We’ve put our money where our mouth is!

Selbourne

We still have two future cruises with P&O that have been booked for ages (Iona and Ventura, both 2023) but, for various reasons, we haven’t felt inclined to book any more until we have tried the ‘post Covid’ P&O with the well reported cutbacks. Today we have bitten the bullet and booked our first ‘non- P&O’ cruise - 2 weeks on the new Cunard ship Queen Anne in 2024. We have booked Britannia Club, as we like the sound of our own dedicated table for two in a smaller restaurant that we can use whenever we like, without reservation (as it’s for our exclusive use) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The menu is also slightly enhanced from the MDR’s. It’s pricey (about the same as we’ve paid for a suite on P&O) but we will be interested to compare and contrast. We are also thinking of booking a Saga cruise when the next batch are released for the same reason. Even more expensive, but everything is included and reviews seem to be universally excellent. 

I guess that one of two things will happen. We will either love them and ditch P&O, or we may feel that they are not worth the extra cost and that whilst the ‘new’ P&O may not be as much to our liking as the one of yesteryear, we can live with it due to how much cheaper it is! Of course, a third option may be a mix and match. Time will tell. 

• Like 11

It's interesting that you have chosen Queen Anne. Based on the information that has been released so far a lot of regular Cunarders are worried that it will be too much of a departure from the regular queens and the experience will be quite different. I think, like P&O, they are trying to evolve the brand to attract a larger group and the Queen Anne could turn out to be the Iona of the fleet and offer something different.

12 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

You will love it. The Club restaurant on Queen Anne is a dedicated restaurant like QE rather than just an area of the MDR on Queen Mary. It works really well and gives the advantages of club with the flexibility of freedom dining.

Thanks. That’s good to know and why we were attracted to it. I’ve asked a few questions about it over on the Cunard board and replies have led me to believe that we have made a wise choice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

It's interesting that you have chosen Queen Anne. Based on the information that has been released so far a lot of regular Cunarders are worried that it will be too much of a departure from the regular queens and the experience will be quite different. I think, like P&O, they are trying to evolve the brand to attract a larger group and the Queen Anne could turn out to be the Iona of the fleet and offer something different.

As with all our cruises, the choice was based solely upon the itinerary and not the ship. Our only exception to that has been with Arcadia. She has some great itineraries, but is the only P&O ship that we didn’t like, so we won’t book her again. 

Whilst we might be described as ‘traditional cruisers’, we aren’t in the group that only likes the small ships. Having been on all the P&O ships bar Iona (which we rectify next year) our two favourites are Aurora and Britannia. We have experienced our best cruise itineraries on Aurora, but the cabins, restaurants and general facilities are far better on Britannia. Also, with my wife being a full time wheelchair user, the newer the ship the better the accessibility features (cabins and public areas). 

I have detected some negativity to Queen Anne on the Cunard board, but we won’t have the knowledge of the ‘old’ Cunard to compare it to. It’s also Ventura size, so about half the passenger numbers that we are likely to experience on Iona next August, so a very different beast. It’s also extremely expensive compared to P&O (the cruise we have booked certainly is), so I think it will, by definition, attract a different market segment to that which P&O is now actively targeting. Finally, by paying to upgrade to Britannia Club and dining in a smaller restaurant with extra menu items to the MDR and special touches, it will hopefully feel a little bit special. But we shall see! If it’s not worth the money we won’t return!

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

I wouldn't disagree. Its very much the future vision of a Cunard Queen and will probably extract custom from P&O/Princess.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

As with all our cruises, the choice was based solely upon the itinerary and not the ship. Our only exception to that has been with Arcadia. She has some great itineraries, but is the only P&O ship that we didn’t like, so we won’t book her again. 

Whilst we might be described as ‘traditional cruisers’, we aren’t in the group that only likes the small ships. Having been on all the P&O ships bar Iona (which we rectify next year) our two favourites are Aurora and Britannia. We have experienced our best cruise itineraries on Aurora, but the cabins, restaurants and general facilities are far better on Britannia. Also, with my wife being a full time wheelchair user, the newer the ship the better the accessibility features (cabins and public areas). 

I have detected some negativity to Queen Anne on the Cunard board, but we won’t have the knowledge of the ‘old’ Cunard to compare it to. It’s also Ventura size, so about half the passenger numbers that we are likely to experience on Iona next August, so a very different beast. It’s also extremely expensive compared to P&O (the cruise we have booked certainly is), so I think it will, by definition, attract a different market segment to that which P&O is now actively targeting. Finally, by paying to upgrade to Britannia Club and dining in a smaller restaurant with extra menu items to the MDR and special touches, it will hopefully feel a little bit special. But we shall see! If it’s not worth the money we won’t return!

