Getting Restaurant Reservation when My Viking Say that Reservations are Not Available

donaldsc

I logged onto My Viking 10 seconds after my reservation period opened and the site said that "dining reservations are not available at this time".  I kept on checking over several days and kept on seeing the same thing.  I then called Viking customer service to complain and they told me that although no on line spots were available they could give me my 2 reservations over the phone.  Problem solved. Good customer service.  Hope this helps others who are having the same problem that I had.

DON

• Like 2

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I logged onto My Viking 10 seconds after my reservation period opened and the site said that "dining reservations are not available at this time".  I kept on checking over several days and kept on seeing the same thing.  I then called Viking customer service to complain and they told me that although no on line spots were available they could give me my 2 reservations over the phone.  Problem solved. Good customer service.  Hope this helps others who are having the same problem that I had.

DON

Seems the DV rooms are being locked out (read other posts on this forum). I wanted to make reservations for our wedding anniversary so I contacted Viking and the rep told me she would check every day to see if anything opens up but there was nothing else she could do. I've read on this forum that others, like you, have been accommodated. I guess it all depends on the whim of the agent and the luck of the draw. I'm hopeful that we can book once aboard but I know they are limiting the number of tables they are opening up to advanced reservations and this is impacting DV customers. My issue is that If they no longer are allowing DVs to reserve in advance they should change all their promotional material.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I guess it all depends on the whim of the agent and the luck of the draw.

Hang up, count to 60 and call again. Repeat until you get someone who can help you.  Or e-mail tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask for their help (include booking number and phone number).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Hang up, count to 60 and call again. Repeat until you get someone who can help you.  Or e-mail tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask for their help (include booking number and phone number).

Out of the 2 times I contacted tellus@ I received zero help. The first time they didn’t even bother to respond and the second they were or no help. 

I had the same problem, and the chat agent’s response was that we could dine in the Restaurant. This is our first Viking cruise after many on Celebrity, 3 Oceania and 2 Crystal, and it is not an auspicious beginning. Hope things improve once we’re onboard. 

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Just don't panic. Wait till you're on board. It'll be fine.

Again, my issue is all the promotional material states that DVs get “1 guaranteed priority reservation at each alternative restaurant 60 days prior to departure.” This appears to no longer be the case. Don’t “guarantee” something you cannot deliver. For whatever reason, not allowing DVs to book advanced reservations was a decision made by somebody. Staffing shortages, COVID, supply chain issues, whatever,  the reason is unimportant to me and I can accept that. Just don’t make false promises. If you can’t fulfill your “advance reservation guarantee” fine, then remove it from the “perks” listed in the advertising. It is deceptive.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Out of the 2 times I contacted tellus@ I received zero help. The first time they didn’t even bother to respond and the second they were or no help. 

For years, TellUs@ has been my go-to for help and information. It is sad to see that, post hiatus, they have quickly become as ineffective as the chat and call center. Very disappointing to hear the current reports of failed interactions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you can’t fulfill your “advance reservation guarantee” fine, then remove it from the “perks” listed in the advertising. It is deceptive.

Agreed!  If they can't fulfill the guarantee, then it should be removed as perk (not that I want to see it go). It is like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

I had a similar problem trying to book Manfredi’s within minutes of the reservation opening and still getting the not available message. I called and talked to an agent after trying for several days and we told the problem was lack of tables for 2. When I offered to share a table with another party (they did not ask), they then were able to make a reservation for us. 

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Agreed!  If they can't fulfill the guarantee, then it should be removed as perk (not that I want to see it go). It is like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

I hear you Joe.

I spoke to Guest Services last week on this exact issue (they called me the day after I send an email to tellus@...).   Apparently there have been so many people angry and upset over this that we've gotten their attention.  (We'll see if something is done).  I only 1/2 believe this, but he told me explicitly that Viking is going to change the COVID policies they made, of which this is one of them.  Sometime in early 2023.  Specifically, they reduced drastically the number of pre-board reservations that could be made for 2 people due to COVID crowding concerns.  We'd heard of this before.  He claimed it was 70 % tables kept open until boarding.  I again stated they needed to do something now since Viking states that people can indeed get them but they can't.   He said they recognize this now and will be going back to the pre-COVID policies.  Again, I will believe it when I see it.  He stated that now the issue is that all the suites are booking every reservation possible - and not to worry, they cancel a lot of them.  So the 30 % gets used up very fast.  I again said that isn't the point.  I'm not worried about getting a table when I arrive, just would like them to do something.  I suggested they cut down the number of reservations that PS rooms get (6?) in the meantime.  Won't happen.  So let's see if they really do change back to the way it was pre-COVID.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 5

I, too, wasn't able to make any reservations (when they opened up) on MVJ but earlier this week I used the "live chat" option on Viking's website and within 5 minutes had reservations at both "The Chef's Table" and "Manfredi's" for days I wanted (both at 7:30).  This was for the "Searching for Northern Lights" cruise in January.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lucas Mom said:

I, too, wasn't able to make any reservations (when they opened up) on MVJ but earlier this week I used the "live chat" option on Viking's website and within 5 minutes had reservations at both "The Chef's Table" and "Manfredi's" for days I wanted (both at 7:30).  This was for the "Searching for Northern Lights" cruise in January.  

