Price Rises: Gratuities, Wifi, Medallion Shipping 🤑💰

Jadn13

I look at these changes slightly differently.  The hospitality industry was devastated by the pandemic.  It is not just cruiselines but hotel prices are way up, flights are way up and even restaurant prices are up.  I agree it is not the same product as before but the pendulum while find its sweet spot at some point. I can roll with it for a bit and appreciate that I am able to travel, while the experience may be slightly different, I remain grateful.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

If you've already bought the plus pkg for your upcoming cruises then you get everything in the same way

No need to pre pay anything!

Are you sure?

We booked with  the old Princess Plus.  I don't care about the desserts or the fitness classes or whether I get the Medallion shipped to me.

But, in the past , when gratuities were raised, having a package grandfathered in what we paid. The language on this is so ambiguous that I don't know.

The note on the bottom of the email says

^The new Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages will be subject to full updated terms, conditions, and restrictions, which will be available here ❯ by December 14, 2022 (the terms on such site before the update apply to the original Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages for which you booked). If you would like to upgrade to the new Princess Plus or Princess Premier package for voyages sailing February 20, 2023 and onward, you can visit Cruise Personalizer ❯ after December 14, and pay the difference in price. By upgrading, you must agree to the updated terms, conditions, and restrictions.

Guests have up until 11:59 pm PT December 13, 2022 to pre-pay at current rates. Excludes new programs launching December 13, 2022, at new rates.

Edited by chamima

Even after describing the new pkgs they REPEAT that you can keep your old pkg

I didn't even read the fine print at the bottom because they told me 2 times in the email that I can keep my old pkg.

That makes sense since it would be very strange to have a cruise line magically change my price after I have booked

They can change the price for people who haven't booked yet but they cannot change my price once I've booked

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

The very first thing they say in the email us that you can KEEP your pkg at the old price!!

And then they say

29 minutes ago, chamima said:

Guests have up until 11:59 pm PT December 13, 2022 to pre-pay at current rates. Excludes new programs launching December 13, 2022, at new rates.

So if I just  have a deposit on that future cruise does that constitute pre-paying? Or do we have to pre-pay a part or the whole of the cruise?

We've been cruising for a long, long time and I don't ever remember language that was so unclear.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailaweigh said:

Does anyone know how the tips are divided up? Specifically, how much of it does the Cabin Steward and dining room waiters get? We usually give them a little extra, so with the increase, we plan to lessen or forgo that, unless they did something really special for us.

Sue

With the "crew appreciation" now being shared across the fleet, your individual contribution to your cabin steward is about 1 cent a day and the same to your waiter. And of course, you are contributing that penny to each of the other eligible staff on the ship and across the fleet.

When you give them a little extra for good service, they get to keep all of that extra.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chamima said:

And then they say

So if I just  have a deposit on that future cruise does that constitute pre-paying? Or do we have to pre-pay a part or the whole of the cruise?

We've been cruising for a long, long time and I don't ever remember language that was so unclear.

If you have booked the cruise with the Plus or Premier package, that is the price you will pay and there is no need to pay anything extra since the gratuities are part of the price you agreed to pay.

Only those who booked at the standard rate need to decide whether or not to pay the old gratuity rate now or pay the increased rate when on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, chamima said:

Are you sure?

We booked with  the old Princess Plus.  I don't care about the desserts or the fitness classes or whether I get the Medallion shipped to me.

But, in the past , when gratuities were raised, having a package grandfathered in what we paid. The language on this is so ambiguous that I don't know.

4 minutes ago, chamima said:

