Starlink Equipped Ships

Epinz300

Is there a way to see which ships have starlink as their internet provider?

I just got off Freedom this past Friday and didn't get internet cause they were still showing VOOM however I heard that Liberty of the Seas (out of Ft Laud) has starlink on ship.  

Looking into taking a cruise early January with family but switching to Liberty so we could get internet and make it more of a work remote week.

7 minutes ago, Epinz300 said:

Is there a way to see which ships have starlink as their internet provider?

This is a crowdsourced table which has some updated info about the type of internet on each ship. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kZ1gCFtt1eiX1OWw9q-8tnEU5uQCWIjBwQt-w3t040s/edit

All ships have VOOM and Freedom has had Starlink for several weeks. 

There not enough of a diff between O3B and Starlink to make much diff on Liberty for most use cases, including remote work. 

9 hours ago, nolegirl01 said:

Freedom has Starlink. We were just on it back in August and we had the surf & stream internet and was using starlink. Pretty decent speeds and we even streamed Netflix. 

A8ED2D46-105A-4EF4-85D4-3AE1B727DF72.jpeg

81349481-5FB0-4EE7-8378-2C22961DCF36.jpeg

Do you think its fast enough to check emails in morning?  Don't really need to stream it.

Also, Go Noles!

14 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

We were on Freedom last week and were able to livestream our daughter's high school volleyball game in 4k in playmakers. 

Did you do a speed test? It was very unlikely as the poster listed a few months ago. The "normal" 4 Mbps limit on most ships is enough to stream like that. Most apps/browser adjust to whatever BW is available and display that - on small screens, like phones/tablets, it's probably difficult to see the diff.

Edited by Biker19

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Did you do a speed test? It was very unlikely as the poster listed a few months ago. The "normal" 4 Mbps limit on most ships is enough to stream like that. Most apps/browser adjust to whatever BW is available and display that - on small screens, like phones/tablets, it's probably difficult to see the diff.

I did not, but my comment was more addressing the streaming Netflix part of the comment you had quoted. I was on Allure back in April and could barely load a webpage, so whatever they are doing on Freedom is considerably better. 

18 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

I was on Allure back in April and could barely load a webpage, so whatever they are doing on Freedom is considerably better. 

The thing is, Starlink won't fix network issues on the ship (like poor reception in your cabin), weather or other caused outages, increase the download speed - the main thing Starlink will do is considerably lower latency (which many will perceive as a performance increase). On a properly working O3B equipped Allure, you should have been able to stream the same way you did on Freedom - it's very unlikely Starlink will fix other issues which occur with O3B or legacy sat internet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 5:28 AM, Biker19 said:

Don't count on that today.

Yeah, as more people get on Star Link the more the speed drops. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/12/starlink-speeds-in-us-dropped-from-105mbps-to-53mbps-in-the-past-year/

It was pretty disappointing on Allure last week. Lots of connectivity issues and Wifi calling only worked once. I only did a speed test a few times and the speed was around 3.5 mbps with a ping between 500-900ms.

33 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I only did a speed test a few times and the speed was around 3.5 mbps with a ping between 500-900ms.

That ping is certainly not normal. 

The loss of speed with more customers on Starlink might not affect things on ships much where most are limited to about 4 Mbps.

Edited by Biker19

15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That ping is certainly not normal. 

The loss of speed with more customers on Starlink might not affect things on ships much where most are limited to about 4 Mbps.

It might impact the total bandwidth available to the ship, especially in an area where multiple ships are being serviced by the same satellite.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Sailing Wonder Friday with the media cruise. Free internet for everyone. But I'm guessing under 3000 pax

I'll do speedchecks to see if they throttle it down. 

Wonder speed was horrible on the Nov 13 cruise. It was not Starlink.