Main dining menu

barbon2

There was also a 10 oz strip steak and French Onion soup.  We noticed last month that the entree "standards" did change a bit from night to night, but one server told us that any of them were available, if we requested..   

• Like 2

I seem to remember from cruises 10 years ago that Split Pea Soup was a "standard" item that could be ordered even if it wasn't on the MDR menu.  Does anyone know if that is still the case?  In our last few cruises, I don't recall it on the menu any night.  I know you can get it from the Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle-class ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

A good example is the availability of fruit crisps in the MDR.  If you ask, you can have them with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream to melt over the warm fruit.

What are fruit crisps?  Like cobblers? Because the desserts I’ve seen on the menus haven’t been exciting.  

Edited by Charlene1985

6 minutes ago, Charlene1985 said:

What are fruit crisps?  Like cobblers? Because the desserts I’ve seen on the menus haven’t been exciting.  

dessert on menu only 3 selections. Pitiful selection. Best thing there is the Sundae w marshmallows on Kids menu. If you ask for a cheese plate; they will provide one. 

Lido will have fresh hot cobblers in individual baking dishes each night. apple, banana, berry (diff each night) and made to order crepes w fruit and and ice cream stations. get there before 8pm. 

11 minutes ago, Charlene1985 said:

Sort alike a cobbler with cornstarch thickened fruit (changes every day) with a butter crumb topping according to my HAL recipe collection.  Simple, tasty, and easy for the kitchen to make.  The recipe calls for a touch of brandy.

Now i have to make one of these for myself!!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Sort alike a cobbler with cornstarch thickened fruit (changes every day) with a butter crumb topping according to my HAL recipe collection.  Simple, tasty, and easy for the kitchen to make.  The recipe calls for a touch of brandy.

Now i have to make one of these for myself!!

That is 1000X better than the weird stuff on the menus.  And no one ever has carrot cake anymore.  I love carrot cake. 

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

A good example is the availability of fruit crisps in the MDR.  

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Lido will have fresh hot cobblers in individual baking dishes each night. apple, banana, berry (diff each night)  

I suspect these two things are one and the same....

Charlene1985 - I love carrot cake too. I was on Niew Statendam for 24 days in

August. I don't think it was ever on menu for lunch at Lido or MDR at dinner or

at a specialty restaurant. I would have remembered that. The next time I cruise I 

will ask waiters in MDR if it's available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BetsyS. said:

Charlene1985 - I love carrot cake too. I was on Niew Statendam for 24 days in

August. I don't think it was ever on menu for lunch at Lido or MDR at dinner or

at a specialty restaurant. I would have remembered that. The next time I cruise I 

will ask waiters in MDR if it's available.

I have searched all of my Lido and MDR menus for the Caribbean season with no luck finding carrot cake.  A recipe to make it in my HAL recipe collection so maybe a special request can be made?

I will add ask when I am onboard next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

A good example is the availability of fruit crisps in the MDR.  If you ask, you can have them with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream to melt over the warm fruit.

On a recent cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam they were not available. I asked for the first week and none were available. Even checked the Desserts in the Lido and there were none. Nobody seemed to know what they were.

1 minute ago, Trapper44 said:

On a recent cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam they were not available. I asked for the first week and none were available. Even checked the Desserts in the Lido and there were none. Nobody seemed to know what they were.

My Zuiderdam waiter in April said the same thing, so I sent him to check.  The Assistant Maitre'd stopped by to say they were indeed available.  So, I had a delicious apple crisp that evening and moved the large scoop of vanilla ice cream from the side to the top of the warm pastry so that it could properly melt over the dessert.  The table near me noticed and ordered the same thing. My waiter apologized, thanked me for the tip, and said he would start recommending them. 

If enough CC Hal Forum ask for them, maybe they will find their way back on to the menus.

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Assistant Maitre'd stopped by to say they were indeed available.  So, I had a delicious apple crisp that evening and moved the large scoop of vanilla ice cream from the side to the top of the warm pastry so that it could properly melt over the dessert.  

If enough CC Hal Forum ask for them, maybe they will find their way back on to the menus.

Excellent information!!!!   Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

My Zuiderdam waiter in April said the same thing, so I sent him to check.  The Assistant Maitre'd stopped by to say they were indeed available.  So, I had a delicious apple crisp that evening and moved the large scoop of vanilla ice cream from the side to the top of the warm pastry so that it could properly melt over the dessert.  The table near me noticed and ordered the same thing. My waiter apologized, thanked me for the tip, and said he would start recommending them. 

Every waiter I asked said the same thing. I didn't want to cause a commotion so asked for cheese plate. I did ask him to please check and if not available then to bring a cheese plate. Maybe he didn't check, if so that would go along with some of the service on that 14 days.

34 minutes ago, Crew News said:

No thanks, would rather have other choices....  Of course I live in the south, home to fruit cobblers, crisps, crumbles and buckles.