Princess raising prices of plus and premier packages

justafem

On 12/1/2022 at 9:34 PM, Thrak said:

That information is included in this news release:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-enhances-value-with-exciting-new-offerings-to-all-inclusive-princess-plus-and-premier-packages-301691550.html

Now for just $60 per person per day, Princess Plus will give guests almost 60% off a retail value of $140 if components are purchased separately. The enhanced package includes the Plus Beverage Package, single device wi-fi plan and daily crew appreciation. Two premium crafted desserts and two fitness classes/day, unlimited juices, and free shipping of Medallions prior to cruises are the new additions to the Princess Plus package.

And with Princess Premier, inclusivity and value are taken to the next level. Guests receive up to $257 per day in total amenity value, if components are purchased separately, for just $80 per person per day, an almost 70% savings. Within the Princess Premier package guests will enjoy the Premier Beverage Package, four device wi-fi plan, daily crew appreciation, two nights of specialty dining, photo package, Princess Prizes, unlimited Premium crafted desserts, unlimited smoothies or juices, unlimited fitness classes, reserved seating in the Princess Theater and a complimentary Medallion accessory. 

With the “2 nights dining in a specialty restaurant” is that for any length of cruise? We are on a 14night cruise, so do we get the same as those on a 4 or 7 night cruise? Can you see what I’m getting at? Princess need to clarify all these anomalies me thinks

• Like 4

On 12/2/2022 at 3:03 AM, billco said:

Then why do you keep buying it?

Personally, I never thought drinks packages were ever good value for us, until my TA said at £40pppd for Premium plus, with gratuities paid and WiFi (one device) was very good value and we would be mugs not to take it. Apart from the financial saving, (considering also that we are only social drinkers), the convenience of knowing that our spending budget is boundless, drinkswise and all tips are covered (we will tip our cabin steward no doubt) makes for a more relaxed cruise. On top of this, as I understand it, if you have the packages, your drinks, including spa water, can be delivered direct to your cabin for free - plus snacks of course, or an ice cream sundae or two, perhaps with some strawberries!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Everyone needs to relax about the desert thing.  Really not that big of a deal, imho!

Well, it does seem to be the sine qua non of  the price increase as there aren’t any other enhancements that would drive the change in price. It makes perfect sense to weigh (pun intended) the pros, cons, value and desirability of the carnival concoctions (pun intended) when discussing this upcoming change. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2022 at 3:34 AM, JimmyVWine said:

We shall see, but I have a hard time believing that the MDR servers (or the program coders) are going to be bothered with trying to figure out if a diner has Plus_1.0; Plus_2.0; Premium_1.0 or Premium_2.0. Nothing in it for them. Much easier to grandfather in everyone who has a package. 

Your post infers that you assume that if you booked before the 14th December you would not be entitled to the new package benefits - do you know this to be a fact?

1 minute ago, peterhof said:

Your post infers that you assume that if you booked before the 14th December you would not be entitled to the new package benefits - do you know this to be a fact?

It would have been very easy for the press release to have said that guests who have already purchased a future cruise that will set sail after February will automatically be upgraded to the new package…but it didn’t. It cannot have escaped them that this question would be reoccurring. Sometimes you have to read a lot into words that aren’t there.  Also, the new packages aren’t available for sale until 12/14. If the allow retroactive application (or at least announce retroactive application) people can game the system by booking now under the $50 per day price but getting all the benefits of the $60 package. Of course there is always time for them to change their minds. I think that a $10 per day upgrade option is coming for people who are already booked, or as a show of good will, they might announce a free upgrade. They just can’t advertise this now otherwise people will game the system and rush to book. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It would have been very easy for the press release to have said that guests who have already purchased a future cruise that will set sail after February will automatically be upgraded to the new package…but it didn’t. It cannot have escaped them that this question would be reoccurring. Sometimes you have to read a lot into words that aren’t there.  Also, the new packages aren’t available for sale until 12/14. If the allow retroactive application (or at least announce retroactive application) people can game the system by booking now under the $50 per day price but getting all the benefits of the $60 package. Of course there is always time for them to change their minds. I think that a $10 per day upgrade option is coming for people who are already booked, or as a show of good will, they might announce a free upgrade. They just can’t advertise this now otherwise people will game the system and rush to book. 