That is why I love Saga so much. As a rollator user, the ships are easy access with automatic deck doors but Artemis in size.  Haven’t yet found a suitable itinerary on QA to try her.

6 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

That is why I love Saga so much. As a rollator user, the ships are easy access with automatic deck doors but Artemis in size.  Haven’t yet found a suitable itinerary on QA to try her.

We are very keen to try Saga and, having now secured a cruise with Cunard, they are likely to be our next booking. Itinerary is always the number one deciding factor for us and is one of the several reasons that we haven’t booked P&O for a while. We can only cruise ex U.K. and have done almost all the P&O itineraries, some several times. Consequently, nothing has appealed in the last few releases. 

We have always wanted to do a round U.K. cruise, but I don’t like Dublin, we’ve been to Guernsey countless times and France isn’t in the U.K. so most of the P&O ones haven’t appealed! The Queen Anne cruise does Edinburgh, Invergorden (for Inverness), Kirkwall (Orkneys), two days cruising the West Coast Scottish Isles, Greenock (for Glasgow), Belfast, Liverpool and Cobh (for Cork), so goes to everywhere that we want to go to and nowhere that we don’t! It’s also at the time of year with the longest daylight hours. With my wife being a wheelchair user, the fact that only one port is a tender port is great for us (and that’s Edinburgh, where we spent a few days just a few years ago). We weren’t worried which Cunard ship it was, but it will be nice to try a brand new one, as long as her launch isn’t delayed any further!

• Like 3

I prefer Cunard over P&O, our last one was on QE in January. Just normal cattle class in Britannia for us but service and food are very good. If we could afford it I would sail more with Cunard. I would factor in the cost of drinks, plus the service charge , as that might make it nearer to Saga in price.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I am sure that you will find it very special. We have done all 3 Queens and many P&O ships and we like both lines but in different ways. I was just trying to point out that it is still unknown if Queen Anne will turn out to be a true Cunard experience (which is why I guess you are trying them) and if, by any chance, you don't enjoy it not to instantly write off the whole fleet based on 1 ship. You probably will not be the type to do this based on your comments on research etc.. but others might.

• Like 1

I'm  sure you'll enjoy it.

Whether you'll find it value for money compared to P&O only you can decide. We are still experimenting. 

First cruise was Aurora years ago , which got us into cruising.

Next cruises were Cunard, I found the atmosphere to be very similiar to Aurora,  but enjoyed the fixed dining and wider menu and grills deck, but P&O entertainment better.

Then came covid and cancelled  Arcadia and QM2 and QV.

Tried Saga and loved it, rooms food and service outstanding,  have booked again for next year along with another couple of Cunards (FCC). I think if it wasnt for FCC  Saga would definitely  have the edge.

For 2024 have booked and aft suite on Arvia with huge balcony ,  which will be far cheaper than your Brittania club on Cunard, plan is for extensive use of speciality restaurants  every night . Still a very significant saving relative to Cunard. If this doesnt work out may be by by P&O. 

• Like 1

My last Cunard cruise was the QE11 in the Britannia Restaurant, with your own table and dine when you want. The only negative was on a 14 night cruise we had 12 formal nights, which was silly.

The Queen Anne looks interesting but as has already been discussed, when you add on drinks and grats, Saga would be a serious option. I will probably wait until reviews are posted.

49 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I'm  sure you'll enjoy it.

Whether you'll find it value for money compared to P&O only you can decide. We are still experimenting. 

First cruise was Aurora years ago , which got us into cruising.

Next cruises were Cunard, I found the atmosphere to be very similiar to Aurora,  but enjoyed the fixed dining and wider menu and grills deck, but P&O entertainment better.

Then came covid and cancelled  Arcadia and QM2 and QV.

Tried Saga and loved it, rooms food and service outstanding,  have booked again for next year along with another couple of Cunards (FCC). I think if it wasnt for FCC  Saga would definitely  have the edge.

For 2024 have booked and aft suite on Arvia with huge balcony ,  which will be far cheaper than your Brittania club on Cunard, plan is for extensive use of speciality restaurants  every night . Still a very significant saving relative to Cunard. If this doesnt work out may be by by P&O. 

We have had aft suites on Britannia, Ventura and Arcadia. We were going to book one on Iona, but we don’t like the fact that they are set back with an outside bar (source of noise) and huge canopy underneath, and the sole aft accessible suite is quite low down. So we booked a mid ships Deluxe balcony cabin (on the ‘hump’) instead with nothing underneath us. As stated, I’m fully aware that we could have had a suite on P&O for the same price, but the whole point is that we want to experience other cruise lines as we have fallen slightly out of love with P&O. Maybe our Iona and Ventura cruises next year may restore some confidence? We shall see. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

My last Cunard cruise was the QE11 in the Britannia Restaurant, with your own table and dine when you want. The only negative was on a 14 night cruise we had 12 formal nights, which was silly.

