Zandam Cruising

mcrcruiser

18 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

@ScrapnanaI'm following your other post and blog. What do you think about the entertainment onboard Zaandam? Who's the band in ocean bar? Do they play Jazz only or other dance-able music?

It's called the Ocean Bar Band and they play all kinds of music.  I have not sat and listened for any length of time put pass it a couple of times each afternoon/evening.  It is not all Jazz or even mostly Jazz from what I have heard.  They played for the Orange Party last night in the Crow's Nest and are quite good.

My only complaint of the entertainment is that we are getting more evening movies in the World Stage instead of live entertainment (especially on port days) than I remember from the past.

Edited by Scrapnana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

@ScrapnanaI'm following your other post and blog. What do you think about the entertainment onboard Zaandam? Who's the band in ocean bar? Do they play Jazz only or other dance-able music?

We were on in July. The options for entertainment is Ocean Bar band which changes members different cruises, (who plays a variety of music and there is a dance floor), a DJ in crows nest at night for dancing, a piano bar and the Lincoln Center/Explorer's Lounge for classical/chamber music. The World Stage has the usual Step One Dancers, Cantare, BBC video with live music and sometimes members of the ocean bar or piano player will play with dancers. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

My only complaint of the entertainment is that we are getting more evening movies in the World Stage instead of live entertainment (especially on port days) than I remember from the past.

Yes and same complaint.  Since they switched talent agencies (pre pandemic) there are only a few dance and Cantare shows produced that repeat across ships and maybe a comedian. The fillers are movies 😔 if you are on longer than 7 days, expect repeats on same ship. It's like they don't expect you to cruise too long or on another ship within the same year. 

5 hours ago, REOVA said:

The options for entertainment is Ocean Bar band which changes members different cruises, (who plays a variety of music and there is a dance floor), a DJ in crows nest at night for dancing

So ocean bar band is the house band which consist of 5+ musicians? When we cruised Veendam in 2019, there is no house band, and no DJ. They used a computer to play some mp3 music in ocean bar after the band, the sound quality was not good. I'm glad now there is a DJ playing in a larger lounge.

9 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

So ocean bar band is the house band which consist of 5+ musicians? When we cruised Veendam in 2019, there is no house band, and no DJ. They used a computer to play some mp3 music in ocean bar after the band, the sound quality was not good. I'm glad now there is a DJ playing in a larger lounge.

Yes. The DJ is one of the entertainment/trivia staff probably with the same mp3 machine, they use for music trivia. I guess you could call Ocean Band the house band now. HAL used to have a house band for the World Stage as well as Ocean Bar Band, now just Ocean Bar musicians (who were good). 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2022 at 2:43 AM, aprilsp88 said:

My son’s in the Ocean Bar Band — they play a wide variety of songs, from Great American Songbook classics like “As Time Goes By” to hits from all the decades until today, plus some interesting songs in other languages and crowd favorites. They definitely create sets for both ballroom and pop dancers. My husband and I just finished a 16-day Zaandam Caribbean cruise and I’ve never danced so much (and I’m not much of a dancer LOL). They also played for the New Year’s Eve party and had a crowd dancing for hours on the Lido Deck!  

Edited by Ruthenium
  • Like 1

@RutheniumI'm on the same cruise. Your son has very beautiful voice. I especially enjoyed the several slow songs he sing. I love the song he dedicated to you and your husband, the slow version of "can't take my eyes off you". Also love "La vie en rose". I hope there are more popular dance-able songs. If they could take request or ask audience what type of music they like to hear, that would be a plus. I came to their show every day they performed.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:47 AM, Ruthenium said:

My son’s in the Ocean Bar Band — they play a wide variety of songs, from Great American Songbook classics like “As Time Goes By” to hits from all the decades until today, plus some interesting songs in other languages and crowd favorites. They definitely create sets for both ballroom and pop dancers. My husband and I just finished a 16-day Zaandam Caribbean cruise and I’ve never danced so much (and I’m not much of a dancer LOL). They also played for the New Year’s Eve party and had a crowd dancing for hours on the Lido Deck!  

