Testing for South American Cruise

sissy2000

We received an email about our upcoming cruise originating in Chile:

Testing Requirements

• All guests ages 5 and older are required to take a medically observed COVID-19 Test.
    • Medically observed PCR test taken within 3 days before embarkation.
    • Medically observed or self-administered antigen home test must be taken within 3 days before embarkation.

The last bullet says a "medically observed" OR "self-administered antigen home test.  Does that mean we can just do one of the regular home tests without doing the phone appointment?  If so, how would we report the results?   I know I can call Princess (and will) but I dread the long hold time and thought someone on  here might know the answer.

• Thanks 1

On a cruise departing from Santiago today a passenger reported that a self administrated test without the proctoring was accepted.  However masks are required for at least the first three days. When we got on in LA, a proctored test was required but that seemed to have been changed after we left.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, sissy2000 said:

We received an email about our upcoming cruise originating in Chile:

Testing Requirements

• All guests ages 5 and older are required to take a medically observed COVID-19 Test.
    • Medically observed or self-administered antigen home test must be taken within 3 days before embarkation.

The last bullet says a "medically observed" OR "self-administered antigen home test.  Does that mean we can just do one of the regular home tests without doing the phone appointment?  If so, how would we report the results?   I know I can call Princess (and will) but I dread the long hold time and thought someone on  here might know the answer.

The OR is correct. 

Yes, a non-medically observed self-administered antigen home test is accepted. Granted Princess could always revert to the previous requirement of a medically observed test in the future, but today self-administered is accepted.

On Saturday I took my non-medically observed self-administered home antigen test at the hotel.  I uploaded a pic of the negative test results along with my ID to the Medallion app. I boarded the ship in San Antonio on Monday. No issues or questions asked about the self-administered test.

Take a look at the Medallion app - same section where you upload your proof of vaccination. You'll see a reference to self-administered.

• Like 1

Not sure what Princess actually want…the information for my cruise, with ‘enhanced procedures’ doesn’t make sense as it says firstly that medically observed tests are required, the next line shows home tests are fine. I posted on  the South America board..you might want to look. 

Spoke to travel agent who contacted Princess who said tests not needed !!!!

I think this is totally wrong, as somewhere else it says cruises over 18 days need medically observed tests…….so not a clue where we stand. Will contact Princess again closer to Sail date…wish they realised how much stress they are causing with their unclear posts !!!!!!!!!

Just a quick update on this.  It finally occurred to me to do the chat rather than sit on hold forever.  She said that I could do a short video of doing the test and a picture of the results and upload them to the Medallion app.   No medical supervision necessary!  Thank you all for the answers--sorry I didn't think of chat sooner.

2 minutes ago, sissy2000 said:

Just a quick update on this.  It finally occurred to me to do the chat rather than sit on hold forever.  She said that I could do a short video of doing the test and a picture of the results and upload them to the Medallion app.   No medical supervision necessary!  Thank you all for the answers--sorry I didn't think of chat sooner.

LOL... I would be shocked if you could download a video on the medallion app 🤣

• Haha 1

Currently on the Sapphire, we are currently masked for 3 days and the entire ship will be tested on the 22nd.  Masking will be reevaluated after testing.   In light of this I would suggest doing a proctored test to save any last minute scrambling.   

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

Currently on the Sapphire, we are currently masked for 3 days and the entire ship will be tested on the 22nd.  Masking will be reevaluated after testing.   In light of this I would suggest doing a proctored test to save any last minute scrambling.   

You need to do a Covid test. You don't need to do a proctored antigen test to get on the ship. You can if you want, but it is not required. A self-administered antigen test, not proctored, is accepted. Another option is a proctored PCR test if you want. 

I boarded the Sapphire on the 19th.  See post #4 above.

Edited by Aggie83

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Not sure what Princess actually want…the information for my cruise, with ‘enhanced procedures’ doesn’t make sense as it says firstly that medically observed tests are required, the next line shows home tests are fine. I posted on  the South America board..you might want to look. 

