Medallion Medallion....do I really need to have this on the ship????

Kelownabccan

I am wondering if the OP gets to the cruise port by horse and buggy (i.e. Old Fashioned)?  But seriously, as a senior who does a lot of cruising and world travel I do get it!  All the new technology, apps, medallions, etc. can become overwhelming and even somewhat annoying.  But my advice to the OP is "try it....you might like it."   

I think Princess has overused the "Medallion" term and added to the confusion of many cruisers.  We do think that the actual physical Medallion (the size of a coin) is fine and no big deal.  It simply replaces the old cruise card and actually has several advantages.  But where it gets interesting are the various Princess apps (which keep getting reinvented).  So you might call it the "Medallion app" the "Medallion Class App,"  etc.  But it has improved (from the early days) and has become valuable for those that take advantage of the "dine my way" program.  So I will explain (for the sake of the OP).

Some cruisers (including me) like to enjoy dinner on our own schedule, not the cruise line schedule.  Before our cruise we do use the App to book dinner at a specific time (usually 7:45) in one particular MDR.  But on most mornings, when we are sitting near the International Cafe enjoying cappuccino,  DW and I will look at the daily schedule (which is on the App) and decide when and where we want to eat dinner.  I can just go into the app and change our dining time/place without leaving my seat.  No need to go the open MDR (if one is open) and talk to a host (who can handle reservations) or call the Dine Line (and often get a busy signal or be on hold for a period of time).  The App usually works, is fairly easy to use (once you get a little experience) and is convenient.  The truth is that if one does not want to carry their phone (or other device) they will be somewhat at a disadvantage.

Another nice app function, for those of us who spend a lot of time in a deck lounger, is the ability to order some items (such as a drink or snack) without needing to find a waiter, wait in a queue at a bar, etc.  One morning, on the Enchanted Princess, the ship was docked at a Caribbean port, most folks had gone ashore, and the crew was having a major drill.  DW and I had decided to relax aboard and were in loungers on an upper deck.  All the outside bars were closed (the crew were involved in the big drill).  We did not feel like going all the way down to deck 5 (where we knew there was limited service) and than having to carry our drinks back up to deck 18.  So we simply used the app to order our drinks.  About 10 min later a waiter (who we knew from the International Cafe) walked over to our loungers carrying the drinks :).  She had come up from the bar near the IC (about the only bar open during the drill) and no problem finding us because we had our "Medallions."   We do not always order drinks using the app, but there are times when it is a great option.

Hank

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ldtr said:

then explain why the rest of us are wrong when we find the concern about tracking to be an over reaction.

There's nothing to explain, opinions are not right or wrong that's why they're opinions and not facts. People need to accept that there are different opinions and respect that and try to get along. Too much divisiveness right now.

The Medallion tells Princess and whoever you're with, where you're at on the ship 24/7.  You use the Medallion to get in and out of your cabin.  Supposedly when purchasing drinks on board, waiter knows who you are just by the Medallion.  However, on the Royal, we were asked EVERY single time what our cabin # was.  So, other than you being a GPS sponge, there's no reason to have the Medallion.  Only good to keep track of you and nothing more.

16 minutes ago, elliair said:

The Medallion tells Princess and whoever you're with, where you're at on the ship 24/7.  You use the Medallion to get in and out of your cabin.  Supposedly when purchasing drinks on board, waiter knows who you are just by the Medallion.  However, on the Royal, we were asked EVERY single time what our cabin # was.  So, other than you being a GPS sponge, there's no reason to have the Medallion.  Only good to keep track of you and nothing more.

Other than the highlighted portion a cruise card provides the same exact information to Princess. 

As far a asking for your cabin number, the waiter was only checking to make sure he was billing it to the correct person and not someone standing next to you. It's faster to ask rather than trying to match a face to the screen. During slow periods, they never ask. 

I have yet to hear of just one reason why a medallion is worse than a cruise card after all this time of being used. If I missed something, please let us know.

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

So would we need to carry our phones for this function to work? This is all new to me. 

You don't have to use your phone other than placing an order. (but it does make it more convenient) If you place an order with a waiter they can still locate you using the Medallion.