We were on the same cruise and were so impressed by your son and the band. What a hard working, fabulously talented band! Of all the entertainment, the Ocean Bar band was our favorite. Does he ever get a day off? We used to joke that HAL would shut down at 10pm but not on this cruise. There was a crowd in the Ocean Bar to hear them play until 11:30pm every night and they kept the dance floor filled for hours on New Years Eve. 

Your son was also the stand out in the Billboard Show on the World Stage . He is a brilliant singer and musician. Please thank him on our behalf for helping to make our cruise so wonderful.  

What is the Thermal Spa like on the Zaandam?  I usually book one on cruises to enjoy the therapy pool and not have to deal with kids using hot tubs as private pools on the Lido deck.  I've tried searching for photos, but haven't seen anything recent.

I have the thermal suite package on the Zaandam. There is a small hydrotherapy hot tub, a couple of saunas, and the delightful heated ceramic beds. 
Here’s a pic of the beds and hot tub. There’s also a nice balcony area where you can walk outside and check out the scenery. 

B2A76206-7025-4135-AA55-D883D0E44A67.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

imo HAL is way behind many of the other cruise lines in it's class with regards to entertainment in the evening . The question is will & or when will HAL management  change to bring on their ships some better entertainment choices especially for the world Stages in the fleet ? 

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

imo HAL is way behind many of the other cruise lines in it's class with regards to entertainment in the evening . The question is will & or when will HAL management  change to bring on their ships some better entertainment choices especially for the world Stages in the fleet ? 

Then why are you cruising with HAL on the "Zandam"?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

I might suggest you re-frame the wording of your question.  Personally, I am pleased with the entertainment choices on board, I love the Music Walk, and have no desire to see an Elton John impersonator on the World Stage. But that's just my opinion, which is different than yours.  It doesn't mean that your opinion is superior to mine, which is how your questions are often worded.

I think that's also why @PACD_JGasked you why you are cruising on the Zaandam, as often your comments often intimate that HAL's entertainment isn't "good enough". Why not cruise on a ship with entertainment more suited to your tastes?

L.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

I might suggest you re-frame the wording of your question.  Personally, I am pleased with the entertainment choices on board, I love the Music Walk, and have no desire to see an Elton John impersonator on the World Stage. But that's just my opinion, which is different than yours.  It doesn't mean that your opinion is superior to mine, which is how your questions are often worded.

I think that's also why @PACD_JGasked you why you are cruising on the Zaandam, as often your comments often intimate that HAL's entertainment isn't "good enough". Why not cruise on a ship with entertainment more suited to your tastes?

L.

Candidly we use HAL mainly because they sail from our home port in SD  .However ,after thee 2 future cruises we have booked with them  that could end . Not that HAL is a horrible cruise line ;But on the Dec 10th & 17th Koningsdam cruise they had  975 staff to a cruise pax of 2600+  .The service was awful in the MDR & some stations in the Lido  .Lines of many hundreds of people lined up every evening for dinner & dinner tacking 2 hours to get through .not a lot of fun  .The World Stage was used for one night of Mariachi bands brought on the ship & one night the Cruise Director talked about the 150 years of HALs sailing history . If you or any one else calls that decent ships entertainment  then go for it  .not only screw up on service  people but hardly  great entertainment .We entertained ourselves on those 2 cruises .I call it as I see it 

We are not going to give HAL our hard earned monies if they are continuing on the path that they are on & I am not alone in that thought ,We have zero allegiance to any cruise line unless we can have a pleasing experience 

From other family members who also cruise often .We are all in the 90 plus  past cruise experience levels ,we all feel that Princess is a  far better line for food service & quality ,entertainment quality  & in over all performance quality  vs HAL ,as of todays market 

Now seriously thinking of canceling both HAL future cruises  .Although HAL is  one hour& 15 minute drive closer to board than a Princess  ship .We are definitely leaning toward Princess for the future of our cruising preferences

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Now seriously thinking of canceling both HAL future cruises  .Although HAL is  one hour& 15 minute drive closer to board than a Princess  ship .We are definitely leaning toward Princess for the future of our cruising preferences

That sounds like it would be the best decision based on the opinions you've shared. I can't imagine wanting a repeat of an experience that you found so lacking. I would certainly drive an hour more for an experience I would enjoy so much more.

• Like 1