Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We never travel without plenty of insurance. Hope we never have the need to use it.

That’s the right choice for most.  We choose to travel with medical and evacuation coverage.  I hope we never need it.  We chose to “self-insure” for cancellation; we’ll eat the cost of the trip without complaint if something prevents us from going.  

• Like 2

Just now, Alabamacruiser1969 said:

Well to answer your snarky answer to my question is that the current people still onboard are getting compensation by Royal Caribbean. Correct me if I’m wrong I don’t think the family of the one with the medical condition is compensating those passengers so all I am saying is Royal Caribbean needs to be fair across the board on the compensation to all who were affected by this the one’s still onboard and the one waiting to board a day later now.

Actually, I am on board and did not get anything other than a free day at sea. No onboard credit or anything else.  They are offering the internet for 1/2 of the normal daily price. 

That's it. Zero onboard credit. Please explain to me exactly what I am getting. 

Thanks. 

I edited this post to be clear...I don't want anything for free and neither do I think that I deserve anything at all. I'm just happy to be here. Thank you Royal Caribbean! 

Edited by Wheels87
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

How many times…. I have insurance.  Doesn’t cover this scenario unless I commit fraud and lie about knowing about the delay before I left the house.   I found out minutes before leaving the house, car was loaded.  

I have Delay insurance, Trip Cancel and Interruption, and Medical.  

Doesn’t matter know anyway, but people need to get off the insurance high horse. If you aren’t impacted we don’t need or want your input. 

An extra night in a Florida hotel is not a hardship for most people.  If you find it so, you should buy cancel any reason insurance.  No high horse; just being something to think about.

I was impacted.  I disembarked Jewel of the Seas today and would have boarded Wonder had she been in port as planned.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

How many times…. I have insurance.  Doesn’t cover this scenario unless I commit fraud and lie about knowing about the delay before I left the house.   I found out minutes before leaving the house, car was loaded.  

I have Delay insurance, Trip Cancel and Interruption, and Medical.  

Doesn’t matter know anyway, but people need to get off the insurance high horse. If you aren’t impacted we don’t need or want your input. 

I still don’t understand why Royal has to compensate you because of an issue not caused by them? They did not book your flight or hotel. I have options when I book flights or hotels to cancel or reschedule without penalty if I elect to go this route. If they did in fact cause the issue be some type of neglect the. They should refund you for the vacation. Not the travel to and from the vacation. How about time off work? Are they responsible for that as well? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wheels87 said:

Actually, I am on board and did not get anything other than a free day at sea. No onboard credit or anything else.  They are offering the internet for 1/2 of the normal daily price. 

That's it. Zero onboard credit. Please explain to me exactly what I am getting. 

Thanks. 

Wow you got an awesome deal. Free extra day on a nice cruise ship, food, activities, and entertainment for no charge. Wish I was on that end. Enjoy it!!!!

Edited by Mreimer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

That seems odd. What are you supposed to do at 4:30 AM in PC? I think 7AM sounds more reasonable. I seriously doubt if shoreside or CBP will be available that early. 

They can actually be available at any time.   We had a cruise return to port just a few minutes after departure (Grandeur 2019)  then a few hours later ( 8PM) we were  all told to get off because the cruise was cancelled for mechanical issues.  We  had to wait for terminal staff to return before we could disembark. 

Hotel, flight  changes etc, whatever RCCL didn't  reimburse ( RCCL gave a small allowance for each), our insurance plan did.   We did have a difficult time explaining that we didn't cancel - the cruise line did.  RCCL gave us a letter to submit for insurance. 

M

Just now, Alabamacruiser1969 said:

Well for one they are giving you point for a extra day cruising 

True, and as I stated before, that makes me really happy. They really didn't have to do that.

This thread is so interesting. I agree with everyone who is in the category of understanding that cruising can be a tumultuous vacation at times and if you read the contract, the passengers are assuming lots of risk. Sounds like about half of the folks responding here should choose another mode of vacation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mreimer said:

Wow you got an awesome deal. Free extra day on a nice cruise ship, food, activities, and entertainment for no charge. Wish I was on that end. Enjoy it!!!!

Thanks, I certainly am. Please read my edited post above. I am actually quite happy and don't feel like RC owes me anything at all. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wheels87 said:

Thanks, I certainly am. Please read my edited post above. I am actually quite happy and don't feel like RC owes me anything at all. 

Almost makes you want to stay till next Sunday……I will buy you a drink LOL

Edited by Mreimer
  • Like 1

Just now, Mreimer said:

Almost makes you want to stay till next Sunday……I will buy you a drink LOL

Awww. You are too kind! Believe me, if I could, I would. I have a B2B scheduled here on the Wonder in January. I am doubly thrilled because this one extra day put my wife and I at 80 days, so we will be Diamond for both kegs of our B2B. With four free drinks per day each, this saves us over $800 per cruise or $1600 for both. 

