Favorite Foods on the Mardi Gras!

chrcruiser

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Is this the one from the ship?!

Absolutely !

It was the first one I ever tried - and it was VERY good. So good, that I found a local place that was known for them after I arrived home. Turns out, it was nothing like the one onboard - what I received here was almost inedible, it was smothered in olives. I like olives, but not THIS many, and barely any meat/cheese!

i-G3tbwnD-M.jpg

Then, I thought I'd give "the original" a try, and ordered one through Goldbelly from Central Grocery in New Orleans. Well, guess what? I STILL preferred the one on the Mardi Gras. Perhaps it's like St. Pauli Girl beer  - "You never forget your first Girl"! 

i-9KdhLLj-M.jpg

i-PzssGsF-M.jpg

Can't wait to get back onboard and see if I've been deluding myself!!

Tom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Absolutely !

It was the first one I ever tried - and it was VERY good. So good, that I found a local place that was known for them after I arrived home. Turns out, it was nothing like the one onboard - what I received here was almost inedible, it was smothered in olives. I like olives, but not THIS many, and barely any meat/cheese!

i-G3tbwnD-M.jpg

Then, I thought I'd give "the original" a try, and ordered one through Goldbelly from Central Grocery in New Orleans. Well, guess what? I STILL preferred the one on the Mardi Gras. Perhaps it's like St. Pauli Girl beer  - "You never forget your first Girl"! 

i-9KdhLLj-M.jpg

i-PzssGsF-M.jpg

Can't wait to get back onboard and see if I've been deluding myself!!

Tom

Legend has it the Central Grocer invented muffuletta. Whenever I go to New Orleans, I stop and get one. That first picture is unrecognizable. However, judging by the pic of the Carnival one, that looks up there in quality.

• Like 2

Does Java Blue offer grab and go salads and sandwiches during dinner?  How late are they open and are the offerings good?  Thought it might be an option if we want to skip dinner, but have something in the cabin for a late snack.   

32 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Does Java Blue offer grab and go salads and sandwiches during dinner?  How late are they open and are the offerings good?  Thought it might be an option if we want to skip dinner, but have something in the cabin for a late snack.   

It had things in the morning (including lox and bagel, fruit, salads) but I recall the things being cleared out of there by later in the afternoon (well before Java Blue closed for the night).  You could potentially get something and put it in your room fridge (I think it was deep enough to hold those banquet type containers, but I'm not certain).   Imo it's definitely worth bringing some ziplocs or similar for holding onto some snacks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Can I get these for breakfast? What time do they open?

They open at 8 am so I imagine you can. We never had them for breakfast but that’s a great idea. I might try them for breakfast on the Celebration next month. 

8 hours ago, chrcruiser said:

Any suggestions on best place to eat for lunch on Embarkation Day?

I'd have suggested the Cucina or Chibang, as both are free for lunch, but unless something's changed since last fall neither is open for lunch on embark day on the Mardi Gras.  (We were bitterly disappointed since the pasta bowls and stir-fry, respectively, are great.)  

As I recall, we went to Guy's Pig'n'Anchor (outside, Deck 8 portside) for free BBQ and also to Shaq's Big Chicken, since the Lido Marketplace (main buffet) is typically jam-packed during embark.   There ARE some nifty options there, though, like SeaDogs and a shawarma station.  

Other free/included options include Guy's Burger Joint (located above the main Lido deck on the Mardi Gras), Blue Iguana Cantina, Piazza Panini (like the Carnival Deli), Street Eats (3 kiosks on Lido deck), and possibly the Fresh Creations salad bar in the Serenity area.  

19 hours ago, chrcruiser said:

Are there any sides available with your sandwich at Piazza Panini?

I thought for sure there were, but not according to the menus I've seen.  

Desserts ARE offered after 8 pm.  

I believe Piazza Panini closes at 10 pm, unfortunately, which is an hour earlier than when the Deli closes on every other ship.  

3 hours ago, bar10der421 said:

I don't know if it is available on all ships but on Legend in October I had a salmon dish that was in a puff pastry (like Wellington) and it was absolutely the best entree I have ever had on a cruise!

As part of their 50th anniversary, they were doing some 'throwback' entrees like that (salmon coubiliac).  Since we're in a new calendar year, I'm not sure if it will be back.  We recently did Hal, and they didn't serve it once (whereas 5 years ago I remember them having it a couple of times).  I'm also a fan. My local Lidl stores sell a salmon in a pastry shell, but still not the same as the freshly made version on a cruise ship.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I think someone played a cruel joke on me. I had half as much meat, and the top bread was twice as high. 

That's unfortunate - and I'd be willing to bet that the way they make these has changed (not for the better). I'll definitely order one again... fingers crossed that it somewhat resembles what "sold me" on that sandwich to begin with !

Tom

On 1/9/2023 at 5:33 PM, chrcruiser said:

Any suggestions on best place to eat for lunch on Embarkation Day?

We always head straight to Big Chicken (YUM!!) because lots of people have not discovered where it is on the ship yet!!

Or Guy's Burgers is always a hit, and delicious. The line on embarkation day will be hit-or-miss, but they usually serve everybody pretty efficiently.

** WE try to avoid the Buffet that first day ** 

On 1/2/2023 at 5:42 PM, chrcruiser said:

Anyone have food suggestions from the MDR?

Try the pumpkin soup if it is offered!

** You MUST enjoy the chocolate melting cake for dessert a couple times **

And my faves for dinners are:  jerk pork chop, braised beef ribs/brisket (can't remember exactly) , mashed potatoes with brown gravy, BBQ ribs, and meat lasagna.

-- If you go to MDR for a sit-down breakfast, try their French Toast. --