I think this is totally wrong, as somewhere else it says cruises over 18 days need medically observed tests…….so not a clue where we stand. Will contact Princess again closer to Sail date…wish they realised how much stress they are causing with their unclear posts !!!!!!!!!

See posts #4 and #9 above. Also check out the CruiseHealth FAQ on the Princess website. This was updated on the 19th. The cruise duration guideline for testing was eliminated several months ago. Also, there is a dedicated pinned Covid topic in the Princess section of CruiseCritic.

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Tests 16 days and over still requiring testing. Also, from what I saw,  there is one 14 day that is requiring testing because it can be booked as a 14 day or a 33 day, so everyone needs to be tested.

1 minute ago, mjmalino said:

Cruises 16 days and over still requiring testing. Also, from what I saw,  there is one 14 day that is requiring testing because it can be booked as a 14 day or a 33 day, so everyone needs to be tested.

Think that’s the consensus of what I’ve been reading…now to get a firm answer on PCR or Antigen, medically observed os self tested.  Thanks for your help.

58 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

See posts #4 and #9 above. Also check out the CruiseHealth FAQ on the Princess website. This was updated on the 19th. The cruise duration guideline for testing was eliminated several months ago. Also, there is a dedicated pinned Covid topic in the Princess section of CruiseCritic.

These are the protocols for our specific cruise. Dated 2nd Dec..there is nothing after that on UK site. It is the sentences in blue and red that I find contradictory.

Enhanced Protocols

This specific booking and/or voyage follows our COVID-19 Enhanced Protocols for vaccination and testing requirements.

Vaccination Requirements

• All guests 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. A booster dose is required for guests 18 years of age and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 5 months.
  • Only one booster dose is needed to be considered boosted.
  • Guests under 18 years of age do not need to be vaccinated, have a booster dose or apply for an exemption.

Testing Requirements

Please upload all required documentation to the MedallionClass app for a quick and seamless embarkation process.

Global COVID-19 regulations and protocols are continuously changing and we may revise or modify these requirements (effective immediately) to evolve with the latest practices at any time. Please check back regularly for any updates. These protocols only apply to the specific booking number or voyage entered.

As of December 2, 2022

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

These are the protocols for our specific cruise. Dated 2nd Dec..there is nothing after that on UK site. It is the sentences in blue and red that I find contradictory.

Enhanced Protocols

This specific booking and/or voyage follows our COVID-19 Enhanced Protocols for vaccination and testing requirements.

Vaccination Requirements

• All guests 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. A booster dose is required for guests 18 years of age and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 5 months.
  • Only one booster dose is needed to be considered boosted.
  • Guests under 18 years of age do not need to be vaccinated, have a booster dose or apply for an exemption.

Testing Requirements

Please upload all required documentation to the MedallionClass app for a quick and seamless embarkation process.

Global COVID-19 regulations and protocols are continuously changing and we may revise or modify these requirements (effective immediately) to evolve with the latest practices at any time. Please check back regularly for any updates. These protocols only apply to the specific booking number or voyage entered.

As of December 2, 2022

Yes, I had same questions. I think it is sloppy editing/proofreading and that it should read like the Japan protocol. I had 2 different chats with Princess reps between 12/10 and 12/12 and they both said it can be self-administered. I received the following in an email from Princess on 12/13:

image.thumb.png.ec863527ab5f4b1185d1cc7ccc2ccacd.png

I'm telling you what I did to get on the Sapphire on the 19th in Chile. As I previously posted, check the CruiseHealth FAQ which was updated 12/19.

Screenshot_20221220_144616_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1fe126404d2a809ee9ee46bb0b73797a.jpg

image.png

3 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Aggie 83- Being stupid….do you mean self administered and observed on the internet, or just self administered and you take photo of negative result ??

Thanks.