Oh, I forgot, you can track other people that want to be tracked using the phone.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Oh....now I get it........two different ideas.....lol........the medallion button?? is the old cruise card.....that I can deal with.....just to open the cabin door.....great......I see I can just go ask for a cruise card also.....used to hang it on a lanyard....I guess when you check in you get this button thingy....lol....

The medallion (not the app) does what your old cruise card did.  Use it to open the cabin, pay for stuff and to exit/re-board ship.   It is kind of cool that the cabin door will unlock when you are a few feet away.  It is the diameter of maybe a quarter coin and thickness of a wristwatch.  Comes with a lanyard.  It is waterproof, including saltwater.  I found that out by mistake.  

In my opinion, there is no reason to have it mailed prior to the cruise.   We just picked ours up during the boarding process -- easy peezy.  

BTW, one feature of the medallion app is the ability to send texts to each other while on board.   A lot of folks find that handy.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You don't have to use your phone other than placing an order. (but it does make it more convenient) If you place an order with a waiter they can still locate you using the Medallion.

Oh, I forgot, you can track other people that want to be tracked using the phone.

Thanks. After reading this thread and the Princess website I was able to understand the order placing.  I assumed the phone would be required to track someone, but wanted to hear it from someone that has experienced using that function. Thanks.  

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks. After reading this thread and the Princess website I was able to understand the order placing.  I assumed the phone would be required to track someone, but wanted to hear it from someone that has experienced using that function. Thanks.  

And, to be clear, not just anyone can track you and you can't just track anyone.  You add the travel mates you want and they must opt in.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, elliair said:

No.  No.   There is a lot more to the medallion app than keeping track of you.  That room full of men in black monitoring your every move is not its main purpose.     

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We've used that feature on occasion but most times we either send text messages or just call each other.

It's interesting to me to discuss the tracking part of the medallion when we pretty much all walk around with a tracking device in our pockets every day. If that is the concern, as someone mentioned earlier, stick it in a cheap RFID blocker. And as someone else also mentioned, there are CCTV cameras that cover every public area on the ship and can see where you have been quite easily. 

I also wonder if they have geo-fencing, especially at sea, that would notify crew of a medallion (and possibly its owner) went overboard.

13 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'm still waiting for someone to give me just one good reason as to why the medallion is worse than a cruise card.

All I keep reading is that their afraid of being tracked when in reality, everyone who carries a phone is being tracker every day.

I just want to understand why I should be concerned about tracking.   I can't identify why I should be worried.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RizzleBizzle said:

I

I also wonder if they have geo-fencing, especially at sea, that would notify crew of a medallion (and possibly its owner) went overboard.

Ha...smart idea....medallion around neck if you fall overboard.....then they can find you fast...lol

Wow....my simple question has morphed into a big conflab.....medallion button=old cruise card.....great ......and I will not be carrying my cell phone all over the ship.....so I can order drinks....lol.....or be lazy and not go get my own food......for some this might sound cool but not for us......Thanks for the answer to my question.......and I will be picking mine up at the check in.....not in the mail.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Ha...smart idea....medallion around neck if you fall overboard.....then they can find you fast...lol

Wow....my simple question has morphed into a big conflab.....medallion button=old cruise card.....great ......and I will not be carrying my cell phone all over the ship.....so I can order drinks....lol.....or be lazy and not go get my own food......for some this might sound cool but not for us......Thanks for the answer to my question.......and I will be picking mine up at the check in.....not in the mail.....

This new thing about charging folks to have their Medallions mailed is annoying.  The idea of mailing the Medallions in advance is that it simplifies the procedures at embarkation.  Those that have their Medallions and complete all the pre-cruise forms will usually be quickly moved through the embarkation process.  When we arrived at the terminal (Port Everglades) we were on the ship in about 10 minutes.  Those who needed to pick-up Medallions had a significant delay as they had to wait in a queue to get to a counter, and then wait while a staffer had to go search for their Medallions.  For those who do not mind the delays (and extra hassles) there is no reason to pay to have the Medallions mailed.

Hank

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Those who needed to pick-up Medallions had a significant delay as they had to wait in a queue to get to a counter, and then wait while a staffer had to go search for their Medallions. 

Looks like the old priority line will be getting busy again. 😁

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

We've used that feature on occasion but most times we either send text messages or just call each other.

