Wi Fi Calling?..

cruisegirl1976

35 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

Yes carrier based WiFi calling is blocked. But you can call with apps. On the Panorama 2 weeks ago I did an audio call and a video call via Snapchat with my daughter back home when an emergency popped up. It worked just fine. 

Well that sucks.. my father has no clue what whatsapp or snapchat is .. lol.. nor does he want to.. so have to think of another way to communicate with him.

36 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Well that sucks.. my father has no clue what whatsapp or snapchat is .. lol.. nor does he want to.. so have to think of another way to communicate with him.

All he needs is the app on his phone. You answer the incoming call just like any other incoming call. With my mom I just downloaded the app on her phone ahead of time then called her just to try it out. She answered right away and didn’t even know I was calling via an app. You might try this out with your father and see if it works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

All he needs is the app on his phone. You answer the incoming call just like any other incoming call. With my mom I just downloaded the app on her phone ahead of time then called her just to try it out. She answered right away and didn’t even know I was calling via an app. You might try this out with your father and see if it works. 

Great .. thanks.. I will try it with him.

This topic came up in the Royal Caribbean forum.  Carnival may be the only cruise line that port-blocks Wi-Fi calling, where it is wi-fi at your end on the ship, eventually goes to the telco switch and out to the world as a conventional phone call.   Royal Caribbean, for example allows wi-fi calling.  

The possible reason given for Carnival blocking access is that they have an agreement with Cellular At Sea.  

A pity; when my phone rang in the buffet restaurant on Royal with a call from home, I felt like a king.  😄   

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

On the Carnival Mardi Gras typing this now. 1st Carnival cruise in 22 years for me and my last forever.  No wi fi calling  is a deal breaker  for me. Royal Caribbean  is head and shoulders  above this line, user friendly, cabins and cuisine much better same price  😀 

• Like 2