Be aware of this when applying to NCLs new Veteran’s Program

MagnoliaBlossom

My husband is a veteran and we were delighted to see that NCL was reinstating its military discount and extending it to spouses.   I do all the bookings, etc on our cruises so we only use my account.  When I did the application for DH it attached his discount, as well as mine, to my NCL account.   So why is this a bad thing you ask?  Well, normally it wouldn’t matter at all, but we are booking a family cruise with our minor grandchildren, so I will be in a cabin with granddaughter and DH will be with grandson.  We can each use our discount for each cabin.  Cool, right?

Well, my PCC called and said DHs veteran status is not showing up in HIS account so he can’t use it, but I can because I’m registered in MY account.  NCL cannot change this as the verification is done through ID me.   They have not responded to any of my emails or chats and their phone message says (no matter the time of day) that it is after business hours please call again.  So I have discovered through my PCC that a few other agents at their morning meeting had customers with the same problem.   And she gave me guidance on how they had resolved it.

it is a great program and very quick and easy to apply and get approved for, but be SURE if you are the vet to log into your account before applying, then go to your spouses account for their verification. It is arduous to fix and takes a seven day waiting period before your old account is deleted and you can reapply.

24 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Thanks for this.   I was able to register myself and my wife!!  

As a fellow Cajun, I’m glad I could help.  The old program was not administered  through an outside party so once NCL had a DD214 on file that was that.  This is very quick and easy but if there is a problem you’re dealing with an outside entity.

my PCC was very frustrated that there was nothing they could do and that ID me is so no responsive.  But it’s a new program and I would hope that they would have an instruction set to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

11 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

NCL cannot change this as the verification is done through ID me.  

They have not responded to any of my emails or chats and their phone message says (no matter the time of day) that it is after business hours please call again.  So I have discovered through my PCC that a few other agents at their morning meeting had customers with the same problem.   And she gave me guidance on how they had resolved it.

oh god... ID.me uses facial recognition to verify you.

so your facial recognition is on file with the govt agency (veterans in this case) and any major law enforcement can access it for whatever reason.

Edited by fstuff1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:07 PM, schmoopie17 said:

So...I signed up and everything's set on my account. But I'm confused...what's the advantage to signing up my wife if we always cruise together? It's not like they'll give us a double discount...

Normally for DH and I it would not have made a difference but we are cruising with our grandchildren in 2024 and as they are minor cannot be in a room alone (18 and 16) so I will be with one teen, DH with the other.   As we are both qualify for the discount we can get it off both rooms, but as I registered us both under my name, not knowing any better, his status is not eligible for a second room as it is linked to my account.

if we were never to cruise in separate cabins it wouldn’t matter one bit.  So if that is your situation, then it won’t matter, but if you think you may want to do a cruise where you would like discounts on two rooms then, make sure you register under your own account.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 7:26 PM, fstuff1 said:

oh god... ID.me uses facial recognition to verify you.

so your facial recognition is on file with the govt agency (veterans in this case) and any major law enforcement can access it for whatever reason.

They already have your facial recognition.  You have to submit the picture on your drivers license or other identification which means they already have a picture of your face.  They compare that pictue to  your face.

• Like 1

FYI, I closed DHs account on Wednesday.  It said info would be deleted within seven days.  Today is Monday and so far not able to reapply.  I hope that the seven day release actually happens but I’m not too optimistic based on my experience thus far.  When you call the support lines it says it is after hours p, even though it is not, and when you click on the support link it says the page cannot be found.  Hmmm 🤔 .  Come Thursday morning, I’m going to search out the head of this program at NCL.  Years ago all you did was submit your DD214, easy peazy.  Certainly they can do that again if you are stuck in the quagmire of ID.me.   We shall see.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2022 at 9:05 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

FYI, I closed DHs account on Wednesday.  It said info would be deleted within seven days.  Today is Monday and so far not able to reapply.  I hope that the seven day release actually happens but I’m not too optimistic based on my experience thus far.  When you call the support lines it says it is after hours p, even though it is not, and when you click on the support link it says the page cannot be found.  Hmmm 🤔 .  Come Thursday morning, I’m going to search out the head of this program at NCL.  Years ago all you did was submit your DD214, easy peazy.  Certainly they can do that again if you are stuck in the quagmire of ID.me.   We shall see.

Were you ever able to get this fixed?  Same thing happened to me when trying to book and link ID.me to my friends account.  I had closed the NCL window but didn't log out of my account, so when the new window opened, it opened and linked my account.  We revoked NCL access from ID.me as we were told to by NCL. Did you have to delete your husband's ID.me account and then reapply to get this fixed.  Any help appreciated.  NCL hasn't been able to get this done for over a month.  No one there seems to know how to get it resolved.  There has to be a way.

On 3/20/2024 at 3:03 PM, AVLTravelers said:

Were you ever able to get this fixed? 

Yea, I realize this is an old thread by now, but the info may be helpful.  On day 7 DHs account cleared and I reapplied and all was right in the world.  In the meantime I had called a lady whose name was one of the three NCL employees who were veterans and consulted on the program.  She was in accounting, I think, and was absolutely confused about why I would call her because she had nothing to do with the program aside from supporting it as a veteran.  I told her my delima, and how I’m sure I was not the only person who would face this and he said she would pass on my concerns.  She called me back on day 8 to see if the problem had been resolved.  It wasn’t her job, but she followed up on a fellow vet and it was much appreciated.

• Like 1