The Queen Anne looks interesting but as has already been discussed, when you add on drinks and grats, Saga would be a serious option. I will probably wait until reviews are posted.

We are likely to book a Saga cruise as well. Their currently advertised itineraries didn’t appeal as much, so we will keep an eye on future releases. 

Unless Cunard has altered significantly since the pandemic, I have a feeling you will very much enjoy it. I've not sailed Cunard since 2016 but felt then that they were very much like P&O of 10 to 15 years ago...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Unless Cunard has altered significantly since the pandemic, I have a feeling you will very much enjoy it. I've not sailed Cunard since 2016 but felt then that they were very much like P&O of 10 to 15 years ago...

Thanks Andrew. Close friends of ours who have identical tastes have been on both lines, multiple times, during and since the pandemic. Their view is that they prefer the cruise experience even standard ‘Britannia’ class on Cunard to being in a Suite with P&O. Interestingly, P&O don’t have an equivalent of Britannia Club (that we have booked) and we very much like the sound of our own table for 2 in a smaller MDR that is for our exclusive use for the entire cruise (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at whatever time we like, with no need to book or get pagers. You also get the full MDR menu plus some additional a’la carte choices at dinner, with touches such as dishes flambéed at the table, and that’s every day of the cruise. We shall have to see what we make of it, but on our last 3 or 4 P&O cruises we felt that the MDR food had deteriorated (with the exception of Gala nights) and that was before the latest cutbacks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Andrew. Close friends of ours who have identical tastes have been on both lines, multiple times, during and since the pandemic. Their view is that they prefer the cruise experience even standard ‘Britannia’ class on Cunard to being in a Suite with P&O. Interestingly, P&O don’t have an equivalent of Britannia Club (that we have booked) and we very much like the sound of our own table for 2 in a smaller MDR that is for our exclusive use for the entire cruise (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at whatever time we like, with no need to book or get pagers. You also get the full MDR menu plus some additional a’la carte choices at dinner, with touches such as dishes flambéed at the table, and that’s every day of the cruise. We shall have to see what we make of it, but on our last 3 or 4 P&O cruises we felt that the MDR food had deteriorated (with the exception of Gala nights) and that was before the latest cutbacks. 

I was on Aurora in September and thought food quality was generally okay but there was a huge amount of repeated dishes and the choice on the menu (for me) considerably diminished. I am booked on her for next Summer again and hope that things have improved by then...

Queen Anne doesn't really appeal to me and Queen Victoria is doing a lot of fly-cruises in 2024...

Edited by Britboys
Addition
  • Like 1

You have made an excellent choice and will love Britannia Club. Whilst the cabin is the same as standard balconies the restaurant is excellent and feels very special. Cunard is a definite step up from P&O, but there again so is the price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stu UK said:

You have made an excellent choice and will love Britannia Club. Whilst the cabin is the same as standard balconies the restaurant is excellent and feels very special. Cunard is a definite step up from P&O, but there again so is the price. 

Thanks. When discussing the changes that we have witnessed on P&O over the past 10 years or so (declining quality of experience, but offset by lower prices), I have often said that we would happily pay more for a better experience. That’s why I’ve titled this thread as ‘putting our money where our mouth is’. As you say, Cunard is a definite step up in price from P&O, but several people that we know (who use both lines) have assured us that it’s also a step up in quality (and you feel the same). We are definitely at a stage in life where we prioritise quality over quantity. We don’t want to do as many cruises as we used to. One advantage of the past few years has been that we have discovered that there are other holidays that we can do that we enjoy as much as, or even more than, cruises. 

You are quite right that cabin sizes in Britannia Club are the same size as standard Britannia cabins. The main advantage for us is the enhanced dining experience, although the cabins are in the best locations after the grill classes. One advantage of having to have an accessible cabin is that we get a balcony cabin that is 50% bigger at no extra cost. That’s why we stopped using Suites when my wife’s condition deteriorated to the point that we couldn’t cruise without an accessible cabin, as the main advantage of a suite (the extra space) was negated. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Stu UK said:

We find that the extra price compared to P&O is worth it.  Our only problem with Cunard is the lack of round trips from Southampton because my husband cannot fly due to a health problem that is affected by the pressure in the aircraft cabins.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We find that the extra price compared to P&O is worth it.  Our only problem with Cunard is the lack of round trips from Southampton because my husband cannot fly due to a health problem that is affected by the pressure in the aircraft cabins.

My wife can’t fly either, due to her disability, so we have the same limitations. Thankfully we found a perfect itinerary for us with Cunard this time.