I don't know what is unclear or what is so confusing.  But if it helps, let's look at this from the back end.  Let's say that you purchased a cruise with the Plus Package and your all-in price is $2700.  You made a deposit of $500 and you have $2200 left to pay.  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU EVER GO TO YOUR PERSONALIZER AFTER 12/14 AND FIND THAT THE NEW BALANCE IS A PENNY HIGHER THAN $2200.  THEY CANNOT DO THAT.  But let's say that you did not pay for a package and have not yet pre-paid gratuities.  After 12/14 the new gratuity amount will be the higher amount.  You have not yet paid it, so it is subject to change.  And if you did pay it (let's say at the $15.50 per person per day rate), you are NOT GOING TO BE ASSESSED ANOTHER $1.50 PER PERSON PER DAY.    This isn't complicated and people are either making more out of it than is necessary, or have no basic understanding of contract law which includes the requirements of an offer, acceptance and consideration.  Yes, it is embedded in fine print, but it clearly says: "(the terms on such site before the update apply to the original Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages for which you booked.)"  That means, in no uncertain terms, that the terms that were posted on the website and were in effect on the date you booked carry through and stay with you no matter what.  As for free shipping of Medallions, if that was an advertised and promised feature under the terms and conditions when you booked, then you get to keep that.  But honestly, I don't recall ever seeing that as a paid-for "feature" so if it wasn't, then they can change that at any time.  But the bottom line is that EVERYTHING THAT WAS BUNDLED TOGETHER IN YOUR PACKAGE ON THE DAY YOU PUT DOWN YOUR DEPOSIT IS YOURS TO KEEP AND THEY CANNOT AND WILL NOT TAKE ANY OF THAT AWAY FROM YOU.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

My personal belief is that the pandemic has killed cruising.

Royal Caribbean said this Black Friday was the cruise line's single largest booking day in its 53-year history, which marked the third time the record was broken in 2022 and the peak of what is now the brand's highest volume booking week.

NCL said about the same.

Carnival Cruise Line got a jumpstart on what it hopes will be a busy 2023 cruise season as it posted a record Cyber Monday booking day yesterday that was 50 percent above volume for Cyber Monday 2019.

The pandemic has not killed cruising.

However current Princess management is doing their best to reduce demand for the Princess product.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don't know what is unclear or what is so confusing.  But if it helps, let's look at this from the back end.  Let's say that you purchased a cruise with the Plus Package and your all-in price is $2700.  You made a deposit of $500 and you have $2200 left to pay.  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU EVER GO TO YOUR PERSONALIZER AFTER 12/14 AND FIND THAT THE NEW BALANCE IS A PENNY HIGHER THAN $2200.  THEY CANNOT DO THAT.  But let's say that you did not pay for a package and have not yet pre-paid gratuities.  After 12/14 the new gratuity amount will be the higher amount.  You have not yet paid it, so it is subject to change.  And if you did pay it (let's say at the $15.50 per person per day rate), you are NOT GOING TO BE ASSESSED ANOTHER $1.50 PER PERSON PER DAY.    This isn't complicated and people are either making more out of it than is necessary, or have no basic understanding of contract law which includes the requirements of an offer, acceptance and consideration.  Yes, it is embedded in fine print, but it clearly says: "(the terms on such site before the update apply to the original Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages for which you booked.)"  That means, in no uncertain terms, that the terms that were posted on the website and were in effect on the date you booked carry through and stay with you no matter what.  As for free shipping of Medallions, if that was an advertised and promised feature under the terms and conditions when you booked, then you get to keep that.  But honestly, I don't recall ever seeing that as a paid-for "feature" so if it wasn't, then they can change that at any time.  But the bottom line is that EVERYTHING THAT WAS BUNDLED TOGETHER IN YOUR PACKAGE ON THE DAY YOU PUT DOWN YOUR DEPOSIT IS YOURS TO KEEP AND THEY CANNOT AND WILL NOT TAKE ANY OF THAT AWAY FROM YOU.

Thank you for the explanation. We just made our final payment last week as it was due, so we believed that it was being handled as you described. 

One thing that isn't entirely clear is do the new additions (desserts, gym classes) grandfather into the old plans or not. I suspect not, but the increased gratuities apparently do, so maybe the desserts do as well? Not a big deal if they don't, but would be nice to know. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

Royal Caribbean said this Black Friday was the cruise line's single largest booking day in its 53-year history, which marked the third time the record was broken in 2022 and the peak of what is now the brand's highest volume booking week.

NCL said about the same.

Carnival Cruise Line got a jumpstart on what it hopes will be a busy 2023 cruise season as it posted a record Cyber Monday booking day yesterday that was 50 percent above volume for Cyber Monday 2019.

