Princess raising prices of plus and premier packages

justafem

8 hours ago, peterhof said:

Does that mean bookings made BEFORE December 14th don’t receive the extras and get the Aug 2022 drinks package beverage menu? Lot of extra work for crew and admin if that’s their plan

6 hours ago, justafem said:

When the grats or anything else has had the price raised in the past, if paid before the increase, it was considered to be paid in full.

I'm assuming they'll do the same for any other prepaids.  

That also works when they do downgrades to what you have purchased.

Those who booked the alcohol beverage package included when booking what is now called the Plus package only have the current included options, with a number of selection available before are now only available with the higher priced Premier package.

58 minutes ago, peterhof said:

I agree, especially in the UK, as on booking Princess now want 30% non returnable deposit per person!

This is an excellent sales point for buying Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs).  That's pretty steep.  Hopefully you will find some $1 deposits.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, caribill said:

That also works when they do downgrades to what you have purchased.

Those who booked the alcohol beverage package included when booking what is now called the Plus package only have the current included options, with a number of selection available before are now only available with the higher priced Premier package.

Sorry, that’s not the official Princess position. We booked our Oct 2023 Island Princess cruise in June this year. In August Princess changed their drinks package menus, which then applied to our booking. Under UK contract law Princess MUST honour both the price we booked at, with the same or above benefits, as we paid the Princess UK compulsory 30% non returnable deposit. I am confident that the upgraded packages will apply without any increase in price. Actually their original confirmation states this.

That may not be the same for passengers booked in North America, especially as your deposits, I understand are returnable for any reason, including change of mind.

For many years this has been a real niggle to UK customers and we have always wondered why American passengers are considered to be the preferential elite!

At last the boot is on the other foot!! Yeh

28 minutes ago, peterhof said:

Sorry, that’s not the official Princess position. We booked our Oct 2023 Island Princess cruise in June this year. In August Princess changed their drinks package menus, which then applied to our booking. Under UK contract law Princess MUST honour both the price we booked at, with the same or above benefits, as we paid the Princess UK compulsory 30% non returnable deposit. I am confident that the upgraded packages will apply without any increase in price. Actually their original confirmation states this.

Your price will not change.

The former Premier Beverage Package that you booked has been renamed the Plus Beverage Package and it is the selections within the Plus Beverage Package at the time you cruise you will get without an additional charge.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

Your price will not change.

The former Premier Beverage Package that you booked has been renamed the Plus Beverage Package and it is the selections within the Plus Beverage Package at the time you cruise you will get without an additional charge.

Can you direct me to the Princess statement that says this please, or are you a Princess spokes person?

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

IMO, it is Princess doing the gaming.  They want you to book ASAP, which is one of the reasons they announce the increases in advance.  

However, I do not see these new options mentioned on Princess website.

5 minutes ago, peterhof said:

Can you direct me to the Princess statement that says this please, or are you a Princess spokes person?

@peterhof  see the FAQ #11 under the beverage packages section on princess.com.  

The beverage package for Princess Plus used to be called Premier Beverage Package. The drinks package included in Princess Plus is now called Plus Beverage Package. Does it include everything that was in the previous package?
Yes. The contents of the Plus Beverage Package are exactly what the previous beverage package for Princess Plus had. The only change is the name.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, peterhof said:

That may not be the same for passengers booked in North America, especially as your deposits, I understand are returnable for any reason, including change of mind.

For many years this has been a real niggle to UK customers and we have always wondered why American passengers are considered to be the preferential elite!

Is it your government or the cruiseline putting the non refundable deposits and other restrictions in place?

By the way, I am in Canada and WE do not get our medallions shipped to us, either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRCO11N said:

I've read the thread about the cost of drinks but I don't see anyone including the 15% gratuity that is added when you buy a drink.  That is included on Princess  when you buy the package.  Not so on some other cruise lines.

Stay safe and well,

Captain Mark

It is on HAL- check it out. Called HIA

40 minutes ago, peterhof said:

Definitely not a Princess spokesperson.

A call to the UK Princess office should allow you to verify what you will be getting with your package.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

However, I do not see these new options mentioned on Princess website.

That is the point that people are missing. If you book today you pay $50 per day for Plus and you get what you get. There is no obligation, legal or otherwise for you to get included desserts that you haven’t paid for. That doesn’t mean that Princess might not make a goodwill gesture. But it isn’t obligated to do so. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Yes. The contents of the Plus Beverage Package are exactly what the previous beverage package for Princess Plus had. The only change is the name.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

And what the contents in the description are is beverages priced up to $12.00. That has definitely not changed.

What has changed is some beverages that used to be $12 or less now cost more than $12 and are no longer included without an extra charge.

