Celebrity Luggage allowance?

PineappleTraveler

I'm sure this is easy to find normally, but the search page and half of the links on the Celebrity website are down for me. Is the ship similar to an airplane for luggage? Can I bring a "checked" bag, Carry-on, and a handbag? Is there a 50lb limit on that checked bag? Are there charges to check luggage?

I was able to find a list of what not-to-pack, but haven't seen a baggage quantity/size anywhere. Thanks!

Celebrity says 90kg (198 pounds). There is an exception for Celebrity Xpedition Class (I don't know what that is).     So, as far as the cruise ship goes, you can pretty much bring as much as you can reasonably carry.

If flights are involved, then the airline' luggage policy will apply.  That might typically be one carryon and one checked at no more than 50 pounds.  This will be spelled out by the airline for your ticket class.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PineappleTraveler said:

Is the ship similar to an airplane for luggage? Can I bring a "checked" bag, Carry-on, and a handbag? Is there a 50lb limit on that checked bag? Are there charges to check luggage?

The ships have similar scanners to the airports. You can bring almost any number of checked bags (ldubs has provided the actual poundage). The 'charges' are only tips to the handlers, which are not required but some pax feel a little grease in the palm keeps their suitcases from ending up in the drink!

Assuming you'll be flying to your embarcation port, anything you can get to said port with, you will be able to take on board. 

Also, belated Welcome to Cruise Critic!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I'm sure this is easy to find normally, but the search page and half of the links on the Celebrity website are down for me. Is the ship similar to an airplane for luggage? Can I bring a "checked" bag, Carry-on, and a handbag? Is there a 50lb limit on that checked bag? Are there charges to check luggage?

I was able to find a list of what not-to-pack, but haven't seen a baggage quantity/size anywhere. Thanks!

Here's the page with the FAQ and luggage restrictions is item 2.5.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ie/booking-conditions

You can have up to 198lbs per guest according to that rule with the exception of Expedition class ships and some some destinations. Especially if going to Galapagos the luggage restrictions are more severe.  In general the cruise lines supposedly follow the same 50 to 70lb per bag rule as the airlines, but it's rarely enforced. All checked luggage will need to fit through the terminal scanners which are pretty much the same as airline scanners. 

• Thanks 1

Actually, it’s the carryon luggage that has to fit through the airline yep scanner.  Checked luggage is scanned after it gets on the ship elsewhere.  They recommend not more than 50# per bag to help the workers and their backs.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reality is that there is no luggage limit.  When you check-in at embarkation nobody is weighing your luggage or counting the pieces.   Depending on your embarkation port there might be limitations on the size of carry-on but never an issue checking luggage (which is done outside the terminal before you go through security.  By the way, once heard an interesting story of a lady who would take the World cruise on the old QE2.  She would book two adjoining cabins, one for herself and the other for her luggage!

But folks who fly to/from cruises do need to be cognizant of airline limitations and cost.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Just for conversation sake, Carnival says two bags per person at no more than 50# each.   Applicable to cruises of 6 days or longer.   I'm kind of agreeing with Hank that probably no one is enforcing that.  Though to be sure, I've never attempted to bring that much luggage.   

Edited by ldubs

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Just for conversation sake, Carnival says two bags per person at no more than 50# each.   Applicable to cruises of 6 days or longer.   I'm kind of agreeing with Hank that probably no one is enforcing that.  Though to be sure, I've never attempted to bring that much luggage.   

Absolutely, no one looks.  As far as carry on, you can schlep on as much as you can carry, lift on to the belt, and get through the scanner.  For checked bags, as long as a porter doesn't throw out his back getting it in the cart, it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

For Alaska cruises, Carnival passengers hands down bring the most luggage.  It isn't unusual to see two large suitcases per traveler, plus a rolling carry-on size suitcase as well.  They also carry on the most 12 packs of soda, and various other sundries.   This is for a 7 day cruise.  Crazy!

• 2 months later...

I too have searched everywhere for specifics about carry on luggage for Celebrity Cruises. Nowhere have I found the acceptable dimensions for a suitcase. Lots about weight but nothing about size limits. I have no idea what the limits are that go through a scanner - can anyone help? Thank you.

1 hour ago, *oceanlvr* said:

I too have searched everywhere for specifics about carry on luggage for Celebrity Cruises. Nowhere have I found the acceptable dimensions for a suitcase. Lots about weight but nothing about size limits. I have no idea what the limits are that go through a scanner - can anyone help? Thank you.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed any checking of a carryon’s weight or dimensions for a Celebrity Cruise boarding. I doubt it’d matter. 

- Joel