Beverage Package Gratuities not included

darstamp

17 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Just got our weekly NCL mailing, which of course features free at sea.

It states free specialty dining, but NOWHERE in the brochure does it state you get vouchers for 2 nights only. That’s misrepresentation.

Thank you for pointing that out. I was actually just looking at a Norwegian Cruise and I knew from a few years ago that all of the "free" stuff added on a huge amount, but I certainly didn't realize free specialty restaurants would mean 1-2 meals. This is the first thread that I clicked on and I'm still on page one, but wow, the comments look like they're from employees of a scammy business. A lot of blaming going on towards the few people surprised free specialty dining doesn't mean unlimited; or that free drinks added on hundreds of dollars (lol, laughable). Comes across as the one making noise is the one that got hit (translation, they are taking the surprise as a personal attack and striking back)!

I was under the impression the free specialty restaurants inclusion = just that, because when I've cruised other lines and been on those boards, occasionally someone will bring up how they love how they were on NCL and didn't have to pay all the extras for the drink package and specialty dining. Now again, I knew the price difference and other extras so I didn't buy into it as an apples-to-apples comparison, but I certainly didn't expect 1-2 meals as the "free specialty dining" advertised. I was thinking more along the lines of Virgin or some of the luxury lines that are still all-inclusive.

EDIT:

oh my gosh! I just read the comment about 150 minutes for internet in the "free wifi"

Yes, at this point it's just comical. Especially the berating for not being aware of the restrictions or to even ask about them. Sad, but comical -- and only comical because I know BEFORE paying/going.

Edited by MsOne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MsOne said:

Thank you for pointing that out. I was actually just looking at a Norwegian Cruise and I knew from a few years ago that all of the "free" stuff added on a huge amount, but I certainly didn't realize free specialty restaurants would mean 1-2 meals. This is the first thread that I clicked on and I'm still on page one, but wow, the comments look like they're from employees of a scammy business. A lot of blaming going on towards the few people surprised free specialty dining doesn't mean unlimited; or that free drinks added on hundreds of dollars (lol, laughable). Comes across as the one making noise is the one that got hit (translation, they are taking the surprise as a personal attack and striking back)!

I was under the impression the free specialty restaurants inclusion = just that, because when I've cruised other lines and been on those boards, occasionally someone will bring up how they love how they were on NCL and didn't have to pay all the extras for the drink package and specialty dining. Now again, I knew the price difference and other extras so I didn't buy into it as an apples-to-apples comparison, but I certainly didn't expect 1-2 meals as the "free specialty dining" advertised. I was thinking more along the lines of Virgin or some of the luxury lines that are still all-inclusive.

Thank you for posting.

At least one person understood my original message.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MsOne said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Virgin or some of the luxury lines that are still all-inclusive.

When you take a 'free financing for a year' deal to buy an appliance or furniture, do you assume you don't need to make a payment for that year and then can pay it off in full at the end of the term or do you read the terms of the promotion to find out you need to make equal payments over the term of the deal?

Buying a cruise is the same as any other major purchase - read the terms of the promotions and understand what you're getting.  As with anything, there is fine print that needs to be understood.  Imagine what the flyers would look like if everything was spelled out on the front...

FREE Airfare, for the second guest, 50% off airfare for solo travelers

FREE Unlimited open bar, drinks up to $15, pay the difference over $15 or upgrade to a higher drink package

FREE 2 nights of specialty dining, for some, based on cabin type and cruise length booked

FREE Excursions. (ok, I'll give you this one, but they do this to keep the "free" theme for Free At Sea and there ARE some excursions that are $50 or under)

Some of the promos vary by cabin and cruise length booked, they can't spell it all out on the front page of the material.  As for the assumption that it's all-inclusive as on some other lines, it's a matter of making an assumption vs. reading the terms of the promotion.  They grab your attention and draw you in, those that don't read deeper get caught off guard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MsOne said:

EDIT:

oh my gosh! I just read the comment about 150 minutes for internet in the "free wifi"

Yes, at this point it's just comical. Especially the berating for not being aware of the restrictions or to even ask about them. Sad, but comical -- and only comical because I know BEFORE paying/going.

You are obviously a NCL virgin and don't know how their marketing strategy works.  A smart consumer always looks at the fine print and should never make assumptions.  If you just look at the surface and assume that your getting unlimited wifi or specialty dining each night or a totally free drinks package then you'll be sadly mistaken when you find out the truth.

NCL is an entry level cruise line along with RCI, Carnival and MSC.  Each of them has their own distinctive way of trying to lure new customers and it's obvious that you don't like the way that they promote their product.  Only you can decide if a NCL cruise is right for you or not.  It's obvious that you don't like their marketing strategy, but at the same time you would have to be extremely foolish or just downright naive to think that an entry level cruise line was going to give you free unlimited specialty dining for each of your cruising nights as well as a totally free alcoholic drinks package with the gratuities already factored in.  This is not the first thread on the NCL forums from someone that doesn't like the marketing strategy of NCL, mistakenly assume that they get a drink package with included tips or free specialty dining every night of their cruise.  And there will be push back from the loyalists because NCL is their cruise line of choice.  The same things happen on other boards on CC as well, no matter the line.