The Princess description does not specify any liquor or wine by brand name being included in the Plus package, just the price limit.

• Like 1

I ran the figures for my 5 day cruise.  I don't drink.  I get Wi-Fi at half price (should be free but that's another story).  I have already prepaid the gratuities.

The bottom line? Standard fare, port extortions, pre-paid Wi-Fi, gratuities, and the soda package comes to $70 less for the cruise than using the Plus program.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, peterhof said:

With the “2 nights dining in a specialty restaurant” is that for any length of cruise? We are on a 14night cruise, so do we get the same as those on a 4 or 7 night cruise? Can you see what I’m getting at? Princess need to clarify all these anomalies me thinks

It is as stated - 2 per cruise. Good value on a 4 night? Maybe. Not so much on a world cruise.

Edited by Torfamm

8 hours ago, damiross said:

I ran the figures for my 5 day cruise.  I don't drink.  I get Wi-Fi at half price (should be free but that's another story).  I have already prepaid the gratuities.

The bottom line? Standard fare, port extortions, pre-paid Wi-Fi, gratuities, and the soda package comes to $70 less for the cruise than using the Plus program.

That’s an easy answer. For you it would all be about coffee, water and mocktails. I’m sure lots of people would spend $14 a day on those items so Plus still might be a good deal.  

If I drink 1 specialty coffee, 1 bottled water, 1 cocktail, and 1 glass of wine daily, $14 a day for beverages is a great deal.

Edited by Torfamm
Typo

10 hours ago, dog said:

Can you book through another country? Why?

We travel sometimes with our American pals and depending on the best price and also considering the £$ exchange rate, we book in the best country at the time

3 hours ago, peterhof said:

We travel sometimes with our American pals and depending on the best price and also considering the £$ exchange rate, we book in the best country at the time

So you have found a solution that suits you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterhof said:

Just received this from my TA

Good Afternoon,

Your Princess plus package cost was locked in at the time of booking. So if Princess are increasing the price for this package, it won't affect you.

Thanks, ok for us, I watched a travel agent YouTube video.  She got an annoucment from Princess.  They are not grandfathering anyone in as far as the new add ons go,  not getting the fancy desserts, exercise classes etc.  You will have to upgrade to the new price if you want those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, peterhof said:

I discussed this with my TA this morning when I had to call to make some other changes.  The TA told me Princess notified them that whoever has booked the beverage package at the previous pricing will receive what was included in the package at the time of booking.  So you will get to keep the pricing, but you would not get the new deserts and whatever other changes they made unless you pay to upgrade to that program.

Edited by malba2366
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

Thanks, ok for us, I watched a travel agent YouTube video.  She got an annoucment from Princess.  They are not grandfathering anyone in as far as the new add ons go,  not getting the fancy desserts, exercise classes etc.  You will have to upgrade to the new price if you want those.

That’s not what my TA says - anyhow, if that’s the case I want those drinks that are now higher than $12 reinstated. Of course everyone will get the same package! Could you imagine the mayhem that would ensue if they didn’t - will the medallions have “pre Dec 12th” and “after 12th “ designations attached - I THINK NOT

6 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

I discussed this with my TA this morning when I had to call to make some other changes.  The TA told me Princess notified them that whoever has booked the beverage package at the previous pricing will receive what was included in the package at the time of booking.  So you will get to keep the pricing, but you would not get the new deserts and whatever other changes they made unless you pay to upgrade to that program.

That’s absurd - can you imagine the administrational nightmare that would cause?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterhof said:

That’s not what my TA says - anyhow, if that’s the case I want those drinks that are now higher than $12 reinstated. Of course everyone will get the same package! Could you imagine the mayhem that would ensue if they didn’t - will the medallions have “pre Dec 12th” and “after 12th “ designations attached - I THINK NOT

Not sure what you are looking for....you paid for a package that includes drinks of $12 or less, why would you expect to receive drinks that cost more than $12 for free under that package.  They can easily code the medallions with the packages, and when you scan them to "pay" for the drink or desert and determine if it is included or at an additional charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Have you tried prepaying Crew Appreciation?
I have a cruise departing August 9, 2023 in Alaska with Sapphire,
I just tried to pay Crew Appreciation.. it gives me an error
5378: Your credit card payment was declined (card no: #). Please verify your card number, address and that you have sufficient funds.
try 2 credit cards same error...
I then tried to buy bottles of water ... all ok, bottles purchased .... same credit card....
tried again with the Crew Appreciation. .. nothing .. error ....
Princess is playing the little game that you can't buy first so you pay more later.... nice !!
Another thing.. there is no longer the possibility to buy medallion net
at the moment, the option has disappeared from the cruise personalizer......