With the state of family finances the way they are in the UK and the rest of Europe, nobody is booking cruises this side of the pond. Any incentive to book now seems the right one to me.

if the upgrade is not free for existing bookings, Princess could come a cropper and some folks may downgrade to standard!

2 hours ago, peterhof said:

For those booked on 2023 and later cruises with Premium Plus packages, does their cruise price increase? If so, surely Princess have broken the cruise line to passenger contract?

When the grats or anything else has had the price raised in the past, if paid before the increase, it was considered to be paid in full.

I'm assuming they'll do the same for any other prepaids.  

I have a B2B in April where we've already paid for plus.  I'm sure there'll be other to report back way before then. If I miss out on a couple of treats by paying early, so be it, I'm happy with what I paid and receive  .

Also wondering if on our Jan cruise, even though it's early, if there'll be a soft rollout.  That's happened before also.  

I guess we'll see.  

• Like 2

Personally, for me and my wife even the Princess Plus at the earlier rate of $40/person/day wasn’t a good choice for us. Something that is often overlooked is the fact the OBC can be used to pay the crew gratuities. The cruise line simply extracts it from the OBC on a daily basis. In our particular case, which will not apply to all cruisers, we drink only moderately (one or two drinks a day for me and one at the most per day for my wife); we have been to most ports before and take advantage of only a few Princess sponsored tours; and we buy few if any souvenirs. On most cruises we generally have a great deal of OBC to draw from and are Elite so we get half back for the cost of the internet service in the form of additional OBC. On a few past cruises we signed up for Princess Plus on a very selective basis, but with the recent increase in the cost of Princess Plus as the far too expensive Premium Plus we won’t be buying in again.

Like everyone says, “do the math” to see if it pays for you in particular.    

• Like 6

We stopped sailing NCL because we felt we were being "nickel and dimed" on NCL vs Princess. ($45 for a 12 pack of water). Of all the changes to Princess Plus vs Princess Premier vs Princess Basic, I never though anything was being "taken away" from anyone until this - "reserved seating in the Princess Theater".

If you're removing seating for the possibility of people sitting there.... something is being taken away. Between this and the class system on the Sun, I think our time with Princess is running out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bronzey214 said:

If you're removing seating for the possibility of people sitting there.... something is being taken away. Between this and the class system on the Sun, I think our time with Princess is running out.

I think the seating won't affect me so much as I always get to the show lounge early and always have a choice of seats but what's this about a class system on the Sun?

I haven't been keeping up with that one.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I think the seating won't affect me so much as I always get to the show lounge early and always have a choice of seats but what's this about a class system on the Sun?

I haven't been keeping up with that one.

Special areas and privileges for those that book some expensive cabins. And it will spread to other ships.

From the press release:

Also launching exclusively on Sun Princess will be a new level of suite accommodations, the Signature Collection. In addition to premium stateroom amenities, Signature Collection suites include access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge, and Signature Sun Deck, a private area of the Sanctuary.

With Sun Princess, Club Class accommodations onboard this ship, and all Princess ships will now be called Reserve Collection, which are the best-located mini suite staterooms. Within the Reserve Collection will be Reserve Collection Cabana rooms, resort-style staterooms that offer a balcony and private cabana, an extra-large outdoor lounge space. These premium accommodations also include access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peterhof said:

With the “2 nights dining in a specialty restaurant” is that for any length of cruise? We are on a 14night cruise, so do we get the same as those on a 4 or 7 night cruise? Can you see what I’m getting at? Princess need to clarify all these anomalies me thinks

Yes, 2 nights no matter how long the segment is. So if your 14 night cruise is just one segment (not a B2B), just 2.

I am not sure what they do with the second segment if it is a B2b.

Basically the Plus and Premier packages are designed for those people who in the past purchased the alcohol beverage package or would have purchased it if the price had been lower.

Since the cost of the Plus package is significantly less than the alcohol beverage package is by itself, it is a no-brainer to purchase if you want the alcohol beverage package, even without considering the inclusion of tips and the "best Wi-Fi at sea."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bronzey214 said:

We stopped sailing NCL because we felt we were being "nickel and dimed" on NCL vs Princess. ($45 for a 12 pack of water). Of all the changes to Princess Plus vs Princess Premier vs Princess Basic, I never though anything was being "taken away" from anyone until this - "reserved seating in the Princess Theater".

