Alaska Cruise departing Seattle June 2023

Taykee1

We fly into Seattle 2 days before cruise, I have started to research what to do in Seattle. There seems a lot to do which is great. 

One of the things I have been looking at, is booking the Agrosy Harbour Cruise that takes 1 hour. Do you think this would be worth it or just a waste of money as I may possible just see the same views as we sail out of the harbour on the cruise. Never been to Seattle before so asking for people who may have either done this or sailed out of Seattle for their cruise and could help me out. Thanks and appreciate any feedback. 

1 hour ago, Taykee1 said:

We fly into Seattle 2 days before cruise, I have started to research what to do in Seattle. There seems a lot to do which is great. 

One of the things I have been looking at, is booking the Agrosy Harbour Cruise that takes 1 hour. Do you think this would be worth it or just a waste of money as I may possible just see the same views as we sail out of the harbour on the cruise. Never been to Seattle before so asking for people who may have either done this or sailed out of Seattle for their cruise and could help me out. Thanks and appreciate any feedback. 

It would just be a waste of time.  You'll get great photographs of the Seattle skyline as you sail away.  Also, the weather in Seattle in June can tend to be pretty damp/drizzly to down right rainy.  You may want to factor this into any touring you plan to do.

If you want to get a great view out on the water on the cheap you could always hop a ferry to one of the islands.  Bainbridge Island is a short ride and a fun town to walk around.  

• Like 2

Before you arrive in Seattle, I suggest you look at Groupon for Seattle and surroundings. In the past,there has been an offer for a city pass. If you get a discount on the Argosy boat tours, I think the harbor tour IS worthwhile! Because there is a live speaking guide on the boat, who will tell you many details. I have gone several times with out of town guests and with school field trips.The tour gets close to the cargo container port and also the ship building and repairing portion. A much better view from the water and so helpful (to me anyway) hearing about it. If it isn't a nice day, the bottom deck is undercover.

• Like 1

The industrial views are good and the narration is interesting on the Argosy harbor tour, but for more natural beauty and much lower price, take the Washington State Ferries on the Seattle-Bremerton run and back.  For under $10 adult and $0/kid you get two hours of cruising the Puget Sound, great skyline views, the very real possibility of seeing whales and porpoises, big Navy ships and more.  It’s the best value on the water. 

• Like 4

Or take the Bainbridge island ferry.   Have lunch, shop, walk the waterfront and catch the ferry back.   Fare $9.45 for 19-64, $4.70 seniors, under 19 free.  Fare is from Seattle side, return is free.  Ferry runs hourly, commute time runs can be busy.   

• Like 2

More alternatives...

Argosy also runs a "locks" tour that departs from the central waterfront downtown, then travels north to the Ballard locks (aka Chittendon Locks) that separate Puget Sound (salt) from Lakes Union and Washington (fresh.)  The cruise passes through the locks, then past Fishermen's Terminal at Salmon Bay (where by summer some of the "Deadliest Catch" boats might be moored and for sale as the Bering Sea crab harvest has been canceled again) then into Lake Union.  You'll pass the "Sleepless in Seattle" houseboat, then moor near the south end of Lake Union, where buses will take you back downtown (or you can make your own way - maybe via Seattle Center - Space Needle etc. - or via Amazonia.)  

Another alternative is the West Seattle Water Taxi, which runs from the main ferry terminal (not far from where the Bainbridge and Bremerton ferries sail) over to Seacrest Park in West Seattle.  This 15-minute run ($5.75 one way) is very scenic, and when you get to West Seattle (which is a peninsula that's part of the city) you can walk, bike, kayak or ride a free shuttle bus around Duwamish Head to Alki Beach, a popular sandy beach with terrific views of the Olympic mountains, passing ferries, maybe some seals or even orcas, and our own wee Statue of Liberty.  

Right on the pier in West Seattle is a cafe, Marination Ma Kai, that offers terrific Hawaiian/Korean fusion food and excellent mai tais, served in their patio with one of the best views of the city there is.  Highly recommended.

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend @Gardyloo 'Ballard Locks' cruise as well, if you wanted to do a Argosy Cruise tour.

Just a FYI,  it looks like you are sailing on Princess, which leaves from Pier 91 which is slightly north of the DT Seattle waterfront.  While you will see the Seattle skyline as you sail away, it will not be as dramatic as if you were on a Washington State Ferry.  If you decide on a ferry ride, I would suggest the 30 minute Bainbridge Island run, with time planned to walk off and explore the shopping/restaurants walking distance from the ferry dock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Have you tried checking out the port forum for Seattle?  I imagine there is discussion there about best things to do in Seattle and well as transportation options.

where is the port forum for Seattle?