The free drinks package that adds on hundreds is 20 bucks pppd to cover gratuities.  Nobody is forcing you to pay it, you have the option to opt out as many teetotalers do.  You also have the option to sail on MSC, where they have a free drinks promotion on occasion. Carnival and RCI don't have all inclusive pricing, but if you move a step up the chain, there are all in pricing packages on Celebrity, Princess or HAL.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Do you remember what the cost was then? The lowest that I remember was $59pppd but I didn't sail NCL until around 2015 and I've never paid for the UBP/PBP. 

From the Freestyle Daily on the Breakaway transatlantic in 2013:

”The Ultimate Beverage Package: Enjoy a wide selection fo soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass. During your entire cruise for only $49.00 per/day.”

The beverage package had not been around for long at that time, so I think this was its original price.

33 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

My “free” beverage package for my July, 7 day Alaska cruise is costing me $21.80 per day for the service fee. I will never, ever complain about that. For me, It’s a steal!

You may think it's a steal but you have no idea of how much those "free" beverages are really costing you because their true cost is hidden/included in the fare you pay.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

You may think it's a steal but you have no idea of how much those "free" beverages are really costing you because their true cost is hidden/included in the fare you pay.

I book my cruises with the price/cabin I’m willing to pay. By NCL offering a beverage package for an extra $152 for the week as opposed to paying for drinks as I go, it’s a no brainer for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here we go with this again.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

I book my cruises with the price/cabin I’m willing to pay. By NCL offering a beverage package for an extra $152 for the week as opposed to paying for drinks as I go, it’s a no brainer for me

NCL isn't offering a beverage package for an extra $152 for the week.  The true price of those drinks is included in the fare you're paying.  Just because something isn't listed as a line item, doesn't mean it's 

free.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

NCL isn't offering a beverage package for an extra $152 for the week.  The true price of those drinks is included in the fare you're paying.  Just because something isn't listed as a line item, doesn't mean it's 

free.

and all one needs to do to figure out what it costs is compare the sail-away rate (which does not include the specialty dining, drinks, WiFi or the ability to select your cabin during booking) with the FAS rate.  It's often a better deal to book the FAS rate IF the beverage package and dining are something you want.

Also, there are RARE cruises where the sail-away rate is HIGHER than the FAS rate.

• Like 3

free.

How difficult is it to take the price they quote with the perks and subtract the frills free sailaway rate?  The difference is what you pay for the perks.  That is of course you can find a sail away rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

and all one needs to do to figure out what it costs is compare the sail-away rate (which does not include the specialty dining, drinks, WiFi or the ability to select your cabin during booking) with the FAS rate.  It's often a better deal to book the FAS rate IF the beverage package and dining are something you want.

Also, there are RARE cruises where the sail-away rate is HIGHER than the FAS rate.

But other cruise lines that do not have NCL’s perks also have similar guaranteed stateroom rates.  

On 12/24/2022 at 9:43 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Beg to differ.

If I have FAS, there may be times when my specialty dining is NOT free.

Because you knowingly, intentionally pick something that is excluded from the package?  

Is that like Megamillions where you can “double up” except if you win something big? 

Or like the other night where a passenger was arguing in Palomar that she should be able to order the salt baked whole fish for two because it didn’t list an upcharge. And that it didn’t matter that she was a single diner and no one else in her family wanted to split the fish with her. 

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Because you knowingly, intentionally pick something that is excluded from the package?  

Is that like Megamillions where you can “double up” except if you win something big? 

Or like the other night where a passenger was arguing in Palomar that she should be able to order the salt baked whole fish for two because it didn’t list an upcharge. And that it didn’t matter that she was a single diner and no one else in her family wanted to split the fish with her. 

No.

Because if I have used my 2 vouchers already, my next visit to a specialty restaurant is NOT free.

But thanks for the somewhat complex analysis.

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Because if I have used my 2 vouchers already, my next visit to a specialty restaurant is NOT free.

You seem overly fixated on an assumption that "Free specialty dining' means you get to eat at a specialty venue every night.  An assumption that is easily disputed when you read the terms of the promo.  The advertisement has an indicator on it that when you look into it indicates that there may be restrictions and further information needs to be researched.  Reading these terms is part of being an informed consumer.

You ARE getting free specialty dining, the number of nights is dependent on how many nights the cruise is and what room you booked, just not free specialty dining every night (which is not implied in the material, or even implied with the 'FREE specialty dining' in the headline of the promo)...

Let me guess - you're also one of those that assumes you'll get a brand new cell phone if your phone fails within the warranty period, and then complains when the manufacturer says you're getting a refurbished device.  Hint - the warranty, if you read it, says they have the right to repair your phone with refurbished parts or replace it with a refurbished device.

Edited by hallux

13 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

How difficult is it to take the price they quote with the perks and subtract the frills free sailaway rate?  The difference is what you pay for the perks.  That is of course you can find a sail away rate.

One would think that could work except one doesn't know what other games the cruise lines are playing with pricing.  For example, NCL might be inflating the price of the sale away to encourage passengers to take the "Free" perks.

But let me ask you this quesions:

-  does anyone truly believe the second guest sails "free"?

- or do you believe the cruise line has inflated the first guest price to pay for the second guest's "free" cruise?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hallux said:

They do, what's the point?

My point is that people like claim that the sailaway rate is the price with cost of the perks backed out.  If that’s true then what are RCL and CCL reason for having the same rates?  Are they just flat out overcharging everyone?   

As much as a certain poster wants to protest about the everything “free” is just NCL over charging everyone, that is just a really bad explanation.