More Club Orange questions - 3/4th guest; guarantees, age restrictions?

LMaxwell

I did not want to create any thread drift or thread hijacking in someone else's Club Orange topic so felt it more appropriate to start my own. 

I have heard CO mentioned as a "no wait" type of situation for breakfast and dinner in the special CO restaurant for Pinnacle class ships. I have also read reports that CO was "overrun" on some cruises. Is it designed to be a no wait situation as part of HAL's offer? 

3rd and 4th guest are not charged for CO but says they get all the amenities except a glass of champagne; has anyone experienced onboard with a 3rd or 4th guest in the same room? Any issue in the 3rd guest being able to use the restaurant? Do all the guests receive the CO card or notification on their card? 

Is there any age restrictions on the 3rd/4th guest? I can find no mention of this at all on HAL website. has anyone experienced? 

We never book guarantee rooms. I prefer to select our room after looking at deck plans and what's above/below/around a room. That said, is the best way to take advantage of CO to book, for example, a balcony guarantee and then purchase CO and HAL will offer me then a selection of numbered rooms in a better category to choose from (within the balcony category)? Has anyone booked a guarantee, purchased CO, and then NOT been able to move up within a category? Was this because the category was full, or because you had booked a guarantee to start? Must you originally select your own room and then add CO...I guess I am asking, is the in-category upgrade good if you start with a guarantee room? 

Is the CO menu MDR menu with additional entree, or a different menu? (Pinnacle class) 

If CO restaurant is full, can we go to MDR and have full CO menu offerings? 

I am trying to determine if the dining upgrade is REALLY an upgrade, or not really; and also trying to determine the best way to understand and consider the in-category upgrade. I'd also like to ensure there is no age restriction and that if we book with a 3rd in the room they really do get the access and amenities. 

Also...where in the booking process do you book CO?  During the original booking?  After the original booking as an add-on, like an excursion or amenity purchase? 

Edited by LMaxwell

We've eaten in the Club Orange dining room on Rotterdam and Koningsdam and enjoyed it very much.  It's open seating, with no reservations, BUT there was definitely a "busy time", which seemed to vary for each sailing, depending on the preferences of those passengers.  (and, as in the MDR, the first night may be more crowded).   We prefer to eat later and never had to wait if arriving at 7:30 or later.  We were told that the busy time on the Thanksgiving Rotterdam cruise was 5:30-6:30.

I usually ate breakfast within the first 1/2 hour it was open and never waited.   There was never many others there.  Highly recommend it for breakfast, since the food is cooked right there and comes out quick and hot.

Yes, you can also eat in the MDR, but we never did, so don't know about that.  We enjoyed the quiet CO dining room, although I didn't think it was particularly attractive.

48 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Also...where in the booking process do you book CO?  During the original booking?  After the original booking as an add-on, like an excursion or amenity purchase? 

I can answer from what my experience was. I looked and found several cabins shown as available prior to booking. I called my TA and booked an obstructed veranda. I then told TA I wanted to book Club Orange and upgrade my room. The TA called HAL to book Club Orange and conferenced me in on the call. The HAL agent tried to say that I could book Club Orange but I would have to wait until I boarded to choose my room. I said that didn't make sense and was not the way it worked. After checking with someone she asked what room I desired. I told her the room number for our first choice and after checking, she said it was available and I could have it. I had to pay the Club Orange charge before they gave me the room. We have not yet sailed so cannot answer about anything else.

I did need the confirmation number so I guess you could add it later but prior to the cruise, using the confirmation number.

Edited by Trapper44

44 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I did not want to create any thread drift or thread hijacking in someone else's Club Orange topic so felt it more appropriate to start my own. 

I have heard CO mentioned as a "no wait" type of situation for breakfast and dinner in the special CO restaurant for Pinnacle class ships. I have also read reports that CO was "overrun" on some cruises. Is it designed to be a no wait situation as part of HAL's offer? 

There can be a wait if you come at the wrong time - but only based on my experience so far - it’s been 5 minutes.  One couple at the Mariner recognition thing told me they had 20 minutes.  

Stay tuned as I will certainly report on my lIve thread.

We never book guarantee rooms. I prefer to select our room after looking at deck plans and what's above/below/around a room. That said, is the best way to take advantage of CO to book, for example, a balcony guarantee and then purchase CO and HAL will offer me then a selection of numbered rooms in a better category to choose from (within the balcony category)? Has anyone booked a guarantee, purchased CO, and then NOT been able to move up within a category? Was this because the category was full, or because you had booked a guarantee to start? Must you originally select your own room and then add CO...I guess I am asking, is the in-category upgrade good if you start with a guarantee room? 