This is true across the travel industry.  For all the whining about the economy and gas prices, people are finding the disposable income to travel, cruises or otherwise.  National Park reservations are selling out months in advance.  Airports are overflowing.  Cruise bookings are at record pace.  Hotels are filled.  Covid did not kill travel.  To the contrary.  It created an unprecedented demand.  What the end of WWII did to maternity wards, the "end" (or tolerance of) Covid is doing to travel bookings.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

One thing that isn't entirely clear is do the new additions (desserts, gym classes) grandfather into the old plans or not.

I do not understand how that can be unclear given the blast email that went out yesterday.  It starts out with:

"You'll be able to upgrade to the new or keep the old at the current price"

Query why I would ever want to pay to upgrade if they were going to grandfather me in to the new additions?   Clear as day, if I want the new additions, I have to call on or after 12/14 and upgrade for $10 per day. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4

Am I understanding this right?  If I want to keep the package I have now, I don’t have to do anything?  My question is and maybe I am missing something, but why would I pay more for the new package?  I am already getting wifi, all drinks up to 12.00 and signed up for my medallion to be mailed

1 minute ago, fleeflicker said:

Am I understanding this right?  If I want to keep the package I have now, I don’t have to do anything?  My question is and maybe I am missing something, but why would I pay more for the new package?  I am already getting wifi, all drinks up to 12.00 and signed up for my medallion to be mailed

You are understanding this right.  The only reason to pay to upgrade is if you think that the new desserts and a couple of gym classes are worth $70 more on a 7 day cruise.  $100 more on a 10 day cruise.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I was about to post a similar response to @chamima, but you have done a great job laying out the situation.  I agree that the information is not confusing at all in terms of the transition to new Plus/Premier packages and pricing.

It may be that they have not cleared up what is going to happen with Medallion orders to home addresses for future voyages.  This was never part of a package as it was simply a promotional thing that they never expanded outside the US.  Now we can order with a shipping charge of $10 US (not sure if that includes Canada or not).  They could certainly slim down the packaging to make it less bulk and weight and cut the cost no doubt.  I will continue to use a port pickup.  We had it that way in Europe (Italy) and it was a breeze.  Probably won't make much difference in the PE terminals either.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

NCL said about the same.

However current Princess management is doing their best to reduce demand for the Princess product.

If I could, I would have given this post 3 hearts at least.

21 minutes ago, caribill said:

From the article:  "It's also possible, albeit not that likely, that since Starlink costs the cruise lines less than its previous service, the cruise line holds prices steady, raising profits while giving customers a better product at the original price.".

Wouldn't that have been nice?  Instead, there has been a degradation in Princess' internet at sea and no indication of an improvement plan.

• Like 2

I am currently on with Princess and they are saying their systems shows that if you already have the princess plus and placed your order for the medallion for a future cruise after the Feb date they will charge you $10 for the shipping.  I am asking to speak to a manager....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I am currently on with Princess and they are saying their systems shows that if you already have the princess plus and placed your order for the medallion for a future cruise after the Feb date they will charge you $10 for the shipping.  I am asking to speak to a manager....

Thanks for trying to verify this question.  I can see a bunch of angry passengers who are expecting their order but not expecting a $10 collection fee.  

I, for one, don't like changes.  Is it my imagination or has Princess been tossing out changes willy nilly the past year?  

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I do not understand how that can be unclear given the blast email that went out yesterday.  It starts out with:

"You'll be able to upgrade to the new or keep the old at the current price"

Query why I would ever want to pay to upgrade if they were going to grandfather me in to the new additions?   Clear as day, if I want the new additions, I have to call on or after 12/14 and upgrade for $10 per day. 

No need to shout!! Sorry to get you so riled up! 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It may be that they have not cleared up what is going to happen with Medallion orders to home addresses for future voyages.

I agree.  But I don't recall this ever being an advertised and paid-for feature of a package.  I have sailed with Medallions both with and without packages and gotten them mailed to be each time for free.  But I think this was a "courtesy" and not a feature.  As a courtesy, they can revoke it at any time.  And honestly, given the elaborate packaging, it is a bit irrational to expect this to be mailed around the country for free.  Is $10 the right number?  I don't know.  Is this $10 per order (meaning 1, 2, 3 or 4 Medallions in the order), or is it $10 per person.  The first would not phase me at all.  We sail as a party of three most of the time, and that would be $3.33 per person.  But $30 for the three of us would be excessive.  

• Like 2