Self-administered and you take proof. Not observed by anyone but yourself. I met 4 people at our hotel in Chile that did what I did and they are on the ship.

Prior to Dec 2, the only option was a 'medically observed' antigen or PCR test. The Dec 2 update to the protocol added the 'self-administered' verbiage. 

Below is partial expansion of the question I posted above. Also look at where you upload the test in the Medallion and you will see self-test verbiage.

Screenshot_20221220_152604_Chrome.thumb.jpg.31f387420ec9a391699fa8f91b1e8bfc.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjmalino said:

Tests 16 days and over still requiring testing. Also, from what I saw,  there is one 14 day that is requiring testing because it can be booked as a 14 day or a 33 day, so everyone needs to be tested.

I don't think the rule is as straightforward as cruise duration. If that was the case, the Enchanted Princess would have more cruises on the enhanced protocol. 

Thank you Aggie 83…will take a box of tests, obviously passport and maybe buy a newspaper to show the date..time will have to be written in somewhere, but maybe phone time will show up.

Hopefully something simpler will appear by email prior to departure.

Thanks again for your input.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thank you Aggie 83…will take a box of tests, obviously passport and maybe buy a newspaper to show the date..time will have to be written in somewhere, but maybe phone time will show up.

Hopefully something simpler will appear by email prior to departure.

Thanks again for your input.

On a piece of paper I wrote the date, included my driver's license, the test card, and added my signature. I took a pic and uploaded that. If necessary, for additional proof, I could show them the date/timestamp of the file. I had my husband do the same. 

I hope something simpler, such as no testing requirement, appears prior to your departure. As I was in Chile for 5 days prior to the cruise, I was thrilled when they changed to allow self-administered. Made things much easier.

All of this works relatively easily if you have a smart phone. Can't imagine trying to navigate this without one.

We are in Chile for three days pre cruise, after 24 hrs of travelling, so that’s why I am fussing about trying to find out whether we need a proctored test or need to book somewhere for the test, like we had to do last year  for Caribbean cruise ex Fort Lauderdale.

Can you explain what a ‘test card’ is please?

Our British tests appear to be slightly different. 

We have proof of two vaccinations and two boosters both in paper form and on our iPhones.

14 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We are in Chile for three days pre cruise, after 24 hrs of travelling, so that’s why I am fussing about trying to find out whether we need a proctored test or need to book somewhere for the test, like we had to do last year  for Caribbean cruise ex Fort Lauderdale.

Can you explain what a ‘test card’ is please?

Our British tests appear to be slightly different. 

We have proof of two vaccinations and two boosters both in paper form and on our iPhones.

Test card (test strip?) is the thing that displays the test results. I don't recall how my test kit referred to it. 

You will upload a pic of the test results and a pic of your vaccination info to the Medallion app. 

On a side note, to get an in person medically observed Covid test in Chile, you go to a medical clinic not a pharmacy (such as Lloyds or CVS in UK/US). I found that much harder to figure out, especially because I don't speak Spanish. If Princess was going to require an observed test, I was going to do it via internet in our hotel in Chile.

Yes, we went to a Doctors’ office in Fort Lauderdale to get the test last year. Was thinking of the airport in Santiago if they still require them. We have a type of cartridge that we put the liquid into, then results show in 15 minutes..presume that is what you mean??

Fingers and toes crossed we don’t need anything by the time tie of our cruise.

Thanks for your help.

These protocols change all the time   You can put your voyage number into the Princess website and get updated info. Right now my 15 day Panama Canal cruise in March only requires testing for unvaccinated guests.  With proof of full vaccination no test needed

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

These protocols change all the time   You can put your voyage number into the Princess website and get updated info. Right now my 15 day Panama Canal cruise in March only requires testing for unvaccinated guests.  With proof of full vaccination no test needed

Your cruise has the 'Columbia' protocol assigned. Below is link with cruises and assigned protocols.

https://www.princess.com/protocol/?voyage=enhanced