I booked a VH guarantee and then with CO selected the room of my choice and have it for all of my B2B2B’s 😊   

Is the CO menu MDR menu with additional entree, or a different menu? (Pinnacle class) 

Definitely an additional offering and often very good.  You won’t get it if you go to the MDR.

If CO restaurant is full, can we go to MDR and have full CO menu offerings? 

I am trying to determine if the dining upgrade is REALLY an upgrade, or not really; and also trying to determine the best way to understand and consider the in-category upgrade. I'd also like to ensure there is no age restriction and that if we book with a 3rd in the room they really do get the access and amenities. 

You or your TA need to call and book it - it’s easy.  Do it before the capacity is hit

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

You or your TA need to call and book it - it’s easy.  Do it before the capacity is hit

Ok so that begs a whole new question; how do I know if CO is at capacity at the time when I book the guarantee cabin? The GTY would only be a placeholder in that case. But if CO is at capacity, I don't want a GTY and will just pay to select a cabin 

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Q: I have heard CO mentioned as a "no wait" type of situation for breakfast and dinner in the special CO restaurant for Pinnacle class ships. I have also read reports that CO was "overrun" on some cruises. Is it designed to be a no wait situation as part of HAL's offer?

A: If CO dining room is full, the host will give you a pager.  You can wait just outside CO or nearby at the Ocean Bar.  We had that happen twice last week but it was less than a 10 minute wait.  We tried the MDR also one evening and, although seated right away, found the wait once seated to be longer than when we waited to be seated at CO.

Q: 3rd and 4th guest are not charged for CO but says they get all the amenities except a glass of champagne; has anyone experienced onboard with a 3rd or 4th guest in the same room? Any issue in the 3rd guest being able to use the restaurant? Do all the guests receive the CO card or notification on their card?

A: We just did CO on the Nieuw Statendam with 3 in cabin.  3rd got the same amenities as first two--including first night champagne at CO dining room.  All guests get the orange Club Orange stripe on their card so everyone gets the same priority privileges.

Q: Is there any age restrictions on the 3rd/4th guest? I can find no mention of this at all on HAL website. has anyone experienced? 

A: No age restrictions for 3rd/4th guest.  If under 21, they don't get the champagne but every other CO benefit is identical as 1st and 2nd in cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trapper44 said:

The HAL agent tried to say that I could book Club Orange but I would have to wait until I boarded to choose my room. 

Hahahaaaaaa....  "wait until you board to choose your room!?" 

This gets my vote for HAL's "Dumbest Answer of the Year" award! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Q: I have heard CO mentioned as a "no wait" type of situation for breakfast and dinner in the special CO restaurant for Pinnacle class ships. I have also read reports that CO was "overrun" on some cruises. Is it designed to be a no wait situation as part of HAL's offer?

A: If CO dining room is full, the host will give you a pager.  You can wait just outside CO or nearby at the Ocean Bar.  We had that happen twice last week but it was less than a 10 minute wait.  We tried the MDR also one evening and, although seated right away, found the wait once seated to be longer than when we waited to be seated at CO.

Q: 3rd and 4th guest are not charged for CO but says they get all the amenities except a glass of champagne; has anyone experienced onboard with a 3rd or 4th guest in the same room? Any issue in the 3rd guest being able to use the restaurant? Do all the guests receive the CO card or notification on their card?

A: We just did CO on the Nieuw Statendam with 3 in cabin.  3rd got the same amenities as first two--including first night champagne at CO dining room.  All guests get the orange Club Orange stripe on their card so everyone gets the same priority privileges.

Q: Is there any age restrictions on the 3rd/4th guest? I can find no mention of this at all on HAL website. has anyone experienced? 

A: No age restrictions for 3rd/4th guest.  If under 21, they don't get the champagne but every other CO benefit is identical as 1st and 2nd in cabin.

Great insights and very helpful! 

What were your impressions of the CO room on NS? I usually like a nice view and that seemed odd w the semi-frosted windows; but maybe the cooking action is more of a show/attraction? 

20 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Great insights and very helpful! 

What were your impressions of the CO room on NS? I usually like a nice view and that seemed odd w the semi-frosted windows; but maybe the cooking action is more of a show/attraction? 

