Is Celebrity getting a lot more expensive?

slanik

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

We cruised on the Symphony last month. The GS that we booked was $7800.00 for a seven night cruise. The only thing included was internet, suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen. Just off the Solstice. Eight nights in a CS. Included a butler, gratuities, Premium drink package, internet, retreat amenities ( non revolutionized ship) and $600.00 OBC. The cost on X was $600.00 less than RCI without adding the missing items such as OBC, drink package, etc. We decided that RCI can keep their Oasis class. Entertainment was a disappointment. Technical issues caused delays or cancellations. 6000+ guests made for a packed ship. Solstice was a breathe of fresh air. 

Does Star class offer any better service, support, amenities?

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Food:  RCL if freedom class/2006+

Entertainment: RCL regardless of class

We were on the VOS for 21 days in September, the entertainment was terrible! 
The guy in the schooner bar was bad , and even their theatre entertainment was substandard 

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We had originally booked a Grand Suite on the AOS for next June from Galveston before Celebrity announced the Equinox would be sailing next Summer from FLL. We are going to take our granddaughter with us. The Sky Suite on the Equinox was $200pp less than the RCCL Grand suite, and included a Butler, Premium drinks, WiFi, all gratuities and $30O each OBC for the three of us. With all the amenities on Celebrity that were not included on RCCL the real cost was hundreds lower. We canceled the RCCL cruise and lost $400 in NRD but we are still way ahead.

Ok but a more appropriate comparison, as far as just the room is concerned, to a SS on Celebrity would be a Junior Suite on Royal...any ship.  The Grand Suite is larger, much better bathroom, a "bedroom" area separated by a curtain, 2 TV's and more square footage than nearly all Sky Suites.  Junior Suite and Sky Suite very close in square footage and all are just one large room.  But yes, the perks included on X suites are better.  

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We were on the VOS for 21 days in September, the entertainment was terrible! 
The guy in the schooner bar was bad , and even their theatre entertainment was substandard 

Sorry to hear, although the question was “greater number of activities” ha ha

9 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Does Star class offer any better service, support, amenities?

Star class does but you have to go up to the few top suites for Star Class and I have looked at the prices. I will not pay those prices for the RCI product. You can go on much better lines for the same or less. 

I haven't been following this thread too closely but in response to the OP's question, I find pricing on the cruise lines we sail on most frequently (Celebrity, Oceania, HAL) to be all over the place. We always and only book veranda cabins. We also only cruise the Caribbean (close to home port) and we often don't get off the ship. So itineraries and cabin types are relatively stable in my price-shopping these cruise lines. Sometimes I can get a veranda on Oceania for less than Celebrity, in which case it's a no-brainer because of the better and more consistently edible food on Oceania, but usually Celebrity is less expensive. This isn't too surprising to me because Oceania is a bit more upscale with smaller ships, better food, better service, and more inclusions (unless you book "Always Included" on Celebrity which we do not because we don't drink alcohol). But even within Celebrity, pricing seems to be all over the place. I booked a spring 2024 cruise on Apex that was a good deal, and much less expensive than cruises around the same time on Beyond and Ascent. I assumed this was simply because Apex is an older ship, but this week I booked even less-expensive cruises on both Beyond (2025) and Ascent (late 2024) than I got on Apex (early 2024). So the newer ships, on dates further out when you might expect higher fares to account for inflation, were less expensive than a slightly older ship in the same class. And while for a couple of years HAL was always less expensive than Celebrity, more recently I've found the opposite to be true. Back to Oceania: They have a new ship (Vista) coming out next year that looks amazing. We got a great fare on that ship for fall 2023 when the bookings opened, but for 2024 and 2025 they have raised to prices on that ship so that it's roughly TWICE as much as Beyond and Ascent for the same time period. We like Oceania a bit better and are willing to pay around 25 percent more for that line, but not double.

I'm always amazed at the variability of cruise line pricing and have never been able to figure out WHY?

Guest 4-2-N-8
4 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Star class does but you have to go up to the few top suites for Star Class and I have looked at the prices. I will not pay those prices for the RCI product. You can go on much better lines for the same or less. 

Yeah, but I only book ships that have merry-go-rounds. 😄

27 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

LOL…After our cruise last month on the Symphony, I will let you have the Oasis class ships. 🙂🙂

The Oasis class ships are what sent me to Celebrity.  Never saw a reason to go back.  The lines were long for the bumper cars and the rides.  I did like the skydiving, but that was once per cruise.

But hey at least Oasis has real balconies.  Perhaps a step ahead of E class.  For those that like Eden it has a rear view better than Eden.  Hey if you like Eden you will really like Oasis 🙂 🙂 🙂   Laughing inside because E class is more Royal than Celebrity.

Edited by NMTraveller

27 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Oasis class ships are what sent me to Celebrity.  Never saw a reason to go back.  The lines were long for the bumper cars and the rides.  I did like the skydiving, but that was once per cruise.

But hey at least Oasis has real balconies.  Perhaps a step ahead of E class.  For those that like Eden it has a rear view better than Eden.  Hey if you like Eden you will really like Oasis 🙂 🙂 🙂   Laughing inside because E class is more Royal than Celebrity.

Actually what you described is the Quantum class. Oasis doesn’t have Seaplex /bumper cars or the Ripcord. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
49 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

LOL…After our cruise last month on the Symphony, I will let you have the Oasis class ships. 🙂🙂

I booked Harmony for my two young grandchildren. Taking ten people total in RLS and both SLS.

They (RCL and my TA) tell me that I will have everything cared for with access to everything, without waiting, and they won't say "no" to every reasonable/possible request. They claim the so-called Genie who will handle all three of my rooms will ensure complete satisfaction. I booked this primarily for the young kids.