I'm a local here, and I've done two Argosy boat tours for work events.  If this is your first time here, it''s not a bad way to learn about the city and the geography. If the history/facts part doesn't interest you, then I agree with the other posters to take the Washington State ferry to Bainbridge. Bainbridge has a town that's in walking distance from the pier, and has a lot of cute shops, wineries and as others have mentioned, the ferry ride is part of the experience.

I've also done the Seattle Underground tour at a work event and while I worried it was going to be boring for having lived here, I (and everyone else) really enjoyed it. It's really cool to see the underground Seattle and the tour guides were fabulous as well.

The Ballard locks are a great place to visit - the gardens you walk through to get to the locks are beautiful (the vividness of the flowers in Spring/Summer here never fail to dazzle me!), and then you can spend the afternoon exploring Ballard- their downtown is filled with breweries (Reuben's is my favorite), shops and restaurants. Pestle Rock is a Northern Thai restaurant that has dishes you don't see usually in US Thai restaurants and is a unique experience. Can't go wrong with Ray's Boathouse on the water for fish. It's a Portland import, but Salt and Straw is a  must try if you haven't been for ice cream.

Skip the "first" Starbucks near Pike Place. It's technically not even the first, and all it is is a tiny storefront that people wait hours for during the peak season. The Reserve Roastery in Capitol Hill, however, is worth a visit if you're a Starbucks fan. Craft cocktails, speciality drinks and merchandise you can't find anywhere else.

The Space Needle is expensive, but with their renovation I feel that it's worth it, especially for first time visitors. The observation deck has been redone to be all glass for unobstructed views (not for the faint hearted!).  For a free version of the skyline, go to Columbia Tower on 5th Ave and take the elevator up to the Sky Bridge. There's a Starbucks up on the 42nd floor that's open to the public that will give you great views on a clear day.

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I too was going to recommend the Bainbridge Island ferry ride and the West Seattle water taxi over to Akai beach - have done these as well as the Ballard Lock cruise on Argosy tours.

Even if you don't take the ride up the Space Needle there is plenty to see and do at Seattle Center which was the site of the 1962 World's Fair and as for getting to Seattle Center take the Monorail from Westlake Mall.

Hope this helps

Dennis

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is Seattle walkable?  Yes and no.  You'll want to look at the tourist attractions you want to take in and then decide if there is lodging nearby.  There is some public transit, but for a metro, Seattle relies mostly on buses.  There is light rail, but it is a mostly north-south route.  And there is the streetcar, but that system is also limited in where it goes and what neighborhoods it travels through.  Google maps will be your friend here in determining where to stay relative to what you want to see.

Nobody here has mentioned the attractions at the Seattle Center.  For anyone coming from as far away as you are, you must visit the Space Needle.  It has just gone through a major remodel and has some glass bottomed floors and the views are spectacular.  They don't have full restaurant that is on the rotating floor, but they do have a lounge in the restaurant space and the floor still rotates.  My wife and I had our 1st anniversary dinner at the former restaurant at the Space Needle, many years ago now.  It was a great experience.

I had a great aunt that used to have a house on Ward St. just north of the Seattle Center in a neighborhood called Queen Ann.  You could stand on her porch, looking south, and stare directly at the Space Needle, and it was huge in the living room window.  Visiting the Space Needle is expensive, but it is probably one of the best observation platforms for viewing all of Seattle, and the surrounding Puget Sound.

Argosy runs fine tours.  I've done both of them at some point in the past 25 years or so.  They do live narration as others have stated.  There's also beverages and snacks for sale on board.  Very touristy.  If you had to choose one, I'd do the Chittendon Locks cruise over the bay.  If you want to see more of the bay or get out of Seattle then the recommendations to take the ferry to Bainbridge is a better use of your money, plus you get to see how real residents of the Puget Sound live.  For some people a daily commute on the ferry from Bainbridge Island or from Bremerton, amongst other places across the Sound, to Seattle is just part of life.

Pike Place Market is worth visiting, but it is highly touristy, has huge crowds most weekends and you can only catch the fish vendors throwing fish to each other occasionally.  Just like the "first" Starbucks, it is overrated.  However near the market is Beecher's Cheese.  Great cheese and dishes made with their product.  You may want to check that out, or at least visit for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1