Where they able to tell you the menus available for the Chefs Table???

40 minutes ago, Lucas Mom said:

There isn't a chat function on the Australian Viking website and unless we use a vpn we can't access the US one. Luckily this won't bother us as we preferred the main eating places, and Manfredis service was very hit and miss. It wasn't crowded but it seemed like we had been forgotten and orders took ages then no drinks. We have a 21 day cruise in May which will be in a hot part of the world so likely the oceanview will be our haunt. 

On 12/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, CCWineLover said:

I hear you Joe.

I spoke to Guest Services last week on this exact issue (they called me the day after I send an email to tellus@...).   Apparently there have been so many people angry and upset over this that we've gotten their attention.  (We'll see if something is done).  I only 1/2 believe this, but he told me explicitly that Viking is going to change the COVID policies they made, of which this is one of them.  Sometime in early 2023.  Specifically, they reduced drastically the number of pre-board reservations that could be made for 2 people due to COVID crowding concerns.  We'd heard of this before.  He claimed it was 70 % tables kept open until boarding.  I again stated they needed to do something now since Viking states that people can indeed get them but they can't.   He said they recognize this now and will be going back to the pre-COVID policies.  Again, I will believe it when I see it.  He stated that now the issue is that all the suites are booking every reservation possible - and not to worry, they cancel a lot of them.  So the 30 % gets used up very fast.  I again said that isn't the point.  I'm not worried about getting a table when I arrive, just would like them to do something.  I suggested they cut down the number of reservations that PS rooms get (6?) in the meantime.  Won't happen.  So let's see if they really do change back to the way it was pre-COVID.

I have a PS Cabin and do not appreciate that you think it is ok to bargain away something I paid for.  You have a problem, trying to make it my problem is beyond selfish.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, harbourside said:

Where they able to tell you the menus available for the Chefs Table???

Even if they tell you when you make your advanced reservations, it is not guaranteed that is what will be served once cruise time comes around (and especially now when they are still experiencing supply chain issues).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

I have a PS Cabin and do not appreciate that you think it is ok to bargain away something I paid for.  You have a problem, trying to make it my problem is beyond selfish.

Well it seems that others aren't getting anything they were promised with regards to restaurants according to the website so maybe it's a case of reducing benefits more fairly. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

Well it seems that others aren't getting anything they were promised with regards to restaurants according to the website so maybe it's a case of reducing benefits more fairly. 

You just do not get it. Your problem is not my problem and your attempt to make it my problem is just plain wrong.  You need to analyze your attitude toward others, operating like you is never going to be productive.

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

You just do not get it. Your problem is not my problem and your attempt to make it my problem is just plain wrong.  You need to analyze your attitude toward others, operating like you is never going to be productive.

Whatever.

I don't plan on eating in the specialty restaurants as I stated before. Not my problem. I do believe in fairness. Which currently doesn't seem to be happening according to Vikings stated promotions. So in that sense I'm way more objective and dispassionate about what is happening than others here who have skin in the game. 

Seems Viking have promised both groups something they simply can't deliver. Just think it's better to give everyone a portion of what they've been promised, than alienate one group completely and give the other group everything.   Because both groups have paid for something, one group is receiving that and the other simply isn't. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

I made our dining reservations ten days ago and was able to get pretty much what we wanted (PV1).  But today, just for the heck of it, I went in to the dining reservations page on MVJ.  Instead of saying I had no more reservations remaining,  or saying I couldn’t make any reservations at this time it said:

Reservations for two are sold out, please contact us for other available options.

This is new and may be in response to so many disgruntled people on this topic.  I hope so, and hope all the DV and V folks get what they want!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I made our dining reservations ten days ago and was able to get pretty much what we wanted (PV1).  But today, just for the heck of it, I went in to the dining reservations page on MVJ.  Instead of saying I had no more reservations remaining,  or saying I couldn’t make any reservations at this time it said:

Reservations for two are sold out, please contact us for other available options.

This is new and may be in response to so many disgruntled people on this topic.  I hope so, and hope all the DV and V folks get what they want!

I noticed this a few days ago. We are sailing less that 30 days out (DV1). Reservations never opened online for us. It just said they weren’t available. I wasn’t sure if they changed policy or if it’s been this way for a while.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne