Medallion Medallion....do I really need to have this on the ship????

Kelownabccan

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've always felt that this option was basically useless since there is NO notification of any type that you have received a message...unless this has changed within the past month.

We (group of 6 last March) all have iPhones and there is no issue using iMessage (with the usual text received ringtone) to the fellow members of our group and to our kids back home.

Just now, capriccio said:

We (group of 6 last March) all have iPhones and there is no issue using iMessage (with the usual text received ringtone) to the fellow members of our group and to our kids back home.

We are not speaking about iMessage...(at least *I* am not.)  I'm speaking about the so-called "text" feature built in to the Medallion App.

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

We are not speaking about iMessage...(at least *I* am not.)  I'm speaking about the so-called "text" feature built in to the Medallion App.

Understood but there are alternatives depending upon the type of phone you have.

Keep bantering....lol.......one can see the medallion app has people who love it and others who do not care about it.......I am sort of in the middle.....certainly do not have a cell phone in my hand every moment of the day....haha......so I guess that put me in some camp or group  somewhere.....anyways looking forward to the 11 day cruise up to Alaska and back.....medallion or not....

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

NO notification?   The message icon shows an incoming.  There is no ring or chime, which might be a good thing for our fellow passengers.    I would prefer something on the Home Screen (or whatever it is called) instead of having to open the app to see a message notice.   But I wouldn't categorize it as useless.  Your mileage obviously varies from mine.  

When people mention "no notification" most want an audible tone or ring so they don't have to constantly check the phone all day long.

A visual indication isn't good unless you want to check your phone constantly which I categorize as useless. 

I haven't noticed it being overly abused with constant annoying rings/beeps on our last cruise- especially in the theater and dining room. 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

When people mention "no notification" most want an audible tone or ring so they don't have to constantly check the phone all day long.

A visual indication isn't good unless you want to check your phone constantly which I categorize as useless. 

I haven't noticed it being overly abused with constant annoying rings/beeps on our last cruise- especially in the theater and dining room. 

I think so too, about wanting a ring.   I can see it now.  In addition to chair hogs and dress codes, there will be threads about obnoxious ring tones.  😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think so too, about wanting a ring.   I can see it now.  In addition to chair hogs and dress codes, there will be threads about obnoxious ring tones.  😀

I don't think anyone like to hear phones ring. 

But think about the alternative. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

How about a "love boat" ring tone?

https://www.zedge.net/find/ringtones/the love boat

Edited by Musky Ike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Can’t imagine not having WiFi on a cruise. Especially on longer cruises with 5-6 sea days in a row

OK.  

For us it depends on the cost, which varies by cruise line.  If deemed too expensive we will have it for only a single device.  We find Princess' current wifi pricing with our discount to be attractive.  

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

Can’t imagine not having WiFi on a cruise. Especially on longer cruises with 5-6 sea days in a row

Some of us don't need Wi-Fi to make a cruise enjoyable. We are fully capable of tuning out and enjoying the cruise itself. We typically leave our phones in the safe. With the new medallion features, we will have to change our habits or do without the benefits which need the phone to enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

Some of us don't need Wi-Fi to make a cruise enjoyable. We are fully capable of tuning out and enjoying the cruise itself. We typically leave our phones in the safe. With the new medallion features, we will have to change our habits or do without the benefits which need the phone to enjoy.

Same with DH and I. We grew up not being tethered to the instant gratification the modern smartphone provides. So we can relax with a good book, an enjoyable conversation with friends, or just watching the ocean pass by our balcony. We don't need to stay in constant contact with people back home, or be instantly notified of which celebrity's marriage is breaking up, or be able to share our thoughts with everyone the instant we have them, or get the latest TicTok brain cell attack. We are perfectly content with enjoying life that surround us at the moment by actually noticing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PTMary said:

Same with DH and I. We grew up not being tethered to the instant gratification the modern smartphone provides. So we can relax with a good book, an enjoyable conversation with friends, or just watching the ocean pass by our balcony. We don't need to stay in constant contact with people back home, or be instantly notified of which celebrity's marriage is breaking up, or be able to share our thoughts with everyone the instant we have them, or get the latest TicTok brain cell attack. We are perfectly content with enjoying life that surround us at the moment by actually noticing it. 

I'm sure that those who like to spend time online could care less,  and I doubt that they would put that much effort into ridiculing your choices.  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm sure that those who like to spend time online could care less,  and I doubt that they would put that much effort into ridiculing your choices.  

Thank you for your lecture. I always enjoy them. When is your next lecture scheduled? I don't want to miss it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PTMary said:

Thank you for your lecture. I always enjoy them. When is your next lecture scheduled? I don't want to miss it. 

You are welcome.  It is part of my "Dishing It Back" lecture series. 

9 hours ago, PTMary said:

So if you are in a 30 day cruise how do you pay your bills like mortgage?

On 12/14/2022 at 7:56 AM, ldtr said:

Do you wear a mask to prevent the very large numbers of cctv cameras from seeing you throughout the ship. Of course anytime you use the medallion you can be picked up so the ship will certainly get the information they really want. Where you spend money.

Very clever marketing on Princess's behalf though, to be able to convince all its passengers to wear a tracking device. Amazing, really.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

So if you are in a 30 day cruise how do you pay your bills like mortgage?

If we go on the rare extended vacation, I simply make two months worth of payments on the last bill I pay on all monthly reoccurring accounts before we leave. Instead of needing an internet connection to pay bills while away from home, I simply plan ahead like any responsible money manager would. 

Besides, our home is paid off, so we have no mortgage, and we pay cash when we purchase new vehicles, so we have no auto loans either. We have no large bills to deal with while we are away.

Easy peasy. 

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1