Current policy on switching names and docs needed for teen who isn’t mine

GeorgiaMomof4

We are sailing for New Years and my boyfriend’s granddaughter can’t go.  We have found a replacement for her but my PVP is telling me we’re going to have to pay an additional $300 just to switch names!  Personally, I think that’s ridiculous but I know she doesn’t make the rules.  Is there any way to get around that?  I’d be fine with maybe even $100 to change the name and date of birth but $300 seems way excessive.  

Also, what documentation will I need from her parents showing I have permission to take her on this cruise?

Thanks guys, you’re always here to save the day!

I thought the name change fee was $250. But yes, there is a fee.

In terms of documentation, you should have a notarized letter signed by both parents giving you permission to take her out of the country. Plus a letter giving you permission to make medical decisions. 

This is not an official form, I got it from a Googled site----but when we've taken our teen age granddaughters on a cruise we've always had our son and DIL sign this form (whether you want it notarized or not is up to you and them). We've taken this signed form on three cruises and we have never been asked to show it or any type of proof by Carnival or the agents of the islands we're visiting. It does give us reassurance that in the event the teen needed medical care, the parents have okayed us to act on her behalf.

permission.jpg

2 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

This is not an official form, I got it from a Googled site----but when we've taken our teen age granddaughters on a cruise we've always had our son and DIL sign this form (whether you want it notarized or not is up to you and them). We've taken this signed form on three cruises and we have never been asked to show it or any type of proof by Carnival or the agents of the islands we're visiting. It does give us reassurance that in the event the teen needed medical care, the parents have okayed us to act on her behalf.

!

This is perfect!  Thank you!  I love your user name by the way.

I'll give you the advice that has worked or not worked in the past.  You can call the 800 Carnival number and speak with someone there.  Don't get the answer you want, call back.  Rinse.  Repeat.  You may or may not find someone more sympathetic who can waive or reduce the $300 fee.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I'll give you the advice that has worked or not worked in the past.  You can call the 800 Carnival number and speak with someone there.  Don't get the answer you want, call back.  Rinse.  Repeat.  You may or may not find someone more sympathetic who can waive or reduce the $300 fee.

Carnival is like a box of chocolate............... you never know what your gonna get. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:56 PM, Schoifmom said:

This worked!  When I called my PVP the first time, she said they wouldn't waive any fees since they had reinstated pre Covid rules.  Wasn't ready to make the change that day anyway, so when I called back to make the change, I asked again if any of the fees and penalties could be waived (don't know unless you ask).  She told me to hold on and was gone for a few minutes, came back and made the change, asked me to hold again and when she came back she said she had been able to waive ALL the fees! I was so glad!  I really think it depends on what supervisor is on duty and maybe what kind of mood they are in.  Glad I tried a 2nd time!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

This worked!  When I called my PVP the first time, she said they wouldn't waive any fees since they had reinstated pre Covid rules.  Wasn't ready to make the change that day anyway, so when I called back to make the change, I asked again if any of the fees and penalties could be waived (don't know unless you ask).  She told me to hold on and was gone for a few minutes, came back and made the change, asked me to hold again and when she came back she said she had been able to waive ALL the fees! I was so glad!  I really think it depends on what supervisor is on duty and maybe what kind of mood they are in.  Glad I tried a 2nd time!

I'm so glad that things worked out.  Us NGA girls have to stick together 🙂 

• Like 1