I just want to dine well and enjoy drinks along the way.

But, from the posts here on CC, I'm a little concerned. 

36 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I booked Harmony for my two young grandchildren. Taking ten people total in RLS and both SLS.

They (RCL and my TA) tell me that I will have everything cared for with access to everything, without waiting, and they won't say "no" to every reasonable/possible request. They claim the so-called Genie who will handle all three of my rooms will ensure complete satisfaction. I booked this primarily for the young kids.

I've not been on Royal in several years, but last time I was, I truly felt like I was at a shopping mall a few dyas before Xmas, really the best way I can describe what it was like to me.  Now friends we were with, who did have their mid teen kids with them, they thought it was fantastic.  

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I've not been on Royal in several years, but last time I was, I truly felt like I was at a shopping mall a few dyas before Xmas, really the best way I can describe what it was like to me.  Now friends we were with, who did have their mid teen kids with them, they thought it was fantastic.  

Understood, and I'm girding my loins going in with knowledge from CCers.

I figure the grandkids can run with the Genie to explore the ship while the adults will be together on one or the other of our balconies - very likely, the RLS with the hot tub with that great starboard view of the sea.

Will only do Coastal Kitchen for breakfast each day, while all dinners will be specialty restaurants only.

Will have three shore excursion days and these are all "kid" driven.

Other than that, I plan to avoid the madhouse on lower decks and remain on deck 17 in the suites area, the suite lounge, or suite sundeck/bar, save for dining and any shows where there may be seats set aside for my group.

Not sure how my expectations will match reality, but if it weren't for the young kids, I have zero interest in such large ships or anything catering to kids.

Good thing I've booked a follow on Mediterranean cruise in an Edge Villa on Beyond. 😄 

9 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Understood, and I'm girding my loins going in with knowledge from CCers.

I figure the grandkids can run with the Genie to explore the ship while the adults will be together on one or the other of our balconies - very likely, the RLS with the hot tub with that great starboard view of the sea.

Will only do Coastal Kitchen for breakfast each day, while all dinners will be specialty restaurants only.

Will have three shore excursion days and these are all "kid" driven.

Other than that, I plan to avoid the madhouse on lower decks and remain on deck 17 in the suites area, the suite lounge, or suite sundeck/bar, save for dining and any shows where there may be seats set aside for my group.

Not sure how my expectations will match reality, but if it weren't for the young kids, I have zero interest in such large ships or anything catering to kids.

Good thing I've booked a follow on Mediterranean cruise in an Edge Villa on Beyond. 😄 

Sounds like a very good plan and I bet both you and the grands will all have a great time, a good plan for all interests!  Enjoy the EV, was in one for 2 weeks on the Edge TA last month, was really great.

Guest 4-2-N-8
18 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Sounds like a very good plan and I bet both you and the grands will all have a great time, a good plan for all interests!  Enjoy the EV, was in one for 2 weeks on the Edge TA last month, was really great.

That's good to hear.

I'm on Beyond next month in an EV for a 7-night Western Caribbean to try out the line and the cabin.

I have an August 11-night Eastern Mediterranean cruise, also in an EV on Beyond.

I like the EV having direct access to Retreat lounge, Luminae, and the Retreat sundeck and bar with zero need to traverse crowds or elevators.

Likewise, only doing Luminae for breakfast, and specialties for all dinners.

If there are any shows with reserved seats, I'd consider them.

Just want to avoid the crush of any crowds as much as possible, have drinks, watch the sea go by, sit in some water, preferably warm(er) water.

I have read so many gripes on this site about Beyond, about service, about the dining experiences.

I'm looking for memorable, and peaceful. Don't let me down, Celebrity. 

Edited by 4-2-N-8

On 12/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I was pleased to see that the Allure, when she starts sailing the 3/4 night runs out of Pt Canaveral (replacing the Independence), has GS cabins for about $2k for the 3 nights, which is actually just a tad less than we paid on the Indy for 2-3 sailings. Not to mention that the Allure has a lot more to offer! I see some weekend cruises in our future on that ship.. I can skip out early on a Friday afternoon, drive 20 minutes, and be back in the office between 8-9 on Monday morning. 🙂

I certainly prefer longer sailings, but sometimes a quick fix does the trick.

Tom

Is this a Bahamas cruise on the Allure?  Do they stop anywhere besides Nassau?

8 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

You probably be asking on the RCL section

On 11/30/2022 at 6:10 PM, slanik said:

We have several Celebrity cruises booked out to spring of 2024.  Every time I see a sale, I check the current prices for my current bookings.  They are always more expensive now.  Sometimes they are almost twice as much now.  When I look beyond spring of 2024, I see lots of cruises very high priced.  Has inflation got to the cruise industry too?  Will I still be able to afford Celebrity in the future?  I hope so.  Anyone else notice this?

We have pretty much switched to Royal C., which has more affordable rates.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We have pretty much switched to Royal C., which has more affordable rates.

which has more affordable rates.  Definitely agree Celebrity rates are high.  I am taking a Med cruise on Oceania in May (other than Rome & Venice/Trieste) they go to ports that Celebrity does not or perhaps cannot.  Either way, the cost difference was substantial for the same class of suite and on a brand new ship.  Even when adding in for Retreat prepaid tips. wifi, prem bev package (we do not drink alcohol) the $$ difference is still several thousand dollars.  A win-win to us as we go to ports we know we will love in Greece & Croatia and save some of that retirement $$.  I have to say though that I LOVE Celebrity and was just on the Edge TA and everything about the cruise was A+++, truly the food, suites, service, entertainment, gorgeous ship, love the layout design etc.  But for our hard earned dollars if we can get a similiar product on Oceania and save $$ = more vacations.  We shall see.

• Like 2