We won't be using the phone tracking option. Like all our cruises, phone(s) locked in the safe the entire cruise. We are good at verbally setting a time and place to meet,. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

This new thing about charging folks to have their Medallions mailed is annoying.  The idea of mailing the Medallions in advance is that it simplifies the procedures at embarkation.  Those that have their Medallions and complete all the pre-cruise forms will usually be quickly moved through the embarkation process.  When we arrived at the terminal (Port Everglades) we were on the ship in about 10 minutes.  Those who needed to pick-up Medallions had a significant delay as they had to wait in a queue to get to a counter, and then wait while a staffer had to go search for their Medallions.  For those who do not mind the delays (and extra hassles) there is no reason to pay to have the Medallions mailed.

Hank

Who qualifies for the no charge medallion mailing option, if it's still an option?

Edited by davekathy

19 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Well....lots of eye opening thoughts.....prob will just use the feature to open our door.....pretty low tech.......I hate it when google sends me a map showing where I have been in my car for a month.....lol.....sometimes places I do not want to remember...haha......hey !!!! just a thought....I guess Princess will know how many times an old timer like me now uses the men's room.....just kidding.....anyways...Thanks for the info....

Really?  Google has never sent me a summary.  

Give the medallion and medallion Class App a try.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  I don't understand what all the hoopla is about?

• Like 1

Change is hard for most of us. When airlines went to e-tickets , online seat selection and check-in and cruise lines introduced similar options, lots of people were distrustful or just couldn’t see any reason to bother with it all. Today, we’d think it was crazy to have to go to a travel agent, airline office or the airport to get tickets for a flight or go get hard copies of cruise documents.  I don’t have any idea how people without computers and access to the internet fly anywhere or cruise.

While there are people who don’t see any reason to have a smart phone or any mobile phone at all, their numbers are shrinking. Even for seniors who say they are resistant to acquiring technology, they are a safety net. I would never want to have to try to find a pay phone in an emergency or carry a land line phone around the house in my pocket,

Even key cards for hotel rooms or cruise ship cabins threw plenty of people for a loop since unlike traditional keys they had no room number printed on them. They also had magnetic strips that could stop working. We’d be shocked to be handed physical keys now. Especially the ones on giant fobs.

I imagine it won’t be long before we are all accustomed to using the medallion and there is no doubt that smart phone use will be even more common than it is now. This is all just growing pains.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Who qualifies for the no charge medallion mailing option, if it's still an option?

I believe it is those who purchase the Plus or Premier packages. 

Those who don't will have to pay $10 to get them mailed. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

There's nothing to explain, opinions are not right or wrong that's why they're opinions and not facts. People need to accept that there are different opinions and respect that and try to get along. Too much divisiveness right now.

And we are both telling the op our opinions. The difference is that several people have given reasons why they disagree with yours, but you get upset with them for doing so, yet offer nothing other than it your your opinion.

For many there's value with both the app and the medallion that people that are not familiar with will miss if they get frightened into not using it.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We won't be using the phone tracking option. Like all our cruises, phone(s) locked in the safe the entire cruise. We are good at verbally setting a time and place to meet,. 

But don't you like to take photo's on the cruise? Having a phone serves a lot of functions. 

23 minutes ago, ldtr said:

And we are both telling the op our opinions. The difference is that several people have given reasons why they disagree with yours, but you get upset with them for doing so, yet offer nothing other than it your your opinion.

For many there's value with both the app and the medallion that people that are not familiar with will miss if they get frightened into not using it.

Not upset at all with the opinions only the name calling, nasty comments,  and tin hat references which aren't called for. If we all thought alike we wouldn't need menu's, we'd have the same exact dinner or drink or whatever. We are all different and alike and need to be respectful but staying anonymous on blogs has given some bulling traits. 

I really don't need to see my name or picture plastered on a big screen next to the elevator when I approach.  I know who I am. I choose not to carry  my smart phone, it's locked in the safe except in ports (for emergencies) and when I'm ready to disembark.  Who really needs to know how long I take in the bathroom or the pool or elsewhere? It's my preference to put the medallion in the RFID sleeve and take it out only when needed.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I really don't need to see my name or picture plastered on a big screen next to the elevator when I approach.

Sorry, but that doesn't happen especially since you use an RFID wallet. We also choose to not have our name on the door display either.