First time to Belize..not doing a tour..any suggestions

Heathers2298

We will be on Carnival Pride cruise Dec 4th.  I have not been on a cruise for thirty years (New England Cruise).  So I guess I would be considered a semi first timer.  We have only one tour scheduled and was wondering about information about local tours not thru the cruise.  Anything you could recommend would be appreciated.  If I am on the wrong thread, I am sorry....new to this. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been to this port several times and have done a few things,  not an expert by any means.  and probably wrong but thought i'd update this.

Belize is a tender port,  unless you are on a ship tour you will be an least an hour getting off,  in general.  Then you have a tender to the ship with takes about another 30 minutes.  You arrive and you are in a 3rd world country and have a medium sized fenced in port that you can shop around in and find a few bars,  some along the front and some hidden in the back.  You are free to get out and walk around and i have heard there are a couple of things to do,  lighthouse to the right and more downtown to the left,  but walk around at your own risk,  i felt safe but to each his own.

Vendors,  Belize has a lot of local vendors once you reach the pier that will be via'ing for your money and most are good.  In general the only things to do in a fairly short time is Altun Ha,  (pretty cool myan ruin about a 30 minute drive and literally the hottest i have been in my entire life)  and a city tour (options include mini train thing to rum or food tasting)     There are a couple of mini islands (caye's)  where you can sit in the sun or snorkel.     Other than that everything else is at least an hour away from the ship.  Once again to your comfort level.  Alot of people would never consider that unless going with a ship tour so that you are guarenteed to get back safely,  although i have found the venders to offer much better service and experience for 2/3rds the money and when we did butt's up we passed the carnival bus on the way back like it was sitting still. lol          If nothing else, take the tender and walk around and just relax that day if you don't want to stress out.   (just my opinion)

Or if you just want to experience something differnt,  you can grab a Altun Ha Tour for about half you time there and do soemthing and you can haggle a little.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 8:18 PM, merinski said:

What about snorkeling ? NO SHARKS though... first time to Belize too!

Goff's Caye. 

This is the best tour on Belize. Snorkeling is world class. 

Resorts for a Day.com 

All kinds of fish everywhere. Water crystal clear. Walk for days in 3 feet of water on the flats. You'll go back.

8 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Goff's Caye. 

This is the best tour on Belize. Snorkeling is world class. 

Resorts for a Day.com 

All kinds of fish everywhere. Water crystal clear. Walk for days in 3 feet of water on the flats. You'll go back.

how come when i go to their site they do not list Belize as a destination?????

1 hour ago, Jgarriso said:

how come when i go to their site they do not list Belize as a destination?????

They may have taken Belize off because Goff's Caye was closed last year. I can't imagine Resorts for a Day being the only tour operator that sells tours to Goff's Caye. I've done this tour twice other than being short in time it's one of the best tours I've ever taken. 

Our CC group had a blast looking forward to going back. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been to Belize several times.  This is one port that begs for a tour.  Not much in port unless you want to go outside the tourist village and get hounded by locals.  You can book tours through locals at the port.  We have done Bannister Island, cave tubing and Caye Caulker.  Cave tubing is a blast and should be done at least once.  Caye Caulker is gorgeous with nice beaches and good snorkeling.  We did a tour with Star Tours that took us out to the reef to snorkel and then to a sand bar to swim and feed rays.  Don't know if Star is still in business.  It has been several years since we used them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I took the ferry to Caye Caulker and rented a golf cart for the day. Lovely water. Ate and drank. This was my 15th time to Belize (at least), so recommend a private tour if you haven't been there before.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:40 PM, blue_water said:

We like to take the water taxi to Caye Caulker. Neat island to tour, then spend time relaxing with the view of The Split from the Lazy Lizard..,

Please provide more details to this option.

Ferry ride - how long and cost?

Renting golf cart - supplier and cost?

Things to do besides shopping. Tours or beaches?

TY for any assistance 🙂 

53 minutes ago, PJnVA said:

Please provide more details to this option.

Ferry ride - how long and cost?

Renting golf cart - supplier and cost?

Things to do besides shopping. Tours or beaches?

TY for any assistance 🙂 

You can see the schedule/fares here -

https://belizewatertaxi.com/book-now/?wg=1&t=2&as=3&ds=4&dd=01%2F11%2F2024&rd=01%2F11%2F2024&tfa=1&tfc=0

We didn’t rent a golf cart, just took a cart taxi to the Split and back, cost is negligible.

you can google other options for CC…

• Like 1

Last cruise , way back in 2012 we stopped in Belize. Was our favorite stop. We just wandered around town, had some beers with some locals, found a little open air cafe serving gibnut/paca with rice. Run down looking area but wonderful wonderful people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KarlK said:

Last cruise , way back in 2012 we stopped in Belize. Was our favorite stop. We just wandered around town, had some beers with some locals, found a little open air cafe serving gibnut/paca with rice. Run down looking area but wonderful wonderful people.

Yes well stated KarlK. We first cruised in ‘01, and over our 9 cruises, the many ensuing land vacations to those places we had to cruised to, along with others, and wintering in Mexico the last 8, the wonderful people of these places are what meant so much to us… Belize, Central America and Mexico - the people are just so genuine and caring, and welcoming to us in so many ways. 
Just walking the streets of Belize we met these people…

Edited by blue_water

• 2 months later...

If you don't have any plans then try these:
 - Discover Altun Ha Mayan Ruins

- Go Cave Tubing

- Snorkel with Sharks and Stingrays

- Visit Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary

I'm pretty much sure these visits will make your stay memorable.