Of course, I would gladly trade it if it meant the person didn't have to be evacuated. 

Cheers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

As they say, you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

But there is something to be said for allowing all sides to be heard and allowed to voice their opinion without attacking or judging them.

I'm for open minded discussion. Even for the ones not pleased. Let them be heard too. 

Tough times for many. I cruise for the convenience. I still remember how carnival treated me when hurricane IKE hit Galveston  and I was travelling with 2 HC folks which caused a lot of extra grief and carnival was terrible. Havent trusted them since .. rcl at least is trying. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

But there is something to be said for allowing all sides to be heard and allowed to voice their opinion without attacking or judging them.

I'm for open minded discussion. Even for the ones not pleased. Let them be heard too. 

Tough times for many. I cruise for the convenience. I still remember how carnival treated me when hurricane IKE hit Galveston  and I was travelling with 2 HC folks which caused a lot of extra grief and carnival was terrible. Havent trusted them since .. rcl at least is trying. 

Very good comment. 

let me through this out to the group for discussion:

1. You are scheduled to go to Cococay and can’t get to the dock due to wind. Do you expect Royal to compensate you?

2. you are scheduled to go to Cococay and get there on time. It is raining like crazy and not pleasant to even get off the ship. Should Royal compensate you? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Get cancel for any reason next time.

Cancel for any reason insurance only pays 75% of your loss. Also, you must cancel 48 hours before the trip is scheduled to leave. 

RC is offering 100% credit if you cancel the trip, so insurance wouldn't pay anything anyway because there is no loss. You can't get reimbursed for flights because the airlines issue a credit, so no loss for insurance to cover. 

Insurance does cover extra expenses under the "Travel Delay" portion of the policy. This would include an additional hotel night for Sunday night. However the insurance company might argue that the refund of 1/7 of the cruise fare is meant to cover the expense of a hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Mreimer said:

Very good comment. 

1. You are scheduled to go to Cococay and can’t get to the dock due to wind. Do you expect Royal to compensate you?

2. you are scheduled to go to Cococay and get there on time. It is raining like crazy and not pleasant to even get off the ship. Should Royal compensate you? 

That's simple "no" and "no." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

Again, no offense, but if you aren't on board, then you have no idea what was communicated. I am on board and the things the person said were mostly untrue. 

Sorry, but there are many untruths being told on this thread. 

Totally agree with you. I would rather they wait to give us accurate information rather than have to correct it several times.  To add to Coco Caye missed port stop the captain tried to dock on both sides of the ship and even had the gangway down. However the swells made it unsafe and we left. Disappointing sure but understandable. 

• Like 1

Ive never been compensated for missed ports beyond taxes and fees and I have missed about five or six over the year years. On my Baltic and Med B2B years ago I missed three ports and had a fourth cut short, two because of terrorist attacks and the other because of being stuck in Russia an extra day due to high seas. 

Sucks for everyone involved; the family of the medial emergency; the people onboard the people waiting to be on board. I was on a cruise this week and originally it was this cruise before I switched to a different ship the week before final payment.

As someone who only started cruising in Jan of this year (and who is hooked by the way) reading this thread has been interesting.  I wish I could say I was surprised with some of the reactions, but given what I've seen on CC I am not.  Sadly there are those that will look for a free cruise because the salad dressing is too thick.  With that said I do 100% understand some of the uproar.  Charging (even at a discount) for Internet and drink packages etc does rub me the wrong way no doubt.  For anyone that is actually onboard how long have the lines been at GS and have the agents on staff been able to make decisions and get things done or does every visit require a 'manager'?  That certainly will add fuel to the fire.

One takeaway for me is to continue to be flexible and expect a fluid situation on any given cruise.  We are actually thankful that we drive to the port thus far (apart from one sailing in May of next year) and if a cruise was extended we can easily adapt.  Normally our dogs are looked after at home by our daughter, but when we board them we will ensure we can always extend if need be.  Also our employers would both understand.  Given what I now realize if either were not the case I wouldn't cruise.  

Has anyone heard any factual information about how the passenger with the medical emergency faired?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SG65CB said:

If the wind was pushing the ship sideways away from the pier at Coco Cay couldn't they back out and pull in on the other side of the pier and let the wind push the ship to the pier?

The captain actually attempted to dock on both sides and at one point had the gangway down. The swells made it to dangerous to let passengers off so we left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mreimer said:

Very good comment. 

No, and No.

I am very appreciative that they did credit us, but it was not expected and I would never have assumed or demanded it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jrapps said:

No, and No.

I am very appreciative that they did credit us, but it was not expected and I would never have assumed or demanded it.

Class act! I feel the same. Question do they have Crown Royal on board? I heard they resigned the contract for that but it has been hit and miss.

Edited by Mreimer
  • Thanks 1