta show band had pre-dinner or pre-show dancing one to three times during the evening. Twice per evening (45 min. sessions between ~5:30 and 7:30 pm) was the most common. There were also some after-show performances with the band, but whether they do ballroom pieces probably depends on how broad your definition of ballroom is since the music trends toward pop/disco 😉.

As mentioned previously, the schedule will vary depending on multiple factors. I have even seen avid dancers bring their own music (played softly) to practice when Horizons was not being used for something else. Also mentioned earlier, the string quartet may play some dance-able selections during tea. If you are flexible and are happy dancing once per day (but possibly more), it seems like you would have the opportunity. Don't be shy about making requests...everyone loves a tango!

Edited by AMHuntFerry

Many thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.  Seems that if we decide to book on O we will have to expect none to a few opportunities for ballroom dancing.  We have cruised a lot on other lines and, as a result, have learned to go with the flow and dance to a broad range of music as long as the beat works ( e.g., we had a great set of Argentine Tangos on Princess when a violinist played in the atrium….not a traditional dance arrangement but it worked very well).