Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

On 3/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, dog said:

Wonderful video! Thank you!

How are you liking the cabin, ship, etc?

I like the cabin, spacious enough for me as a solo traveler. There where some noise semi regularly all day and night for about 4 to 10 minutes long but after talking to my cabin steward its gone now. What i don’t like is that the balcony faces forward and you get all the wind if the ship is cruising. Coming summer that may be nice but not this early in the spring. 

The ship as a whole is very nice. Every then and now there is some trouble with the handheld devices recognizing my medallion. But the staff is marvelous. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Where are you getting the handful of extra cabins from?

Guests 4,300Crew 1,600                           Inaugural Cruise 2024

Guest Cabins: 2150

Number of Decks: 21

Tonnage: 175,500

Length: 1133 feet

The same sites that report full capacity numbers also show normal capacity as 4320  or in one case 4324.

Cruise deck plans reports 2162 cabins for example.

Guest entertainers and speakers on Princess tend to stay in passenger cabins, unlike Celebrity where speakers stay below the line in crew spaces. So the difference might be some cabins that retained and not put into passenger for sale inventory.

Edited by TRLD

Earlier in this thread folks were talking about the piazza and the missing stairs. Unfortunately, the Sun doesn't have the circular staircases we are used to. Gerrilyn had an interesting picture of Crooners on her fb page. It shows the staircase between deck 9 and deck 8.

image.thumb.jpeg.0117606272964d65fa1e7dff8211f3ea.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dides said:

Some different pizza and dessert offerings from Alfredo's on Sun Princess. (I wonder if they will still have pineapple available):

alfredos-sun1.thumb.jpg.b7d9224461dac6365df3c6729f7abaa2.jpg

alfredos-sun1b.thumb.jpg.2d08114b0b60bcf98eb4d334828fa943.jpg

NOOOO the veal pasta pockets aren’t on the menu! My fav item at Alfredo’s on the other ships.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The same sites that report full capacity numbers also show normal capacity as 4320  or in one case 4324.

Cruise deck plans reports 2162 cabins for example.

Guest entertainers and speakers on Princess tend to stay in passenger cabins, unlike Celebrity where speakers stay below the line in crew spaces. So the difference might be some cabins that retained and not put into passenger for sale inventory.

I know Princess is not perfect, but I would go by their own website and not some third party.  Sure, Princess may hold some cabins for guest entertainers and such, but the total cabins should be correct on Princess.com.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, macusr said:

NOOOO the veal pasta pockets aren’t on the menu! My fav item at Alfredo’s on the other ships.

Hey stranger, Glad to see you are still lurking over here once in a while since you decided to abandon us for a different date on the Sun.... Just Kidding!!!! I see from your signature that you've got a great schedule set up for the next 2 years.

Take care and enjoy your cruises.

Joe

Edited by cruisingpeople
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, macusr said:

Say it ain't SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - definitely my go to

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Hey stranger, Glad to see you are still lurking over here once in a while since you decided to abandon us for a different date on the Sun.... Just Kidding!!!! I see from your signature that you've got a great schedule set up for the next 2 years.

Take care and enjoy your cruises.

Joe

Oh yeah I’m still here 😉

Just got back from our Viva cruise and used the NCL CruiseNext program to book our 1st 2026 cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I know Princess is not perfect, but I would go by their own website and not some third party.  Sure, Princess may hold some cabins for guest entertainers and such, but the total cabins should be correct on Princess.com.  

Not sure why Princess is using that number but I counted the cabins on their deck plans and got 2162 same as some of the other sites such as Cruisemapper is using.

13 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Not sure why Princess is using that number but I counted the cabins on their deck plans and got 2162 same as some of the other sites such as Cruisemapper is using.

So that gives you the capacity at 2/cabin of 4324. The max takes into account the cabins that can sleep 4/cabin.

So, with a max capacity of passengers being 5189 that would be about 432 cabins that can sleep more than 2/cabin. Also, most suites can sleep more than two, right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

So that gives you the capacity at 2/cabin of 4324. The max takes into account the cabins that can sleep 4/cabin.

So, with a max capacity of passengers being 5189 that would be about 432 cabins that can sleep more than 2/cabin. Also, most suites can sleep more than two, right.

The two bedroom suites can sleep 5. 