Well said!! Similar situation for me on NCL!

The Club Class, reserved seating , desserts, fitness classes & too many drinks- count me out - if I cruise Princess it will be basic fare. Paid all for my September 2023 cruise and will top up crew incentives while on cruise.

Hope Princess reads this thread. I gave up on last two surveys post cruise. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

Special areas and privileges for those that book some expensive cabins. And it will spread to other ships.

From the press release:

Also launching exclusively on Sun Princess will be a new level of suite accommodations, the Signature Collection. In addition to premium stateroom amenities, Signature Collection suites include access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge, and Signature Sun Deck, a private area of the Sanctuary.

With Sun Princess, Club Class accommodations onboard this ship, and all Princess ships will now be called Reserve Collection, which are the best-located mini suite staterooms. Within the Reserve Collection will be Reserve Collection Cabana rooms, resort-style staterooms that offer a balcony and private cabana, an extra-large outdoor lounge space. These premium accommodations also include access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant.

Nice, real nice.

I'm waiting for them to begin different download speeds for the internet. 😠

• Haha 3

I think it's tricky to determine the market, but Princess needs to expand.   For example, we have friends who really like Celebrity because of the special dining room, and Michael's Club.     They normally book suites.   On Princess, they book a mini at best, because, according to them, "you don't get anything extra for booking a suite on Princess".

Fully booked suites pay for a lot of the services the rest of us use, similar to first class/business class bookings on airlines covering some of the cost for basic economy seats.

Of course, they don't want to lose the folks who like the non-class conscious Princess system of old.   But, do we spend enough that we don't need the high-flyers?

Mary

• Like 2

Just curious, My husband and I are going on a 7 day cruise with another couple.  We are all in suites, so we get the first night at a special restaurant. But we have the Premiere and they have the Plus package. Can we use 2 of the 4 extra meals we get on the Premiere package to gift to the other couple? Has anyone ever gifted an included meal in a special restaurant before?

5 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

IMO, it is Princess doing the gaming.  They want you to book ASAP, which is one of the reasons they announce the increases in advance.  Princess does not want you to wait.  

I am confident that the additional (minor) enhancements will apply to those that booked before the price increase. 

On 12/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, Steelers36 said:

Hmm.. have to disagree.  Unless a recent policy change I missed?  The only way to earn the associated OBC from a FCD is to use the FCD as the initial deposit.  After that, it is just a down-payment towards the balance and no benefit accrues.

Yep you are correct. I had applied some to existing cruise and gotten obc. but I just checked with my pvp and he said that he had in fact canceled and rebooked them  just did not tell me he was doing so since nothing else had changed.

I've read the thread about the cost of drinks but I don't see anyone including the 15% gratuity that is added when you buy a drink.  That is included on Princess  when you buy the package.  Not so on some other cruise lines.

Stay safe and well,

Captain Mark

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

IMO, it is Princess doing the gaming.  They want you to book ASAP, which is one of the reasons they announce the increases in advance.  Princess does not want you to wait.  

I am confident that the additional (minor) enhancements will apply to those that booked before the price increase. 

I agree, especially in the UK, as on booking Princess now want 30% non returnable deposit per person!

Edited by peterhof

4 minutes ago, PRCO11N said:

I've read the thread about the cost of drinks but I don't see anyone including the 15% gratuity that is added when you buy a drink.  That is included on Princess  when you buy the package.  Not so on some other cruise lines.

Stay safe and well,

Captain Mark

They have now upped that to 18% gratuity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaver John said:

Just curious, My husband and I are going on a 7 day cruise with another couple.  We are all in suites, so we get the first night at a special restaurant. But we have the Premiere and they have the Plus package. Can we use 2 of the 4 extra meals we get on the Premiere package to gift to the other couple? Has anyone ever gifted an included meal in a special restaurant before?

You may have to wait until you are on board to make the reservation, but if you have all 4 meals charged to your onboard account, I think that would work.

• Like 1