Carnival Celebration or Regal Princess?

kuxiam

We have booked a great deal for a balcony on Celebration, then along comes an even better deal for a balcony on the Regal Princess. We have a couple days until final payment for Celebration. We have never been on the Excel class of Carnival ships. The Princess cruise comes out to $300 less pp, with potentially even more savings over Carnival if we choose plus. But we can't decide! Is cruising on the new class of ship worth the extra $$$?

Edited by kuxiam

11 minutes ago, kuxiam said:

We have booked a great deal for a balcony on Celebration, then along comes an even better deal for a balcony on the Regal Princess. We have a couple days until final payment for Celebtation. We have never been on the Excel class of Carnival ships. The Princess cruise comes out to $300 less pp, with potentially even more savings over Carnival if we choose plus. But we can't decide! Is cruising on the new class of ship worth the extra $$$?

I guess it depends on if you like Carnival.  To us there is not really a comparison.... will never cruise on Carnival.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kuxiam said:

We have booked a great deal for a balcony on Celebration, then along comes an even better deal for a balcony on the Regal Princess. We have a couple days until final payment for Celebration. We have never been on the Excel class of Carnival ships. The Princess cruise comes out to $300 less pp, with potentially even more savings over Carnival if we choose plus. But we can't decide! Is cruising on the new class of ship worth the extra $$$?

We only do longer Carnival “Journey’s “ which are great and loved the Mediterranean inaugural sailings with Carnival.  We won’t do short sailings less than 10 days with them.  We have status on both lines and RCCL also.  

Enjoy the vibe of longer PCL cruises more.  JMHO

I would most definitely choose Princess over Carnival based on past experience.  Keep in mind, we’re seniors, so that probably tells the story.  I’m sure there are many folks here who sail Carnival and enjoy it immensely.  We tried four times over the years to give it another chance, but each cruise became more disappointing than the last.  
Princess is a very consistent product.  Usually, no big surprises or huge disappointments.  Good food, good service, decent entertainment, pretty decor throughout the ship and acceptable accommodations.  Very predictable, but very comfortable.  Princess also offers interesting itineraries and really competitive pricing.  
You will now hear from people on the other side of the coin who think Princess is boring and Carnival is exciting.  To each their own and nobody is wrong….just different tastes.  

Our next cruise is on Regal in 2023.  We love the Royal Class ships.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

Every time you hear of problems on the seas and party boats that turn into booze cruises... Carnival seems to be the line that has the problem. But, Carnival is also the largest cruise line in the world, if I'm not mistaken.

Full disclosure...  I have not sailed Carnival.

But, I think it all comes down to some of the details.

I might consider a new Carnival ship.   They do look VERY nice!

And, they have a lot more to offer in food venues, vibe, etc.

A lot might be your preferences.

What are you hoping for in a cruise.

What are your favorite things about being on a cruise and a cruise ship.

Which destinations/ports do you prefer.

For me,  just myself,  I would have to say I would never sail Carnival if it were a shorter itinerary, and older ship,  or if it were during a time when a lot of young adults and families sail.  Think middle of summer, spring break, holidays.

I think the demographics would make that decision for me.

As always, that is personal preference.

(Edited to change this...  I now see that you have sailed Royal Princess.  So, that is a sister ship, and very very similar to Regal.  Regal has the Aft pool.)

Personally, I really love Regal.   And these are the factors that explain why.

1. Central Piazza hub.  International Cafe and Coffee bar, Entertainment, etc.

2.  The adult retreat pool area, which on Regal has not been enclosed by cabins like it has on newer ships.

3.  The Sanctuary

4.  The vibe,  which decidedly is not really what I would think of on a Carnival 'fun ship' party cruise.

What Carnival might have that would be different or better???

The casual dining venues and offerings.

A more 'fun' active vibe.

Standard balcony cabins, and the actual standard balcony size on Regal are small.

That would be another thing to look at and compare, which cabin you would be getting on the ships.

Start a paper with a plus and con side for each cruise.

Sleep on it.

And the one that fits best might become an easier choice!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Doesn't itinerary matter?

I am not a Carnival fan in general, but I've booked on both Panorama and Mardi Gras to try the new ships.

I like Princess a lot and if the cruise includes Princess Cays and the Celebration doesn't include Half Moon Cay, that might tip it for me.

I have seen several replies on this thread and other threads about which ship has more food venues.  You are on the ship for 7 days.  If you assume that the food venue is important only for dinner, how many food venue choices do you need?

DON

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have seen several replies on this thread and other threads about which ship has more food venues.  You are on the ship for 7 days.  If you assume that the food venue is important only for dinner, how many food venue choices do you need?

I would not assume lunch options are not important.

Big Chicken, Guy’s Burger, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Joint, BlueIguana Cantina,  Street Eats, Chibang!, Miami Slice, Deco Deli, Bonsai Sushi, Bonsai Teppanyaki, Seafood Shack and Emeril’s Bistro 1397 are all open at lunch. Not everyone leaves the ship in ports.

Having been on a few Royal class ships as well as almost all the carnival ship classes (not the Dream Class or Excel class); I’d choose Excel, only because it’s “new” and to me, they fixed all the issues I had with carnival (not enough dining choices; which the Excel classes has a LOT of)

If it was another class of Carnival ship, I would definitely pick princess; as carnival only has two dining venues (MDR and Lido deck) and even then, limited hours…on princess you have MDR, Lido, Alfredo’s, AND complimentary room service that has ACTUAL food on the menu!