On some ships there is more 3 and 4 person cabins than the ship max would seem to indicate because of evacuation limits (zones, life boats, rafts, etc). That is why sometimes a ship may show a 3/4 person cabin as being available but will not allow more than 2 to be booked in it.

Will need to go through and see what the deck plans indicate for the capacity of each cabin.

17 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Nope.  Ship capacity is normally quoted as 2 guests per cabin.  Those are the common statistics referenced for ship size or comparing.  Perhaps you were indicating that the count is 2 per cabin even if capacity is 3 or 4 possible.

40 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Wow!!  That was some effort.  I would think then that PCL setup the webpage for the Sun and Star based on construction plans and not changed with the actual during build.  Like I said, we know Princess is not perfect and their website is not always up to date.  At least the numbers are close to each other.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Wow!!  That was some effort.  I would think then that PCL setup the webpage for the Sun and Star based on construction plans and not changed with the actual during build.  Like I said, we know Princess is not perfect and their website is not always up to date.  At least the numbers are close to each other.

Have noticed similar minor variations <2% or so on Princess ship numbers in the past. Princess seems to round a bit on their numbers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

The only real benefit of Reserve class is the dining room (and better room location).  

If you prefer specialty dining, then Reserve class makes less sense.

I would pay for a Reserve class mini-suite if it is around $10 pp per day extra; otherwise, I'll pass.  YMMV.

If you want special deck accommodations, then book the S9 signature suites (sized the same as mini-suites).

Thank you. It’s funny looking at YMMV. Had to look it up… “your mileage may vary?” My mom did not allow me to engage with slang so I am not familiar. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

Thank you. It’s funny looking at YMMV. Had to look it up… “your mileage may vary?” My mom did not allow me to engage with slang so I am not familiar. 

You’ll see a lot of social media abbreviations here on CC.  It cuts down on all the typing. 
🥴

• Like 1

This is a busy European Cruise, and the weather has been chilly...  So, I doubt the Sanctuary has been a hot commodity.   I am not sure if we have heard if it has been officially renting loungers????    I can not imagine who would want to pay.

• Like 2

Just now, Wishing on a star said:

This is a busy European Cruise, and the weather has been chilly...  So, I doubt the Sanctuary has been a hot commodity.   I am not sure if we have heard if it has been officially renting loungers????    I can not imagine who would want to pay.

I also can’t imagine who would want to pay so that’s why I was asking. Just curious how it’s working out for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I also can’t imagine who would want to pay so that’s why I was asking. Just curious how it’s working out for them.

My prediction is that there is going to be a sea-change (pun intended) with the current iteration of the Sanctuary at the first drydock refurb, if not sooner.  While P.T. Barnum has never been proven wrong about suckers being born every minute, there is a limit to their gullibility.  Raise prices and provide only rows of unpadded vinyl lounge chairs with no shade?  Even Mr. Barnum could not have anticipated people being so foolish. And this is especially true when we see pictures and videos of the Dome and Sea View Terrace offered to everyone at no charge.  People who book cruises on Sun Princess are going to fall over themselves to experience the new features and when they try out the bow-based lounge areas for free, there is nothing that would compel anyone to pay for the lesser, stern-based lounge area. Add in the new Cabanas (which afford solitude), the Reserve Cabana deck area, (which is capacity-limited), the Signature Sun Deck (which is also capacity-limited) and generally larger balconies throughout the ship for people to hang out in, and the need to pay for the Fortress of Solitude that the Sanctuary typically provides evaporates.  Maybe I will eat these words, but I can't imagine the current iteration of the Sanctuary being anything other than crickets for the foreseeable future.     

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I can't imagine the current iteration of the Sanctuary being anything other than crickets for the foreseeable future.

Yeah I don't see it working out, especially if they don't upgrade to the padded lounge chairs that are already available in some of the free areas. I feel like it would be an easy fix to add the cushions, though, so let's see if they do it ahead of the summer season.  There might still be some issues with the lack of shade and the overcrowding, though.  I will reserve judgment until I see how/when they respond to feedback.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Some fantastic views from the aft glass elevator plus the Wake View Terrace and the Infinity Pool. Credit: Tammy W

May be an image of ocean

May be an image of 1 person and ocean

May be an image of 2 people

May be an image of pool

Edited by dides
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8