Here are a couple of NS CO dining room photos someone posted on Cruisedeckplans: NiePla-57679-1577723477.webpNiePla-44314-1577814847.webp

Our overall impression of this dining room was that it was really nice service.  It was much quieter and less hectic than the MDR.  We found the service to be faster and more attentive than the MDR too.  With the exception of one CO dinner entree cooked in the CO kitchen, it has been stated that all other entrees come from the MDR kitchen.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of.  Breakfast is cooked fresh in the CO kitchen though so it is nice and hot when you get it.  As far as the view goes, you can still get a partial ocean view through the non-frosted portions of the windows. 

The CO dining room decor could use a refresh but it was comfortable and functional.  Apparently the room was originally intended to be used as "America's Test Kitchen" but that changed while the ship was being built but was too late to change.  The new Rotterdam's CO looks much classier--maybe they will update the NS's when the ship goes into dry dock (supposedly Nov 2023).

Edited by AFNavigator
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 7:22 PM, kazu said:

Definitely an additional offering and often very good.  You won’t get it if you go to the MDR.

This is an inaccurate statement. I have been been told several times that if you have Club Orange, you should get a different menu if dining in the MDR which includes the additional selection.

7 hours ago, funntheson said:

This is an inaccurate statement. I have been been told several times that if you have Club Orange, you should get a different menu if dining in the MDR which includes the additional selection.

We did but that was on a non Pinnacle class ship where there was not a separate CO dinning room.

10 hours ago, funntheson said:

While you do get a different menu (usually white for some reason) many times I had to ask for it after being given the standard one.

• Like 1

If your group is okay going to dinner around the same time each night, you can let the CO host know your preferred dining time and they may hold a table for you - less likely to wait. As always, doesn't hurt to let the host know your preferences on the first day, also builds a relationship with them. My nephew considered CO as one of the highlights of his cruise, your kids will enjoy it too I'm sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 12:17 AM, LMaxwell said:

Ok so that begs a whole new question; how do I know if CO is at capacity at the time when I book the guarantee cabin? The GTY would only be a placeholder in that case. But if CO is at capacity, I don't want a GTY and will just pay to select a cabin 

You could call club orange first or alternatively book your guarantee cabin depending on who you book it with and then say you want club orange.

Sorry I’m behind but I hope that helps

On 12/22/2022 at 12:48 AM, julia said:

Hahahaaaaaa....  "wait until you board to choose your room!?" 

This gets my vote for HAL's "Dumbest Answer of the Year" award! 

Absolutely not correct. I had club orange and guarantee cabin and was able to book my cabin for all three back2back2backs When I booked my club Orange.  Same cabin of my choice for all three segments

On 12/28/2022 at 1:01 AM, funntheson said:

You have been TOLD?  I am speaking from personal experience just back from the Koningsdam and I had club Orange.  My statement is not inaccurate.The menu is the same as in the dining room except that it has Club Orange stamped on it and is prettier to look at. The waiter comes or the maître d’ and tells you what the club orange special is  for the night and describes it and usually recommends it above what’s in the menu.

Also of interest, I was told that all the meals were cooked by the Chef’s in club orange.   Nothing came from the MDR kitchen. I too thought it was only the special but I watched and definitely the chef was doing it.

Of course, I was only on the ship and in club orange so what do I know?

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 9:01 PM, funntheson said:

In the early days of Club Orange in the MDR we received a different menu for Club Orange with the added entree listed.  HAL has probably changed that procedure. It wasn’t very efficient.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

You have been TOLD?  I am speaking from personal experience just back from the Koningsdam and I had club Orange.  My statement is not inaccurate.The menu is the same as in the dining room except that it has Club Orange stamped on it and is prettier to look at. The waiter comes or the maître d’ and tells you what the club orange special is  for the night and describes it and usually recommends it above what’s in the menu.

Yes, inaccurate, seeing as how your statement was: "Definitely an additional offering and often very good.  You won’t get it if you go to the MDR." 

9 hours ago, funntheson said:

Yes, inaccurate, seeing as how your statement was: "Definitely an additional offering and often very good.  You won’t get it if you go to the MDR." 

Oh for crying out loud - ok if ou are eating in the MDR and do not hve Club Orange.’

But, For the record I believe if you are on a pinnacle class ship, in order  to get the club orange additional entrée you need to eat in club orange.  I ate in the MDR one night and the waiter had no idea what the club warrant special was nor could he offer it.  YMMV

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kazu said:

Absolutely not correct. I had club orange and guarantee cabin and was able to book my cabin for all three back2back2backs When I booked my club Orange.  Same cabin of my choice for all three segments

Well of COURSE you were able to choose your upgrade when you BOOKED Club Orange!  You weren't told by a rep to "wait until you were onboard to choose your cabin!!"  (Which was what my statement was referring to from an earlier post!)